If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I doubt I'l find all the features I want with great fuel economy I would like. That being what it is, IF I CAN AFFORD IT, a BMW 328d Wagon with x-drive, or an Audi A4 Allroad with a 2.0T. I'm staying wagon and German, unless something really fine jumps my way. First choice, however is to keep Ruby.

11JSWTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta SW 6MT(sold)
My driving needs have changed (now retired so no longer have a commute) but a GTI, Golf R and BMW 230i are on my short list of replacements. I am not ready to give up that 3rd pedal so no Audis (at least at the present time) made the list. My other vehicle is a BMW X3 so don't really need the cargo capacity any longer.

rte2MA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I was going crazy trying to figure this out. So I decided to pick up a second vehicle right now (something *completely* different), kick the TDI can down the road, and see how things look in another year or two. I'm doing a lot of biking these days, so I just pulled the trigger on small cargo van (Ford Transit Connect) which is perfect for bike transport and car camping.

My bike fits standing upright without taking any wheels off and the TC is only 4" wider and 6" longer than my Golf. MPGs are not too terribly awful at 23/29. If you're into cycling, this turns out to be sort of a dream ride.

Then again, it's a van, so I'm glad I've still got my TDI. But thinking about having two vehicles is a lot easier than trying to cram everything I want into one. I can get a ton of cargo space in the van (although it's an automatic), and then I could go for more of a driver's car (manual) elsewhere - like maybe a GTI or a Civic or a Mazda3. Or a Miata. :cool:

rac

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Mazda CX-5, Mazda 6, Honda Accord, Volvo S60 Inscription is my sorta short list. Trying to figure out if there's any real utility for me with a small SUV. I only commute about 20 miles a day total these days.

bryce850

TDI
15 Passat TDI SEL
Half ton truck or even a 3/4 ton no longer drive like when we first bought the tdi, so I want something more useful.

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Already bought it's replacement. 2015 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I Wanted a mustang and to get back into a V8 but Mustang isn't practical everyday vehicle for the mountains and snow. So quick SUV ended up on the short list. Have had it almost 3 months and I love it. It's easily my most favorite vehicle I have owned. Only drawback is 15MPG, and the price. :cool:
Great choice. I have an SRT. Love it

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
One of my co-workers brought up a good point...
I had been considering letting Vw buy my passat back and getting into a new Jeep Wrangler for the days I want to go offroading.
But he asked me "What happens if, while you are offroading, you break something? Then you wouldnt have a car to get to work"
I feel like such a dumba** because I hadn't thought about that. The newer Jeep Wrangler comes with a Dana 30 front axle which is rather insufficient at anything more than just dirt roads. Unless you upgrade to the Rubicon which comes with Dana 40's.
So maybe, after further consideration, I will take Vw's "Keep your car" money and buy a used Jeep. That way I can have something for offroad, something for DD duties, and if one breaks I will always have the other.
I have been so torn because I love my Passat, but I really wanted to get an offroader since I live in the middle of the desert.
You will love the Wrangler. I believe the one we have is fairly durable. Not great on the highway. Took it on a road trip last week to Baltimore. My wife was really happy to get back to her Golf.

For us, it is most likely a Touareg or a GTI.

Last edited:

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
We bought a 2014 Passat TDI last friday with 16K miles for 22K out the door and no payments for 90 days. We are replacing a 2012 Jetta TDI with 30K that we owe $13k on. So with the $22K from the jetta and the $7800 bribe money for the passat I'd say we scored!!

