www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 13th, 2018, 19:50   #856
jeffcapp99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfTDISA View Post
the VW dealers do not want to resale to the public, so they will end up being crushed or dismantled and they would save VW millions .If they don't have to buy them , they do not have to store them , resale, dismantle etc etc ...
Golftdisa - I do not buy the story. That would be a major change to the document that does not fit the characteristics of why a judge would change it. (ambiguity, etc). That would be splitting the baby which courts rarely do.
The court may side with VW or salvage owners but I do not think they will do that. Further, this change would benefit VW, BUT SCREW anyone that got a fix instead of a buyback (resulting in more court action). Think of it, if thousands of rebuilt cars get on the market the resale value would go in the dump. VW Dealers would love for all these salvage cars to be bought back (and crushed) and not sell any fixed TDIs.

It is my understanding that very few VW's that were repurchased where actually resold. I think only the generation 3 engine which was only in 2015 was going to be fixed and resold and the demand was tepid. If I am correct (I may not be) VW will be crushing a lot of cars. VW dealers do not want to sell low mileage cars and hurt their new car sales.

I believe the problem with the court document centers around a former owner restitution (on totaled vehicles) and the timing of when they can claim it.

That said, I am always curious about these stories.

On a side note, I have received several Takata Airbag notices on rebuilt cars. I called VW (corporate - not settlement folks) and they said salvage titles are eligible for new airbags. MORE expenses for them as I think Takata is out of business.
jeffcapp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:05   #857
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Takata is out (bankruptcy IIRC) but someone else stepped up and took over IIRC.

VW was only required to get to the 85% point on the recall buybacks IIRC. Maybe they are approaching this and want to just leave the salvage cars in the remaining 15% and only eligible for the fix and not the buy back. That would fall under the current rules it seems and lend "some" credence to the above "story". That would account for about 80k cars if 475K was the original number.

"The government requires that 85 percent of the nearly 475,000 affected TDIs to be fixed or removed from the road by June 30, 2019."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ssions-recall-
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:21   #858
GolfTDISA

I would agree with LIGHTFLYER1 we might be on the scale if need be , they will take some as buy back the rest just fix.
On the the other hand , JEFFCAPP99 has a valid point that VW dealers do not want Rebuilt title car on the market at all, I guess we will see everything in March.
GolfTDISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:50   #859
jeffcapp99

A few additional thoughts. The 85% target is 85% of a static 487,532 (that number has not changed). Or 414,402. They have fixed or repurchased 378,142 or 77%. Every total car hurts their changes although they have a figure of 1,842 that says UIO scrapped. No idea what UIO means. Any ideas? VW has to pay $85M for every 1% they do not get over to 85%. That said, For every car they do not fix they get to keep the money (this there are huge dollars at stake even for a huge company). So VW wants to get to 84.51% and not 1 car more. My guess is VW wants to count any salvaged car as 'fixed' or removed from service. I would argue that if a car is rebuilt and returned to service they cannot do that, but we will see.

This is from Appendix A of the agreement -

7.6 Total Available Recall Program Funds: Settling Defendants’ total funding pool
available to satisfy the requirements of the Buyback, Lease Termination, and Vehicle Modification Recall Program, as well as any consumer payments made in connection with the FTC Order or the Class Action Settlement, shall be $10,033,000,000, based on an assumed 100% consumer participation rate, and an assumed 100% Buyback of purchased Eligible Vehicles, and an assumed 100% Lease Termination of leased Eligible Vehicles. Any unspent funds will revert to Settling Defendants upon the
completion of the Class Action Settlement program.
Old January 14th, 2018, 18:56   #860
Curmudgeon

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta
Default Hope on Salvage Titles

I just received a check this friday for my 2014 TDI bug with a salvage title.

Here are the facts:
I purchased this from IAAI before the lawsuits was settled car had 32,000 miles on it.
Did not purchase it to flip but to fix and drive.
I also purchase another one that I used for parts but will fix it and it is registered in the buy back program but still setting in my shop.
My first apointment was June of 2017. They had the check but but once I gave the agent the salvage titled they turned me away with little detail.
I made 3 or 4 appointments after that they would cancel hours before appointment.

I made an apointment about three weeks ago thinking they would cancel. In fact I didn't start the car in weeks and it had summer diesel in it and it was like 7 degrees outside. I was expecting them to cancel. They did not cancel and I had to call the dealer do see if I could bring it in later that day. Had to put some anti gel and some blended diesel in it to get it running properly.

I have been reading this forum but have not contributed. Thought I should install some hope among the doom Sayers.

Signed

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 19:01   #861
jeffcapp99

Thank you for sharing Curmudgeon. I am caught in a situation where I have not received an offer. Can you tell us when you got your offer letter ? My guess is it was April 2017 or earlier. Maybe some of the salvage titles will start going through. I can be optimistic.
Old January 15th, 2018, 17:55   #862
GolfTDISA

Until they resolve this in court I highly doubt that they will start taking cars on massive scale. One or two here and these it seems like it. I guess we will all find out at the same time from the Council.
Old January 15th, 2018, 18:26   #863
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

It is entirely possible that they are examining cases one at a time and dealing with cases that are clear-cut legitimate (e.g. car has had one owner through the whole time from Sept 2015 until now, no other claims filed against that VIN, clear documentation, etc). If you're in that situation and that's what's happening behind the scenes, it may simply mean that they haven't gotten to your case yet. If there is anything that is in the slightest bit questionable, you wait.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 11:15   #864
GolfTDISA

All of mine cars with Rebuilt titles that I will keep were approved for Fix , but others that I wanted to do buyback nothing .
Old January 16th, 2018, 18:26   #865
johtdi

TDI(s): Jetta
Default Reports progress

I think its great to share success and help one another, we all need to continue to email all we can. Speculation will not get us anywhere, hoping collectively we can have a voice. If anyone wants me to add more information in this post or suggestions please pm me.
johtdi is offline   Reply With Quote