Idparts front wheel hubs

DieselDork

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW
I've done my research before posting. None of the wheel hub/bearing replacement/comment threads mention where hubs were purchased. My mechanic recommends original vw. But they cost around $190 per side. Idparts has what they claim are "OE VW" for $49 each. They say they purchase in bulk and the packaging is done by "Hudson". The real question is, are the front hubs from idparts good enough to use? I've never had a problem with idparts I'm just discerning and want my maintenance jobs to last. Thanks in advance for the info.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I've done my research before posting. None of the wheel hub/bearing replacement/comment threads mention where hubs were purchased. My mechanic recommends original vw. But they cost around $190 per side. Idparts has what they claim are "OE VW" for $49 each. They say they purchase in bulk and the packaging is done by "Hudson". The real question is, are the front hubs from idparts good enough to use? I've never had a problem with idparts I'm just discerning and want my maintenance jobs to last. Thanks in advance for the info.
I believe you posted this ^^^ in bold...

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I would recommend upgrading to the unit by FAG.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I've gotten lots from IDparts, never been disappointed. I wouldn't be afraid of the hub for $49. I can't imagine that they are any different from the VW parts, probably made in the same place. $190 is seriously outrageous.

I agree with cevans, spend the $ saved on good bearings.

DieselDork

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW
I did. I just had some doubts from a source of mine. So I wanted to clear any of that up. Which has happened. Hubs are on the way, smooth driving to follow.

DieselDork

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW
I do also have the FAG bearing replacement kit on standby. Both wheels have play in them when the car is off the ground and the bolts are all tight. I may take the opportunity to upgrade to GTI front brakes.

cevans

TDI
GTI front brakes are a BIG project. I did it on my '03 wagon, lots of work, not much additional braking power. Brake size is more a function of heat dissipation than braking power - pad friction determines that. If you want to upgrade your brakes get some good pads (Akebono makes the best) and keep your OE setup.

DieselDork

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW
And this is why Tdiclub is my favorite forum. Thanks for the advice and help. I'll take heed to that "keep the OE brakes" suggestion.

cevans

TDI
I haven't experienced that trend in the automotive setting. We've sold thousands of FAG units and they've been flawless, really. We have also sold SKF, also flawless. Remember that SKF is its own company but FAG is the wheel-bearing brand line of OE global supplier INA.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I haven't experienced that trend in the automotive setting. We've sold thousands of FAG units and they've been flawless, really. We have also sold SKF, also flawless. Remember that SKF is its own unit but FAG is the wheel-bearing brand line of OE global supplier INA.
As I said in an industrial setting (powder metal and aluminum die casting) we always saw better long term life with SKF over FAG. I can't speak for automotive wheel bearings as I have no experience with either manufacturer. "Remember that SKF is its own unit" I think that sez somethin' too!

Last edited:

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
I hope you'll have better luck than I did, bought my 2012 Passat with whine front left, I went on the cheap and replaced (myself) the wheel hub with a Chinese made, the whine changed tunes and before long it became as loud as the original hub.

I replaced the hub a second time, with a made in Great Britain, and the car sounded so quiet. of course the British part was 2x the price and in my case it cost me 3x and did the work 2x.

I believe all parts entering the USA must have a COO (country of origin) code,
both of mine were engraved...China and GB. (cost C$70/C$163.)

Most likely the $49 is chinese made, that is not to say all chinese made parts are bad, while on the flip side I am not the only one who experienced bad chinese made parts straight out of the box, I did not feel like taking a chance a second time.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Most likely the $49 is chinese made, that is not to say all chinese made parts are bad, while on the flip side I am not the only one who experienced bad chinese made parts straight out of the box, I did not feel like taking a chance a second time.
If I remember correctly (I am retired.) The Fag and SKF didn't give a COO just marked with a part # and SKF or FAG and sometimes we bought INA marked. The cheap ones the bearing supplier tried to sell us were just marked with the part # and China on them and they were crap. If they didn't manufacture them themselves where SKF and FAG and INA sourced them from is beyond me.

Last edited:

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
If I remember correctly (I am retired.) The Fag and SKF didn't give a COO just marked with a part # and SKF or FAG and sometimes we bought INA marked. The cheap ones the bearing supplier tried to sell us were just marked with the part # and China on them and they were crap. If they didn't manufacture them themselves where SKF and FAG and INA sourced them from is beyond me.
GB was etched on the edge of the hub, not on the flat surface, easy to miss.

edit:SNR was the brand of the British made.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
GB was etched on the edge of the hub, not on the flat surface, easy to miss.

edit:SNR was the brand of the British made.
Maybe FAG and SKF were too I just don't recall and I can't go back where I worked and look at one. The part # and manufacturer were marked on the flat side. The cheap China ones were clearly marked China. They all had the same part #.

Last edited: