Actual Purchases of 2015 Stop-Sale (NEW TDI's)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
In NH you have the same thing by a different name that you pay with the car's registration.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
now that I am about to pay off our GSW in the next week or two, I wish I had gotten the Lease deal as well.. could have used that extra 2k+ in savings.. oh well. I still love the car.

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
now that I am about to pay off our GSW in the next week or two, I wish I had gotten the Lease deal as well.. could have used that extra 2k+ in savings.. oh well. I still love the car.
Didn't you get the 0% finance? If so, invest the money and get a return on it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Even with this bull market, I'm not betting on making more than 2% return. What goes up must come down.

We had the 20K from our '12 buy back, so the lease made more sense to us.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Some of us are averse to debt. I enjoy not having payments on anything. I know it's not necessarily the smartest financial move, but sometimes peace of mind wins out.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Peter nailed it. we are pulling some money out of our 401k savings to pay off two cars and a credit card. leaving us only with Mortgage debt on our Primary and one rental property.

The payments bi weekly add up to less than the minimum payments on the 3 debts, they come out automatically before the balance of paycheck is direct deposited, the payments get paid directly back into the 401k balance over the next 4 years which is way quicker to pay them all off than it would have been otherwise. (48 mo vs 72 mo on the GSW, CC paying minimums wil practically never pay it off, and the other car had at least 2 years left on it.)

it makes more sense to remove these 3 burdens from our monthly budget in this way than to try to play the market and STILL have to make the payments.

I know more than most people wanted to know, but Peter nailed it. no debts is way better.

also we will have clear titles to 2 vehicles that could be sold easily if the SHTF and we need liquid cash quickly.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Careful with 401K loans, if the market has plateaued and isn't moving much you don't lose much, but if it's on the way up like it has since the election you're actually getting double screwed as you're buying back what you had owned at a higher price plus paying the interest.

Also read the fine print on the 401K loan to yourself, current rate for mine has climbed to 5.5%, that's a heck of a lot more than 0% some auto manufactures are offering, still lower than any CC that's around.

The wife is in the same boat, mortgage only, she's will be making a couple more payments on the '15. I received my title for our '17 Alltrack this week.

To each his own.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Having no debt "is not not necessarily the smartest financial move". I disagree. I am 63 years old and have had our share of debt and also investments. And now that we have debt free except for the mortgage for the past 10 tears. Being almost debt free was the smartest thing we have ever made. We have paid down the house by a huge amount, have more spending money, and don't argue about money anymore like in the past when things were so tight due to the debt payments. Sure we won't have the mortgage interest to claim soon, but you pay much more in the interest than you get back in taxes. So we will be better off to pay the extra in taxes than in the interest.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Also read the fine print on the 401K loan to yourself, current rate for mine has climbed to 5.5%, that's a heck of a lot more than 0% some auto manufactures are offering, still lower than any CC that's around.
Keep in mind that you get the interest, not the 401(k) provider. At least that's the case for many plan providers. So if the rate is higher you're just paying yourself more interest. This is the plan's way of providing you with some capital appreciation of the loan funds as they are paid back.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
yeah the interest on the loan is all going back to me and adding back into my 401k balance every paycheck.

I am still adding enough to take advantage of the full company match on 401k funds, in addition to the repayment of the loan which is almost 3x that amount each month, so yes, I know what i am getting myself into. I am young enough to still have many years for compounding to help me out in retirement.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I just ran the numbers for some of the projects we want to do around the house. If I take $50,000 out of my 401K, I have to repay with a 4.25% interest rate. My 1 year earnings rate is currently 18.9%. A five year payback will cost me a potential of ~$64k in lost earnings. I think the 3% home equity loan is a better deal.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We're at the end of a long bull market. Your return on the $50K over the next five years could as easily be less than that 4.5% interest. Think 2006-2011. Or 1986 -1991. Or 1970-1975. Ten year return on the S&P 500 is 7.4%.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
I went into this with my eyes opened and am aware of the possibility of losing potential gains. and even if it does wind up costing me ~$48k in earnings in the next 4 years, when i am 65 in 25 years and i have ~$1,800,000 in the account versus ~$2,200,000 after compounding am I really going to notice the difference? in the mean time, I will enjoy my paid for car now.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I hope I am at a place in my life when I'm 65 that I don't bat an eye at misplacing $400,000 [/first world problem]

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We're at the end of a long bull market. Your return on the $50K over the next five years could as easily be less than that 4.5% interest. Think 2006-2011. Or 1986 -1991. Or 1970-1975. Ten year return on the S&P 500 is 7.4%.
That was just a line in the sand. It would be nice to think that my 401K will continue to grow at almost 20% but I took those rose colored glasses off a long time ago.

