Skunkwerx Performance TDI Performance, Repair, Service and Malone Tuning

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I purchased a stage 1 tune from Mark a year ago and now am looking to upgrade to a stage 4 custom for my 17/49 vc hybrid. Could I get a discount on the new tune since it's only a year later? My tuner is Matt Phelan and he's too busy to travel to me. I'm looking into renting a flashzilla with a stage 4 custom for my turbo with pp764 nozzles and euro jet smic. Can you work out a deal on the tune with Mark? He mentioned the stage 4 a year later would only cost 150? I'm running stage 1 with dynamic egr. Thanks
Emailed

A5INKY

TDI
Been a crazy couple weeks at Skunkwerx. Louisville got hit with more snow than I've seen here in a long time. I'm no stranger to heavy winter weather as a Colorado native and long time resident, but this city and it's inhabitants are easily crippled by Old Man Winter when he actually shows up. Things are finally returning to normal.

Anyway, just finishing up a shop move and will be back to full speed next week. I've been staying so busy the website has been left in "under construction" mode for a long time. It may be a bit longer before I finish providing my web developer content to complete the site, but I'll at least get the contact page updated ASAP. In the meantime, the new address is:

Skunkwerx Performance LLC
1608 Russell Ave.
Louisville, KY 40213

As a one-man-band it makes sense to stay "by appointment only" for now. But, I'm at it M-F normal business hours. Thank you to the TDI faithful for keeping me busy! :D

arek

TDI
2001 Golf
Gonna give some love to Skunkwerx! Dax installed a Wavetrac LSD (Thanks Matt Whitbread!) and confirmed my ALH diagnostics were on target...even ironed out some pesky things while he was at it. Very easy to deal with and flexible. Thanks Dax! New shop is sweet.

Last edited:

A5INKY

TDI
Gonna give some love to Skunkwerx! Dax installed a Wavetrac LSD (Thanks Matt Whitbread!) and confirmed my ALH diagnostics were on target...even ironed out some pesky things while he was at it. Very easy to deal with and flexible. Thanks Dax! New shop is sweet.
Thanks Eric!

A5INKY

TDI
Too much torque! How much can a stock common-rail TDI clutch take? Apparently less than a Malone stage 3 tune with CR170 upgrade turbo makes! Entire disc facing shreaded off the flywheel side. The dual mass flywheel was failing too.

Showing a couple of side-by-side pics of the old clutch and the new Sachs Race Engineering clutch that is replacing it. This one is rated at 390 lb-ft of torque. That should do it!

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I didn't realize this thread was here otherwise I would've posted earlier.

On April 1st, after a few months of e-mailing back and forth between Dax and myself, I finally dropped my car off to have a full 3
inch straight pipe installed, along with a DPF & EGR delete and Malone Stage II tune.

I don't have enough great things to say about Dax. He was always very polite, professional and informative and he completed all the work on my car in just about a work day. I dropped it off after I got off work at 0745 and I picked her up right around 1600 or so. If anyone I know with a TDI needs any work done or someone knowledgeable to talk to I will be letting them know about Dax for sure.

I do have one very small complaint though. I want a sticker to put on my rear window! :D

professorxjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5spd w/ 400k
Had Dax completely refresh the suspension on my MKIV Golf which included struts, shocks, springs, all mounts, SB bushings, SB end links, tie rod ends, rear bushing and went ahead and had him do my E-brake cables since he was right there.
After discussing clearance issues, Dax recommended I go with some Jetta Wagon springs and and Bilstein TC sport shocks/struts. He also put in 2 strut spacers to make the front height match the rear. I am incredibly satisfied with the overall refresh and couldn't be happier with my suspension. I gained about 2.5" of clearance and the car rides like a dream (actually way smoother than I expected). The older suspension was pushing 300K miles so it was definitely time for a refresh.

Like my previous experiences with Skunkwerx, I couldn't be happier. His shop is professional and his knowledge and work speaks for itself. Very happy to have a guru so close to home. I highly, highly recommend Skunkwerx if you're thinking about doing anything to your TDI. Thanks again Dax!

EDIT: I also would like to complain about not having some sort of sticker to put on the car!

nullsignature

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Premium w/ Nav
Hey!

Not sure how often you check your email but I sent you one this morning looking to get some rough pricing (my name is Thomas). I didn't know this thread existed until now!

Also do you have any specials/deals running right now?

A5INKY

TDI
Thanks Parker and Josh for the kudos. I gotta get those stickers done ASAP!

Hey!

Not sure how often you check your email but I sent you one this morning looking to get some rough pricing (my name is Thomas). I didn't know this thread existed until now!

Also do you have any specials/deals running right now?
Just sent you a written estimate. And yes, I have the down pipes in stock! :D

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Dax---glad to see you taking those "complaints" seriously, nothing worse than a vendor who does not hear the wants of his/her customers.:eek:

Fire&TDI

TDI
09 jetta
So what are limits/ advantages of CR170?
How does it make more power?
What is the boost pressure on high end and normal operating pressure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A5INKY

TDI
So what are limits/ advantages of CR170?
How does it make more power?
What is the boost pressure on high end and normal operating pressure?
The benefit of the CR170 is that it moves more air mass at same pressures as stock. The difference is enough that we can tune the ECU for the higher power output smoke free and keep EGT's in check so that the limiter doesn't cut fuel at the higher output. The CR140 stock fuel system is good for ~220-230 WHP, trick to getting the power is to move enough air to keep a smoke free lamda and EGT's in line. Most stage 3 tuning is 26 PSI, though we have pushed this a little higher (27.5 PSI) in some cases with no issues yet.

s.c

TDI
2013 Jetta
Hey just a heads up when the stage 4 comes out and i got the money saved up for it im coming to see you!