toomscj7

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Looking at a used BMW 325i that I can just pay cash for. I'll use the extra to pay off my F150.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Well my first dip into diesel world didn't work out so well so I'm thinking hybrid of some sorts - can't get electric or plugin anything because as a condo dweller I have nowhere to plug-in at home. I'm in the minority of TDI owners (it seems) that actually bought VW diesel mainly for its economy and "cleanliness".
Don't like large cars so that eliminates a lot of options right off the back. I rented a Prius for vacation couple of years ago and did not like driving it all - not a large car but felt like driving a school bus. That was the previous generation Prius and the new one supposed to be better handling but I just can't get over its looks and I still do not like that dashboard.
There is a Hundai Ioniq hybrid coming out in 4th quarter that looks interesting - looks more conservative than Prius and it actually has a dual clutch transmission. Performance wise though, it's expected to be a 10s+ 0-60 car - that will be tough coming from 2015 Golf TDI's torque. Hmm...?
Honestly, what I would really want and be very interested in is a Golf with the Jetta hybrid's drivetrain and batteries under the back seat - that does not exist though.
At this point I'm thinking about test driving that Hyndai Ioniq hybrid and see how it feels. If I don't like it, than maybe wait and see if Honda releases Civic hybrid for 2017 - hatchback would be ideal but that might be too much to wish for. Might have to go for 2017 Civic hatchback with the 1.5 Turbo engine - 31mpg in the city and 42mpg on highway does not sound too bad in a non-hybrid.
I'm just such a niche market...
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid ... no plug available even..... 800-1000 miles a tank of fuel. I getting back about the same as I'm paying for a beautiful 2015 Lincoln...less the tax, title, registration. Ending up paying about 5 grand for driving the Passat 4.5 thousand miles.

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid ... no plug available even..... 800-1000 miles a tank of fuel. I getting back about the same as I'm paying for a beautiful 2015 Lincoln...less the tax, title, registration. Ending up paying about 5 grand for driving the Passat 4.5 thousand miles.
Nice looking car, just wish it wasn't a tarted up Ford Fusion.

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
From the buy back plus goodwill Visa and a couple of grand, I will replace my Sportwagen with a newer used A4 Avant S Line with less than 50k on the odo. Still need a wagon and since I am retired, fuel economy is no longer a priority. Drove an A3 last year in Bavaria and fell in love.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Nice! The new Lacrosse looks pretty nice. I could certainly see myself cruising in it.
I'll actually be at the Tech Center in Warren, working in the Connectivity group.
Fun connections. I'm a GMI grad from before it was Kettering. :D

blackhat840

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL BLUE/Black Leather
Seeing how my Passat TDI SEL has been the biggest piece of junk I've owned for a VW, I'll never buy another VW product after this. I've been trying to get out of this car since before the scandal broke but I was upside down in my loan, but now I'll be making out with 5k plus my loan will be paid since I owe much less than what I may be getting from the buy back.

I will however be staying with diesel so my choice is either a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel or the Grand Cherokee Overland Ecodiesel that gets up to 30 MPG on the highway and I can pull my trailer behind it :-D

SemperFido

TDI
2010 Audio Q7 Prestige 3.0 TDI
Seeing how my Passat TDI SEL has been the biggest piece of junk I've owned for a VW, I'll never buy another VW product after this. I've been trying to get out of this car since before the scandal broke but I was upside down in my loan, but now I'll be making out with 5k plus my loan will be paid since I owe much less than what I may be getting from the buy back.

I will however be staying with diesel so my choice is either a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel or the Grand Cherokee Overland Ecodiesel that gets up to 30 MPG on the highway and I can pull my trailer behind it :-D

Nice rig! I just looked it up because I was interested but the Overland with the Eco Diesel starts at 50K. Wow! Nice rig like I said but man 50K would really hurt my feelings.

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Nice rig! I just looked it up because I was interested but the Overland with the Eco Diesel starts at 50K. Wow! Nice rig like I said but man 50K would really hurt my feelings.
Would be cheaper than a new Q7.

Do you like the Q7? It has a 3rd room so I may consider it.

blackhat840

TDI
Yea, if you are going for the Overland trim then you are over 50k, but I've seen quite a few of these new going for around 46k, used they are going for around 40k in that trim which is what I'm looking at. However, I would be willing to take a Limited Trim with the Diesel to save a couple of dollars.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
We'll probably be getting a leftover modified TDI Touareg if they're available or a 1-2 year old Toyota Sequoia.

Blackhat, I would stay far far away from the VM Motori diesel.....

blackhat840

TDI
We'll probably be getting a leftover modified TDI Touareg if they're available or a 1-2 year old Toyota Sequoia.