I went into this with my eyes opened and am aware of the possibility of losing potential gains. and even if it does wind up costing me ~$48k in earnings in the next 4 years, when i am 65 in 25 years and i have ~$1,800,000 in the account versus ~$2,200,000 after compounding am I really going to notice the difference? in the mean time, I will enjoy my paid for car now.
As we often say, we are all in different places in life. Within 10 (maybe 5) years, I will be retired and living off that 401K. At this point in my life, $60K makes a big difference.

Viz

TDI
2001 & 2002 MKIV, 2015 MKVII
Keep in mind that you get the interest, not the 401(k) provider. At least that's the case for many plan providers. So if the rate is higher you're just paying yourself more interest. This is the plan's way of providing you with some capital appreciation of the loan funds as they are paid back.
That's all true, however, unless IRS rules have changed, that interest money that you pay back to yourself in the 401(K), is going to be taxed at the same rate that the rest of the 401(K) funds are taxed at. Why is that a concern?
Because you already paid the tax on that interest money as part of your ordinary income tax. So the interest money will, in effect, be taxed twice.

robtechno

TDI
2015 Golf 2.0 TDI.Sport wagen 53K. Previously a Jetta 06 with 205K. A5-BRM,
TDI Buy Backs Availability

It bought my '15 buy back from Sheehy VW in Springfield VA. They have about 40 buybacks mostly JSW on the lot. Very nice and clean cars for good prices. Check them out.
I bought mine from Jorge Perez, sales man on the floor but a Super Nice Guy and not your regular car sales s.o.b.

Have fun.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
It bought my '15 buy back from Sheehy VW in Springfield VA. They have about 40 buybacks mostly JSW on the lot. Very nice and clean cars for good prices. Check them out.
I bought mine from Jorge Perez, sales man on the floor but a Super Nice Guy and not your regular car sales s.o.b.
Have fun.
Are they JSW or GSW?

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
curious that this thread should come alive... Our stop sale car lease is coming due... Other than the fact that I was terminated from my job today, the questions have not changed... What else would we drive other than our '15 6 speed SEL??

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
curious that this thread should come alive... Our stop sale car lease is coming due... Other than the fact that I was terminated from my job today, the questions have not changed... What else would we drive other than our '15 6 speed SEL??
a) Sorry to hear about the job
b) I'm in the same boat, lease about to end but I know 150% that there is NOTHING else I would drive. My stop sale car has been amazing and it wasn't my first TDI and I'll surely buy off the used market moving forward.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

zuluflyer

TDI
Jetta GLS TDI, 04, reflex silver
Just as the title states... if you actually purchase one of these (new 2015s) share your pricing. I hope to keep this going for a bit to track how many of these are actually moving.

I bought a super clean 2015 Jetta TDI SEL with 40,300 miles for $10,500, at the Salem, Oregon VW dealer. They had just reduced the price $1,000 to $10,900 that morning. Dealer added about 400 for title, license and registration and some kind of fee. Original Continental tires still had 30% tread left, but were simply not round so I had to get new tires. Also it had no evidence on carfax of the DSG or oil service being done since 20k so I had to have those 2 done but got it discounted to $279 at the dealer. I like the car but for the heater core tube rattle at firewall. Parking my '04 with 240,000 miles.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's a good deal. Dealer should have replaced the tires (and brakes) but still, you did well.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I bought a super clean 2015 Jetta TDI SEL with 40,300 miles for $10,500, at the Salem, Oregon VW dealer. They had just reduced the price $1,000 to $10,900 that morning. Dealer added about 400 for title, license and registration and some kind of fee. Original Continental tires still had 30% tread left, but were simply not round so I had to get new tires. Also it had no evidence on carfax of the DSG or oil service being done since 20k so I had to have those 2 done but got it discounted to $279 at the dealer. I like the car but for the heater core tube rattle at firewall. Parking my '04 with 240,000 miles.
Except this thread is about "new" 2015 stop sale car purchases not bought back cars being resold.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
I have a 2015 stop sale "new" tdi that I leased for 24 months and now the lease is ending. I am considering buying it out, but the car's value is about 2,000 lower than the residual.

Has anyone been able to buy out their lease end car for less than residual? VW Credit was not willing to discount. I am waiting for my local dealer to offer me a deal where they buy it from VW Credit as a "trade-in" and I buy it from them. I assume I can do this with any VW dealer so I can shop around to see which dealer will pass the most savings from VW Credit to me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Good luck with that. This was a big issue around 2008 with big GM SUVs. Residuals were far higher than market value. I know a number of people who tried to negotiate a lower buyout and were stonewalled. Think about it: The credit arm of a manufacturer has no incentive to do something on behalf of a retail customer. The dealer may go to bat for you but they really don't have any power in this situation.

I bought out my lease on my '15 GSW after about 3 months. Since I plan to keep the car forever its value really doesn't matter to me. The choice you have is to pay more to get a car that you know, or save some money (maybe) on one with unknown treatment and maintenance. If you plan to keep the car for a while, and if you've taken care of it, I'd suggest you buy it out.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
If you were happy with the original sale price that they based the lease on, the buy it. Residuals are effectively never negotiated.