www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 16th, 2018, 09:53   #6811
Yblocker
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1997 Passat

I think my Car Part.com inquiry for a used intercooler has attrcated the attention of a seller. I don't know how, but he sent me a PM on the forum.

He wanted $550 and when I said no thanks, he dropped to $360 shipped which still seems pretty high.

What do you guys think?
Old January 16th, 2018, 12:51   #6812
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yblocker View Post
I think my Car Part.com inquiry for a used intercooler has attrcated the attention of a seller. I don't know how, but he sent me a PM on the forum.
He wanted $550 and when I said no thanks, he dropped to $360 shipped which still seems pretty high.
What do you guys think?
What is the issue with the existing IC?

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 13:05   #6813
Yblocker
Veteran Member

It holds boost, but it's leaking oil from someplace above the lower hose connection- likely at a seam. It's not a profuse leak; it leaves a drop on the ground every other day if the car is driven consistently.

So I've been looking from time to time for a replacement. ToddA1 re-sealed his, but it sounded like it was difficult to re-crimp the tanks back on.

But $360 is more than I'm willing to pay.
Old January 16th, 2018, 16:42   #6814
TDIL3dad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisab4 View Post
Hi Todd,
Thanks for the link. The listing says you should get a link to a PDF with images and installation guide with your order. Maybe on a piece of paper, or in an e-mail?
Hi Todd;
Please do post on how this fits and works out.

I wonder if these are retrofitted used OEM controls, or newly manufactured controls. If newly manufactured, are they Far East cheap aftermarket parts, or better quality?

Will definitely consider as the Climate controls on both of my B4s are near death or completely dead.
TDIL3dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 18:39   #6815
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yblocker View Post
ToddA1 re-sealed his, but it sounded like it was difficult to re-crimp the tanks back on.

You never heard me say that. Worst part was being sure everything was clean for the Ultra Gray. A flat drift and a mallet was used to recrimp/fold over the tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIL3dad View Post
Please do post on how this fits and works out.

I havenít looked for the paperwork to see if there was a link.

LL showed what was involved. Iíve seen others do the same and I donít really want to be bothered.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 20:31   #6816
Yblocker
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
You never heard me say that. Worst part was being sure everything was clean for the Ultra Gray. A flat drift and a mallet was used to recrimp/fold over the tabs. -Todd
Sorry Todd- guess I heard it from someone else. I may yet do this for no other reason that there is no guarantee that a different used one will be any better.