A4 Jetta not included in Water Ingress Class Settlement

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver B5.5 GLS TDi Passat wagon w/ Tiptronic
I received a notice for our '05 Passat today about this settlement. Checking the class list included with the notice, I found our '05 A4 Jetta was not on the class list. HOWEVER, our Jetta was the car we had the water ingress in, just last year! It cost us $998.38 to have the carpet and carpet pad replaced, and have all the mold mitigated - twice on the mold cleaning, though we didn't have to pay for the second round as it was their fault for not getting all the mold cleaned up on the fabric of the seats and the interior properly dried out the first time, before they returned the car to us.

I called the toll-free phone number: 1-877-740-6992, then went to this website: https://wateringresssettlement.com/ which are both listed in the booklet explaining the settlement, to see for sure if the Jetta would be included in the class. Unfortunately, the site doesn't work as I expected it to. All it does is refer one to the same settlement info I got in the mail about our Passat. I was expecting a yes or no answer. So tomorrow, I'll be contacting the Settlement Administrator by email at: info@wateringresssettlement.com to discuss our particular situation, and find out why our Jetta isn't included in the class list and see if there is a way to get it included.

I'll let post back here after I get a response.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Only in America

I noticed we got this in the mail today, too. :rolleyes:

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you still have a TDI?
If so, which one?

I really dislike the A4 Jetta TDI we own, but it's my daughter's car and I can't seem to convince her to give it up for something better. She's owned for 2 years now and is her first car, unless you count our '97 Subaru Outback wagon which I still drive for all the short trips around town and during the bad winter months (cheaper to fix if it get hit, cheaper in all other ways too, but nowhere near as nice a ride as our Passat). The Jetta is cramped for space in every way, jerky and seems slow until it warms up, especially when going from stop into 1st. But, she can run BD and/or WVO in it without making any mods, which really was the reason she wanted it. I'm partial to station wagons myself... love all the extra room for hauling stuff.

Ashmo501

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002 (RIP), Jetta GLS 2003
I had an A4 Jetta, and mine WAS included because I got the notice, etc. I also had water issues with that car and spent ~ $300 in repairs.

Hope you got it worked out!

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
I found out my Jetta is included in the settlement, but due to extenuating circumstances, I might not get anything. The shop that did the original work isn't cooperating with me to list the leaking as being due to the sunroof drains. They couldn't find the leaking (they're idiots) so they didn't do anything to fix it. As a result, it happened again, just a month later and reflooded the car causing mold to regrow. Got my insurance company involved after the second round of mold growth too. However, the initial diagnostic (which didn't result in fixing the cause of the flooding), the stripping out of the interior, replacement of the carpet and padding, and the mold remediation work all came to just under $1000, which is my deductible limit; so, it all came out of my pocket. The second round of mold remediation work came out of the shop's pocket.

After that, I drove up to Olympia, WA and switched cars with my daughter, giving her my old Subaru wagon. On the drive back to Boulder, it rained a good deal of the time, so by the time I got home, the carpets were again wet on the passenger side. I called my insurance company again and told them of the impending lawsuit over the water ingress problems. They talked with the VW dealer here, who took the vehicle in, clipped the drains and unplugged them, cleaned the entire vehicle interior again, and replaced the carpet and padding again. Haven't had any problems since, but I'm still out the original $997 plus all I spent for air sanitizers thinking it was originally an issue with a stinky a/c.

Oh, and now I've gotten notice from the water ingress lawsuit group that nothing will be paid out until all appeals have been filed and dealt with anyway. So, we're all on hold. In the meantime, I'm going to try and get a reconsideration for my car.

Last edited:

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Sounds like you have a bit of a frustrating mess there. Sorry for that.

I found out my Jetta is included in the settlement...
But since that was eventually found to be the case, I recommend see if you can edit the title of the post so it's accurate.