Location of compass module in Jetta SportWagen (Please help!)

4cefed4

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI
I've tried searching and posting in some pre-existing threads, but I have yet to come up with a definite answer.

I recently converted my 2010 JSW that originally came with the RCD-510 radio to the RNS-510 nav unit. All of the online walk thrus mention disconnecting the compass module in the rear of the vehicle. Supposedly on JSWs and Golfs it is found under the headliner near the shark fin antenna, but after pulling down my headliner all I saw was a single wire and connector going from the shark fin to the radio for the Sirius antenna. Can someone please describe to me in as much detail as possible where this compass module is on my car? I'd really like to avoid dropping the entire headliner so that I can find it. :(

Thanks in a advance.

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
4cefed4 said:
I've tried searching and posting in some pre-existing threads, but I have yet to come up with a definite answer.

I recently converted my 2010 JSW that originally came with the RCD-510 radio to the RNS-510 nav unit. All of the online walk thrus mention disconnecting the compass module in the rear of the vehicle. Supposedly on JSWs and Golfs it is found under the headliner near the shark fin antenna, but after pulling down my headliner all I saw was a single wire and connector going from the shark fin to the radio for the Sirius antenna. Can someone please describe to me in as much detail as possible where this compass module is on my car? I'd really like to avoid dropping the entire headliner so that I can find it. :(

Thanks in a advance.
I just did this and posted a thread here about it. It definitely is in there. It's slightly to the left of the shark fin and the module is attached to the roof. If you look too far in, you'll miss it. It's very near to the edge of the headliner exposed when you pull down that single piece of trim. I had eased back the two pillars to let the headliner move a bit more, but that was when I thought it was further in under the headliner.

Stupid question, but you definitely do have the compass module right? You had the orientation displayed in the MFD before installing the nav?

4cefed4

TDI
Trepex said:
I just did this and posted a thread here about it. It definitely is in there. It's slightly to the left of the shark fin and the module is attached to the roof. If you look too far in, you'll miss it. It's very near to the edge of the headliner exposed when you pull down that single piece of trim. I had eased back the two pillars to let the headliner move a bit more, but that was when I thought it was further in under the headliner.

Stupid question, but you definitely do have the compass module right? You had the orientation displayed in the MFD before installing the nav?
I definitely have a compass module, or something having cardinal directions show up on my MFD before and after going from RCD-510 to RNS-510.

I might have been looking too far in, I'll try unclipping the c-pillar covers as well and seeing if that helps. When I removed the rear trim and pulled the headliner down, all I saw was the base of the sharkfin with and single wire going to it, and closer to the center of the trailing edge of the panoranic roof was something that I guessed was a motor for the sunshade, with a couple of larger gauge harnesses connecting to it. Would I would be correct in guessing that I would need a mirror to look up and see the compass module after pulling down the headliner, like it is up and behind your field of vision?

Do you have a link to your thread? Thanks for the help! :)

4cefed4

TDI
Thank you very much for posting that image. Can you just help me get my bearing? That looks like the underside of a trunk lid. I really saw next to no wires when I pulled down my headliner previously. I am getting my VAG-COM tomorrow, once I do the programming changes I'm going to pull down the headliner and take a better look.

Jim'stdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
That image is suppose to be of an 09 JSW. The 010 info isn't available. The other wire in the picture am guessing goes to the spoiler light.

4cefed4

TDI
Ahh, that makes sense. Knowing that should definitely help me get my orientation. Thanks again!!

4cefed4

TDI
Well after first disconnecting another black connector (which apparently was for the locking mechanism judging by how I had to climb over the rear seats to get back to the trunk after closing it), I was able to find the compass module to disconnect and remove it. Thanks again everyone for your help, it is much appreciated.

Jim'stdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Was it to the left of the antenna like in the drawing? I will be doing this upgrade soon so this will help me too. Also is there a satellite tuner somewhere you have to disconnect?

4cefed4

TDI
Jim'stdi said:
Was it to the left of the antenna like in the drawing? I will be doing this upgrade soon so this will help me too. Also is there a satellite tuner somewhere you have to disconnect?
Yes, looking in from the trunk opening it will be to the left of the antenna, a little closer towards the front of the car. It is literally attached to the roof of the car with velcro, so just pull it down and then disconnect the harness plug with it somewhere that's easier to reach. Here is a picture of the compass module, it's about 3.5" x 2.5" big.

sjjaskow

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M
Just a question not related to the location of the compass mod, but what is the total price for this presumably DIY upgrade? Which is more cost efficient going with a DIY or getting it pre-installed?

4cefed4

TDI
sjjaskow said:
Just a question not related to the location of the compass mod, but what is the total price for this presumably DIY upgrade? Which is more cost efficient going with a DIY or getting it pre-installed?
Total cost is going to vary, but no matter how you slice it you're going to save money going the DIY route. To give you an idea...

-RNS-510 Unit: $1550 (new), I got a 2 month old one for $1050
-VAG-COM Micro-CAN for programming: $249 (new), I bought used for $200, or you can use the VAG-COM locator and find somebody local to do it for $20.
-You can also sell your stock RCD-510 unit, these go for $500-550.

At the end of the day, I spent $750 for a RNS-510 and a Ross-Tech VCDS cable, versus spending a minimum of $1581 (the invoice price on a RNS-510 factory installed) for just a pre-installed nav. :D

nasTTcar

TDI
Jetta TDI - 2006
2 VW techs from 2 dealerships, plus me, cannot find the compass module in my 2012 JSW with pano roof.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
IIRC it's in the rear hatch. They are mounted with some tape IIRC.

EvilLawnGnome

TDI
2000 Jetta
2 VW techs from 2 dealerships, plus me, cannot find the compass module in my 2012 JSW with pano roof.
Just bought a 2012 JSW with a pano roof and am trying to replace the stereo. I want to get rid of the compass module so that I can get nav on my MFD, but I cannot for the life of me find the bastard. Just like you, it is most definitely <i>not</i> not behind the sunroof. Did you end up finding yours?

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
The compass module in my 2013 JSW is between the headliner and the roof in the back near the hatch opening. It's to the left of the shark fin.