Help car won't run

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
My 06 Jetta 1.9L TDI 5 speed has an error code 01027 Exhaust Gas Re circulation Circuit error. It just started this morning. It won't pull itself in gear it just stalls. I need to get it running again. I can't seem to find any info on this code. Thanks

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
You should start with a VCDS check. On other boards, fixes have been severed wires between the EGR valve and ECU, and replacement of the EGR valve (not including EGR cooler). Check wiring first, I guess. Has the EGR system been redone since new? I replaced the cooler and valve last winter - chose to fix it rather than delete which would have thrown a check engine light which causes a DriveClean fail. Not cheap fix - but my cooler was hissing, and I figure I'm good now for the life of the car (just redid timing belt for the second time w new cam this time). Still a lot cheaper than replacing the car!

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
I put a head on it a year ago next month. Cleaned the carbon out and put in a new water pump & timing belt. I'll drag my laptop out & plug in my vcom> I got lazy & just used my good meter that reads the volks but not as thorough as the vcom> It's warmed up today so shouldn't be too bad. :)

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
Checked with the vcds 001027 EGR Valve malfunction P0403
the car won't rev over 2k. Stalls when trying to move it

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Remove the valve and see if it’s open at all. If it is, force it shut with your thumb. Reinstall the valve and leave it unplugged. See how it runs after that. I’ve seen this several times now including in a BRM that I just bought.

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
I took off the boost hose felt the flap & moved it no problem. I was going to take the egr off but I used my heat gun & blew hot air in it for about 5 minutes. Put it back together drove it back & forth a long farm drive way. Eventually it started to run. Took it around a country block & it seems to be back to normal. Hmmm. If it's good in the morning I'll be happy. Thanks for your help.

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
Car runs fine today but is throwing the egr code again si it's time to take it off.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Let us know what you find. It will be interesting to see if it’s stuck open.

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
It was closed. Funny thing when I did the head exchange I cleaned all the carbon out but never touched the egr. I cleaned it out used a 9 volt battery to keep it going in & out until it was not sticking any more. Car is running well so time will tell if it lasts a while longer. No codes after a 2 hours of driving.