www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old October 7th, 2019, 12:07   #46
wxman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Other Diesel

Quote:
...One advantage sustainable liquid fuels could have over the electrification of transportation is that they could use the existing gasoline and diesel infrastructure, like engines, pipelines and gas stations....
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0916110602.htm
wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 13:45   #47
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Yes please about staying on topic.

I see EV growth rate more promising in places like Western Europe, Japan, China and very specific areas of North America like densely populated cities in the NE and West Coast.

In the next few years and beyond, a second EV vehicle for, mostly city driving, might be a convenient/economical option for some households in North America. I am thinking of something like a used Kia Soul EV for no more than $15,000. You can charge it at home without much additional expense. Not much more additional preventive maintenance. No need to charge it during the day at a 'EV Charging Station', just every night at home and you are done
That's why I kept the Volt for longer trips and bought a Spark EV for all the local running around and my commute.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2019, 15:26   #48
ericy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~49

I bought a Kona EV earlier this week - talk of EV charging perks up my ears .

Margins at gas stations for selling gas are paper thin these days - it doesn't seem like much of a risk to take out the pumps. The big stations with 20 pumps are the direction things are going (along with convenience store to go along with it).

For all we know the underground tanks had reached end-of-life, and they had to do something.

2014 Jetta Sportwagen [Bought back 12/14/2016].
ericy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2019, 18:51   #49
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Pumps disappearing in Norway, too.
https://electrek.co/2019/10/11/gas-p...#disqus_thread
Old October 12th, 2019, 21:27   #50
where2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericy View Post
I bought a Kona EV earlier this week - talk of EV charging perks up my ears .
For all we know the underground tanks had reached end-of-life, and they had to do something.
Having had my e-Golf for just over a month now, you're going to like not having to stop for fuel, Ericy.

The local Wally World closed their fuel station a few months back so they could R&R the tanks, lines, and everything else. I filled my MkIV, my wife's JSW TDI and put another 15 gal in cans at the $2.65 they were offering diesel for the day before they closed. I think they're trying to get the Wally World station back online before the local Costco opens their new station... Now that I have an EV, I haven't bought diesel for 7 weeks...
'04 Jetta_TDI_Wagon_GL 5spd (4 daily) Got Miles... 232k!
'90 Corrado_G60 Pkg_2 5spd (4 fun) Supercharged and half the fuel economy of a TDI!
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 10:14   #51
ericy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
Having had my e-Golf for just over a month now, you're going to like not having to stop for fuel, Ericy.
I like the low-end torque that is very much like what the TDI had. I missed that with the gasser that I had in the interim. The Kona takes off like a jackrabbit.

Back in the day, I would drive to oddball places to buy B100. Charging stations (to the extent that I use them instead of charging at home) are just another version of the same thing. It is really just a matter of knowing where they are in case I ever need them.

Old October 20th, 2019, 09:02   #52
El Dobro
Veteran Member

The latest is the station is open M-F from 8 to 5:30, but the charging is 24/7 and (for now) is free for DCFC. Besides ICE cars, they also repair EVs. One poster on a road trip from Michigan with his Bolt, stopped in to get a charge and say hi to them. He also picked up a snack from a bakery across the street.
Old October 26th, 2019, 12:20   #53
El Dobro
Veteran Member

More detail about the station from NPR.
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/26/77344...ahead-of-curve
Old October 26th, 2019, 15:55   #54
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Not encouraging financially. At 12 customers a day for 30 minutes each comes to a gross of $102. Of which he gets 66% or about $66. Out of that he has to pay for the electricity too. Currently he is only making maybe $20 to $40 a day maybe. Even at constant use he would only Gross $1600 of which he would get about $1k and still have to pay for the electricity. He also said he sells no food and canned the convenience store. Still he was given $780k to do this, so why look a gift horse in the mouth. I would never see anyone investing their own money to do this. You would never be able to recoup your investment. Makes great conversation though. Sounds like all his income comes from the service and repair end of things.
Old October 26th, 2019, 17:51   #55
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Great use for the VW settlement funds to install these chargers. Our governor just did a ribbon cutting on some dieselgate funded charging stations a mile from my mother's house. She's out in the sticks, but I-95 runs by fairly close.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 19:13   #56
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Thanks to dieselgate, Electrify America is slowly putting up charging stations in NJ. Since my Spark has a DCFC port, I can extend my range as necessary. Thanks VW.
Old October 28th, 2019, 17:19   #57
ericy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
Thanks to dieselgate, Electrify America is slowly putting up charging stations in NJ. Since my Spark has a DCFC port, I can extend my range as necessary. Thanks VW.

The EA pricing is messed up though. If your car draws less than 75kW, you pay $0.20/min. If you car (even theoretically) draws above 75kW, you pay $0.59/min. The Kona reports that it can take 78kW (nobody has ever seen it draw this much however), so we always get socked with the higher rate. So I avoid EA until someone (Hyundai or EA) comes up with a resolution.

Fortunately there are other options, including charging at home.

Old October 28th, 2019, 17:20   #58
ericy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Not encouraging financially. At 12 customers a day for 30 minutes each comes to a gross of $102. Of which he gets 66% or about $66. Out of that he has to pay for the electricity too. Currently he is only making maybe $20 to $40 a day maybe..

Selling gasoline has very thin margins as well. For this guy, the bread and butter is repairs.

Old October 28th, 2019, 19:47   #59
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Selling gasoline has very thin margins as well. For this guy, the bread and butter is repairs.
and you trimmed off the end of my post which said exactly that. If you are going to quote me, at least keep the relevant part in. I would guess he made more than the electric by selling gas. The margins may be slim as well but the number of customers he could service in a day would be considerably more. Seems to me the $780k grant had more to do with this. Maybe some virtue signaling as well. It sure wasn't a profit making decision. Like I said before no one would invest their own money in this kind of venture. You would never pay back your investment or make any profit. Maybe it will draw more business to his shop and he is wanting to go exclusively in the electric car repair business. About the only reason I can think of to do this other than the free money.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; October 28th, 2019 at 20:01.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 20:37   #60
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Quote:
The EA pricing is messed up though. If your car draws less than 75kW, you pay $0.20/min. If you car (even theoretically) draws above 75kW, you pay $0.59/min. The Kona reports that it can take 78kW (nobody has ever seen it draw this much however), so we always get socked with the higher rate. So I avoid EA until someone (Hyundai or EA) comes up with a resolution.
Fortunately there are other options, including charging at home.
My Spark draws 50kW max, works for me.