Blackhat, I would stay far far away from the VM Motori diesel.....
Why so? Do you have some information to share that would be relevant? I know two people with the RAM and it's been just fine.

rjacobs

TDI
2015 Jetta S 6mt
I have my eye on the new Honda Civic for a replacement.
I went and looked at them last week. I was VERY under whelmed. I wont say there was one big glaring thing that stood out, but for the money(and Honda is VERY tight with their negotiations), I just wasnt impressed.

treweman

TDI
2012 A3 TDI
My 2015 Golf TDI with the DSG transmission is my first VW and my first diesel car. I had fallen in love with a Golf TSI with Blue Motion (I wish VW offered BM here) I had driven in England but opted for the TDI because my highway commute could benefit from the fuel economy. Little did I expect dieselgate less than a year after I purchased the car. At the time of purchase, I had briefly toyed with the idea of a GTI but figured I'd be sensible and get the most economical but fun-to-drive ICE car I could afford. In fact, this car has easily been the best car I've driven and, at least until the scandal broke, I couldn't help singing its praises to all my friends.

I hate giving a company like VW, which committed fraud for so many years and is justly paying a heavy price, any of my money. But I've made a mid-life career change recently and my commute is now about five miles in mostly stop-and-go local traffic with only an occasional highway trip to help me get the most out of the TDI. In hindsight, had I foreseen this change in jobs, I probably wouldnt have bought the TDI after all. It looks like the '15 TDI is fixable but I can't help wondering what such a fix will do to fuel economy and/or performance and whether it will only create headaches down the road. Maybe it's time to end my very brief adventure with diesels.

So I can't help toying with the idea of a GTI. The Alltrack also looks interesting but I seldom need to carry a lot of stuff. Maybe a sports hatch so popular with the young folks is silly for a college prof in his fifties to consider. But the idea of having some fun is hard to pass up. Decisions, decisions.
We seem to be in much the same situation. I'm a college prof as well, a bit older than you, and had a similar life change that turned a 55 mile commute into a 3 mile one. I love my 2012 Audi A3 TDI, but will in all likelihood take advantage of the buyback. I think I've narrowed my choices down to three cars: a new GTI, a new MINI Cooper S, or a used Porsche Cayman Base. When I bought my Audi, the choice came down to that or a GTI. I drove a MINI for 7 years and still miss it. And the Cayman ... it's been my dream car. Obviously can't afford to buy one new, and any used one I buy will undoubtedly be out of warranty, which is a concern. But with a very short commute, I'm less worried about gas mileage, and the fun factor has become something of a priority. In fact, I've looked at buying both a Cayman for longer trips, and a cheap, beater regular cab pickup for daily commutes and errands. While I suspect that the rational side of me will opt for the GTI - decent gas mileage, high on the fun factor, and a new car warranty - I did call about a Cayman this morning that has me excited.

soccerpeople

TDI
2010 TDI Manual
I went and looked at them last week. I was VERY under whelmed. I wont say there was one big glaring thing that stood out, but for the money(and Honda is VERY tight with their negotiations), I just wasnt impressed.
I test drove the Civic turbo today and loved it. Excellent MPG (31/42), great acceleration in sport mode and the technology blows away my TDI. Also every Honda I have owned has been super reliable, unlike the Golf which has had one major issue every year I have owned it. The price is right at around 24,000 for the EXL Nav with Turbo....

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hopefully incentives are good for buying another VW. I was considering the Golf R, but unless you drive the crap out of one a GTI feels pretty much the same. I think I'd rather spend the extra money for tune and mods anyway. Not much else is out there for the price I'm looking at new.

Used on the other hand is pretty interesting. Keep in mind that I set my budget to $30k max. A e90 M3 is one car that peaks my interest. Keeping a hatchback limits things a bit, but a X5 35D is also in that range too.

Though I still have a soft spot for vw even after the dieselgate fiasco. The mk7 gti really hits a home run for pretty much all I'm looking for in a car.