If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I just heard about the buyback program today and was considering what to do. I have a 2013 with a manual trans and about 88,000 on the clock. The only money I've put into the car was for brand new tires about two months ago. The turbo went but that was warranty about two years ago.

If you guys are considering doing buyback what vehicles are your options? The Passat was a handy choice as a TDI as it has a lot of room and is a real good put together car.

Personally I would need something or I would definitely look for something that is similar to the Passat in size and quality with great fuel economy. I'm also a stickler for manual transmissions.

My daily commute is slightly over 70 miles each way in New Jersey.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
2014-2016 low mileage CPO A6 Prestige w/Sport package, cold weather and warm weather would be my perfect replacement.....
This is what I was planning on trading for just before this whole debacle started...just about the same size car, but with all wheel drive.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I want to get back into an SUV, I miss my Tiguan. However, the current model is too expensive and missing options I'd like. I've driven a new Subaru with their advanced cruise control and really like it. So a Outback or Forester would be an option. I also like the Ford Edge, or perhaps the C-Max.

Now, depending on when VW gets the new Tiguan or CrossBlue into production, they could be an option as well. I like the Audi Q5, but just don't want to spend that much. Retirement is getting close. :)

mazdahead

TDI
None yet
I've been waiting for this thread. The 2014 tdi is for the wife and three kids under 10. My grandfather and father in law always had VW diesels of some sort and I had a VW GTI so it was a natural pick for me with its size, economy and power. 2 years later the kids aren't getting any smaller and I don't know I want to go with another VW or car. Probably looking at a van, like a Honda Odyssey before the 2017 redo.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Passat 1.8 TSI SEL. Nice engine, get an apr I ECU tune, making it 240 horsepower, 280 lbp in torque. good FE, 25-38mpg, not that far off from the tdi.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I just heard about the buyback program today and was considering what to do. I have a 2013 with a manual trans and about 88,000 on the clock. The only money I've put into the car was for brand new tires about two months ago. The turbo went but that was warranty about two years ago.

If you guys are considering doing buyback what vehicles are your options? The Passat was a handy choice as a TDI as it has a lot of room and is a real good put together car.

Personally I would need something or I would definitely look for something that is similar to the Passat in size and quality with great fuel economy. I'm also a stickler for manual transmissions.

My daily commute is slightly over 70 miles each way in New Jersey.
...I guess posters 2, 3, and 4 missed that part...

I'm with MBQ at the moment. Just drove a 2016 Passat TSI auto today, liked it very much.
Also saw a 2016 Jetta Hybrid SEL (the only level available). At $31k, it's loaded, very solid feel, fit and finish. Of course, smaller than NMS Passat, and trunk is compromised with the battery. Unsure of reliability, finding a good tech, etc. etc.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Already bought it's replacement. 2015 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I Wanted a mustang and to get back into a V8 but Mustang isn't practical everyday vehicle for the mountains and snow. So quick SUV ended up on the short list. Have had it almost 3 months and I love it. It's easily my most favorite vehicle I have owned. Only drawback is 15MPG, and the price. :cool:

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Used Nissan 370Z in red, yellow or black with under 50k miles. Hate to give up my car but it's my only opportunity to get away from the problems and get a decent price (even though it's a low ball offer) after the value plummeted from the scandal. Not sure what I'll do

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
If VW makes us an offer we can't refuse, a Passat TSI. If not, probably an Outback.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I have retired and no longer have a need for a high mpg commuter car, I bought myself a BMW X5 3.5i as my retirement gift to me. I have 85K miles on my '12 Passat, exhaust valve shot, NOx sensor shot, heater not working, water pump leaking... I love my 02 Golf TDI, it's still going strong with 288K miles, but the Passat is my last VW, I can't wait to give it back.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
My wife wants an A6 Prestige S-Line TDI. If we can't find it in a TDI after the buyback we'll get a 3.0T and put a stage 2 tune on it.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
My wife wants an A6 Prestige S-Line TDI. If we can't find it in a TDI after the buyback we'll get a 3.0T and put a stage 2 tune on it.

North Bay Imports in CT, has had that very car in Daytona Gray on their lot for a few months..you can probably score a great price on it. I've seen it, and cosmetically it's in very nice condition. I did not drive the car....

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
North Bay Imports in CT, has had that very car in Daytona Gray on their lot for a few months..you can probably score a great price on it. I've seen it, and cosmetically it's in very nice condition. I did not drive the car....
I saw it on Autotrader I think. I found one in TN too. I want to wait and see what's going to happen before buying anything. I won't believe it until the money is in the bank.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Looking at the same car I wanted before I bought the Passat. Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. The local Lincoln dealer pizzed me off so much I went down the street and drove away with the Passat (it was my 2nd choice anyway). With the buyback I'm getting I can get a very nice 2015 Lincoln without much out-of-pocket.

BTW, that Lincoln dealer had his dealership taken away by FOMOCO after I wrote them about my dealings with them. I now feel avenged.

