ZeroStart coolant heater question

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
this weekend coming up. I will be in Mississauga on Sunday (10 Dec) if you wanna hook up then just let me know. We can meet at a Timmies

Steve

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
casta_baga said:
... i just bought a book from USA, I pay for the book 24 dollars and 19 dollars for the border taxes,
I would guess that your shipment came with either UPS, Fedex or similar. They add a hefty brokerage charge on items from the US. I will not buy anything from the US unless they use USPS/Canada Post. That only adds a small amount for taxes and Cdn$ 5.00 for the delivery by Canada Post.

Something for any of you to remember for US purchases. Before you buy ask what they use, if not USPS arrange to have it shipped via USPS!

OSTDi

TDI
2003 Jetta TDi blue
Canadian Tire

Today I went to C. Tire to get a 1500w zerostart heater, but the counterman could only find a listing for the 8000 series. As I understand from reading things here you can make the 8000series work after removing the check valve. Has anyone have experience doing this? Canadian Tire has them on sale this week so I would like to figure out if this really is the way to go.

Robert

-=PYRO=-

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JET TDI
I 2 checked CT today and they only have 8000's. When they put in part no. for 5000's the computer auto. goes back to the 8000 part no. I guess no biggy? Just screwdriver the check valve out. I'm assuming the check valve is obvious....I'd hate to rip out the element!!:D

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
there is GST on all books from the US. usually anything under $20.oo is not charged taxes. Alcohol, tobacco and books are the exceptions to this rule. Its in place to protect the canadian book publishers. The $19.00 must have been UPS of fed ex brokerage fees. What a scam!!!

-=PYRO=-

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JET TDI
VDubbing said:
there is GST on all books from the US. usually anything under $20.oo is not charged taxes. Alcohol, tobacco and books are the exceptions to this rule. Its in place to protect the canadian book publishers. The $19.00 must have been UPS of fed ex brokerage fees. What a scam!!!
***???
The 1000w sells for $65 at ct here in NS

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
anyone care to give me a hand this weekend with my zero start? Does the bracket require much manipulation?? My place or yours im easy.
Thanks
Rob

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Rob,
The install is pretty straightforward; don't worry about taking it on yourself. Follow snowman's instructions, and you'll do fine. For the bracket, you'll figure it out. Just make sure that the unit isn't touching anything once it's all bolted up. Make sure you orient the hose clamps such that you can easily reach them with the screwdriver the following day to snug them up.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/gwillie/zerostart install.htm

Make sure you have some G12 coolant to top up - don't mix with other coolant! You won't lose much, a 1/2 litre at most (unless you're really clumsy ;) ) but you should make sure it's at the proper level.

OSTDi

TDI
2003 Jetta TDi blue
Fitzski,
The install is no problem, its removing this checkvalve. Does it come out easily? Do you "break" it to remove it? I just like to be able to re-install the check valve if I had to return it for warrenty.

Robert

dubdrew

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
i went to CT on monday, i got the last one at Richmont hill, the rest were 8000 series. it was a 1500 w just like i wanted and yes they were on sale, but after buying that and then an extension cord and then the noma timer w/ remote and then the install, this thing is not so cheap after all..
it all better be worth it :p

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
the model shown on sale on the Canadian Tire web-site for $47.99 is 30-3294-0. It does not say which model this is. Any guesses?

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
TDIFred said:
the model shown on sale on the Canadian Tire web-site for $47.99 is 30-3294-0. It does not say which model this is. Any guesses?
Ya, i think thats the 8000 series 750W one. Thats actually the one i have. Its not a difficult install at all, you just need to bend the bracket a little bit, and a short (10" or so) 5/8" coolant hose.

I'm working on Sat, but if anyone wants some help on Sunday thats cool. I was looking for something to do anyways! I'm definetily NOT an expert like Wingnut or anything, but I've done it before and my hands both work;) (as long as its not too cold outside).

Steve

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought the 1500 watt unit tonight. On sale 54.99 at my Canadian Tire. The guy was a lot of help though I think he was starting to lose patience! Last one at my local CT, had LOTS of dust on the box!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
TDIFred said:
I bought the 1500 watt unit tonight. On sale 54.99 at my Canadian Tire. The guy was a lot of help though I think he was starting to lose patience! Last one at my local CT, had LOTS of dust on the box!
Yep, I went to 3 Canadian Tires last night and cleaned them all out of stock while they were still on sale. All of them were VERY dusty too. I'm sure not a big seller since they never put them out on display. If it weren't for this site, I'm sure they wouldn't sell very many at all.

Anyway, I learned a few things. Like PYRO stated above, the 5000 & 8000 manufacturer part numbers both crossreference to the same Can Tire part number. So you have to actually have the guy go back to the shelf & bring them to the front to choose which one you want. Some will have the 8000 and some will have the 5000. There is no probem going with the 8000 though, the check valve is very easy to remove. I will snap some pics later this weekend.

If anyone wants one, I bought 7 of them. I am putting a 1000W in my car, so here is what I will have left:

2 x 1000W 8000 series
2 x 1000W 5000 series
2 x 1500W 5000 series

I am going to add these to my list of services offered in my TDI maintenance thread.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Well, that was quick. All 6 of them are now spoken for (yes Rob, one of them is for you). They may go back on sale again in the new year though. For anyone who wants to save a trip to their local C Tire, you can call ahead and ask if they have one using the following part numbers:

30-3294-X is the 750W model
30-3295-X is the 1000W model
30-3296-X is the 1500W model

Note: The X is there because I don't remember the last digit, but they don't need it to do a parts lookup, just the first 6 numbers. And as already stated, those part numbers could be either the 5000 or the 8000 series heaters as C Tire has the same part number for both. It just depends on what they have on the shelf. One C tire I went to had 2 x 8000 series ones and the other had 2 x 5000 series ones....same part number.

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Silver
1500 please

I will take a 1500 please. Thanks!

Ops...Just saw the post. All spoken for... If anything falls through, Let me know!

Last edited:

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You guys really are the best! I helped (yeah right, sure!) Steve (Kingkos) put a 1500 watt in today and he pointed out a few other things to do at the GTG. The coolant is on sale at CT until the 12th.

golfnman

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Do 2000 TDI Jettas have block heaters?

TDIFred said:
You guys really are the best! I helped (yeah right, sure!) Steve (Kingkos) put a 1500 watt in today and he pointed out a few other things to do at the GTG. The coolant is on sale at CT until the 12th.
I just got a 2000 TDI Jetta, no owners manual. Do these Jettas have block heaters if they came with heated sets as in a cold weather package, so to speak?

I'm new to the VW's, all of them, so I'm asking some dumb question, I guess.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
golfnman said:
Do these Jettas have block heaters if they came with heated sets as in a cold weather package
Nope. CWP consists of heated seats, ESP (electronic stability control) & heated washer nozzles. The heated seats are especially wonderful in cold weather - TDI engines are so efficient they don't make much excess heat and it may take several miles to get usable heat.

scurvy

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yours might have one if the previous owner added it. Check for a 3 prong plug exiting the front of the car near either of the bumper vent covers. If not, check your local auto parts store and see if they have any Zerostart coolant heaters. Then again, how cold does it usually get in your part of the country?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Here is a picture of the 2 units side by side:

They are both under the same part number at Can Tire, so its a coin toss as to which one you will get at any given store. But they both work just as well. Here is the check valve that has to be removed from the 8000 series unit:

Just grab a flat head screwdriver and pry it out. Its only a small plastic ball held in with a plastic bushing. It is basically there to prevent the flow of coolant in one direction, somthing not needed in the TDI.

The only disadvantage I see to the 8000 series is that the cord is shorter, so finding a good spot to run it through to the front of the car might be trickey. I will let you know how things go when I install one this week.