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
Seems most people replying here are not looking to purchase a car with similar fuel economy?
I am looking at fuel economy, but I have no ability to drive a manual transmission, so that is off my list. The one thing that does keep pulling me back to keeping the Passat is the DSG transmission.

I am leaning strongly towards the buyback, but I still need to hear about the fix. I have been fixing up my 2003 GMC Sierra, so I can go without another vehicle for a while if I need to. Pouring gas into that is what pointed me toward VW diesels.

A used BMW 328d intrigues me, but the used ones will probably get snatched up with the settlements. My daily commute is not that far, so electric vehicles are also worth considering for me. A Chevy Bolt intrigues me. It may have decent range in cold weather. I keep looking at used BMW i3s, but I find them a bit ugly and their electric range is not great. They do have the benefit of a motor to extend their range. A Subaru Outback may also make the cut, but I would like better fuel efficiency.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DaveTC: FYI: According to the chart, I should be getting back $26.5k for my 2014 SEL. should be able to swap straight-up for a decently equipped 2016. I just drove a 2016 1.8TSI, was pleased with the drive.
Several at the dealership told me of customers that are exceeding 38mpg (H) with the 1.8. Yeah, I know, they're trying to sell the car, but they also know I'm a no BS guy and will bust them for exaggerating...

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Wow according to the web documents I'm good for 21,500 - 24,200. I believe I paid 24,000 for the car back in 2013. It's almost like the value is too good to be true.

That's why I ask about what you guys are looking to move to? We all selected the Passat because it's a midsize family sedan that offered great fuel economy. I personally am a big fan of the car. If I could change anything about it other than the scandal it would be how it would work better with my iPhone. Case in point I recently rented a Dodge Charger and it had a great stereo as well as good iPhone integration.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^but...it was Dodge Charger...'nuff said.

Bottom line: There's really NOTHING in the marketplace that comes close to the NMS Passat TDI for MPG, size, fit and finish. Yes, it has its limitations, but there's just nothing out there that can return 46-48+ MPG, real world.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I would really like to get a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door wrangler).

I know it goes against EVERYTHING that is TDI, But I've driven sedans all my life and I want something that is capable of going further offroad than a dirt road.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
...I guess posters 2, 3, and 4 missed that part...
I didn't miss that part. For me, I want to get back into an SUV. I drove a C-Max today, which is a hybrid. It is one that I will consider once the Passat is gone. I also drove a Lexus NX Hybrid, but don't know if I want to spend that much.

Yes, I'm still keeping an eye on mileage, but by moving back into an SUV/CUV, I know I can't get TDI level MPG.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
^^^but...it was Dodge Charger...'nuff said.

Bottom line: There's really NOTHING in the marketplace that comes close to the NMS Passat TDI for MPG, size, fit and finish. Yes, it has its limitations, but there's just nothing out there that can return 46-48+ MPG, real world.

It was a charger. I never said it was good or bad as a charger or a dodge or whatever.

Overall the car was nice. It had 1200 miles on it. I liked the stereo and iPhone integration. The car itself was slow but it was also a heavy car. From the jersey shore to Pittsburgh and back I averaged 30 mpg

weightloss400

TDI
2013 Passat sel
Here are my options , they all have to be a diesel though .

Older Mercedes with the om606 or 2.5 diesel .
Mercedes e320 CDI
Mercedes e320 Bluetec without def tank
2006-2009 Jetta TDI manual , preferably the 2.0 .
335d ������
328d m sport package if possible

Last edited:

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Leaning toward the modification but am also considering:

GMC Canyon Diesel
Honda Accord Touring
Mazda 6 Grand Touring
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Nissan Maxima

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
I'm thinking Mazda6 GT with tech pkg. It is rated 40mpg like the DSG Passat TDI. I know I know it will suck off the line for acceleration.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Gotta admit - this fiasco has left me kind of jaded. Don't think I am buying new ever again. In fact, I'm doing a 180 and taking the "el cheapo" route - looking for something used around $5k - hahahahaha. Probably a MINI of some sort.

Last edited:

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT

I'm gonna drive the NMS until my Tesla Model 3 materializes. That's about the closest I could come up with in terms of replacement.

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
DaveTC: FYI: According to the chart, I should be getting back $26.5k for my 2014 SEL. should be able to swap straight-up for a decently equipped 2016. I just drove a 2016 1.8TSI, was pleased with the drive.
Several at the dealership told me of customers that are exceeding 38mpg (H) with the 1.8. Yeah, I know, they're trying to sell the car, but they also know I'm a no BS guy and will bust them for exaggerating...
I should include a VW in the list. I do enjoy the ride. If I do stick with a Volkswagen Passat, I would move up to an SEL. When I bought mine, I bought the first car that I drove. That day, I was going to also consider a Chevy Cruze diesel and a Chevy Volt. I never made it to Chevy.