A5INKY

TDI
Worst PD cam failure I have seen to date:

Customer found this car for sale as a basket case and consulted with me on worse case scenario to bring it back from the dead. So, no idea on the history. With a follower so destroyed that it broke out of its bore and 5 other holed followers, it think it safe to say the previous owner drove this thing around in its very sick condition for a long time. Every single cam lobe was trashed!

Just one more reason I inspect every PD cam I do a TB job on. Most are just fine or the wear is minimal enough to make another TB service interval. My goal is to catch damage while it is still a cam replacement and not a head replacement. The difference in repair cost to the customer when they are let go like this is significant.

A5INKY

TDI
Hey just a heads up when the stage 4 comes out and i got the money saved up for it im coming to see you!
Malone's lower cost CR140/GTB turbo manifold is not quite ready yet. But we have tubular manifold GTB turbo options available right now. Drop me an email when you're interested :D

A5INKY

TDI
If I sent you my ecu from my bew how much would a stage 2 Malone tune cost?
Thanks
I don't tack on any other charges to Malone's published pricing. $349 plus return shipping will do it. Better yet, if you provide a paid return label, $349 total.

Sent you a PM on my 09 CR Jetta.
PMs replied.

A5INKY

TDI
A huge THANK YOU! to Fred's TDI Club and its members for all the support these past few years in making Skunkwerx a success. Quitting my day job to work on TDIs full time last fall was one of scariest things I've done. I am so happy I did though.

In fact, business is so good that my little one-man, craftsman style repair shop has been receiving such a steady flow of calls, emails and text messages that I am having to reassess how I communicate. I answer each call/text/email personally and some days it is getting really hard to get the car repairs done.

To keep communication AND service quality high, I have set-up a dedicated Skunkwerx phone line. The number for this phone is unchanged - (502) 724-2605. I will be answering this phone 9AM to 5PM Monday through Friday. If you reach my voicemail during those hours I am either elbows-deep in a car repair operation that requires my undivided attention, or with another customer. Please leave a message, I will return your call ASAP during those hours. You are still welcome to call during off-hours and leave a voicemail, I will return your call during the next work day.

Though I will no longer be utilizing text messaging, please feel free to email me at dax@skunkwerx-performance.com. I try to answer all emails within a business day. Email is definitely preferred over club PM.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

A5INKY

TDI
Summer is drawing to a close and the work at Skunkwerx has been consistently hot and heavy. It's time to take a little break in the action. As of today, Skunkwerx is suspending work until September 22nd. I will be on a foreign adventure and not have any phone service for the duration of the trip. However, I will have intermittent internet access (I hope!) and will surface every few days to respond to emails. The week I return is filling up fast all ready, but certain work such as tunes may be worked in.

Thank you all for the awesome support once again. Please feel free to email me at dax@skunkwerx-performance.com. Sorry, but I will not be responding to PMs during this time. Please email me instead.

Happy Trails!

Last edited:

A5INKY

TDI
October Dieselgate Special at Skunkwerx

I hate vacations, but only when they come to an end :p. Back in town now and refreshed. Time for a "special"!!!

For October I will discount "off-road racing" DPF/EGR delete exhaust and tune packages for 2009-2014 Golf, Jetta and Jetta Sportwagen TDIs 5% on parts, labor and tune. This means nearly a $100 savings on stage 2 cars with DSGs. What's more, I will discount another 5% if the job is paid in cash. Yep, you can save up to a couple hundred dollars.

Standard everyday pricing for 2.5" DPF/EGR delete exhaust connected to the OE cat-back for cars with manual trans and Malone stage 2 tune: $1441.95. October sales prices (cash): $1297.75

Same set-up but with DSG (requiring DSG tune) : $1940.95 (everyday pricing). October sales price (cash): $1746.95.

Exhaust systems are in stock now. Call (502) 724-2605 or email dax@skunkwerx-performace.com to schedule your race conversion :D

Mention this special when you contact me and tell me where you saw it. Work must be scheduled, completed and paid during the month of October 2015.

Last edited:

A5INKY

TDI
Show your thanks to VW for their Dieselgate "Goodwill" gesture by using it to better effect!

Use your $500 VW "Goodwill" credit card to place a deposit on a DPF delete pipe install and tune package by December 31st and I will honor October's Dieselgate special allowing the work to be done at your convenience anytime up to the end of March 2016. To get the additional 5% cash discount simply pay the balance due when work is completed via cash. Use of the goodwill card for the deposit will not prevent the cash discount.

"Off-road racing" DPF/EGR delete exhaust and tune packages for 2009-2014 Golf, Jetta and Jetta Sportwagen TDIs are discounted 5% on parts, labor and tune. This means nearly a $100 savings on stage 2 cars with DSGs. What's more, I will discount another 5% if the job is paid in cash. Yep, you can save up to a couple hundred dollars.

Standard everyday pricing for 2.5" DPF/EGR delete exhaust connected to the OE cat-back for cars with manual trans and Malone stage 2 tune: $1441.95. October sales prices (cash): $1297.75

Same set-up but with DSG (requiring DSG tune) : $1940.95 (everyday pricing). October sales price (cash): $1746.95.

Call (502) 724-2605 or email dax@skunkwerx-performace.com to schedule your race conversion :D

Mention this special when you contact me and tell me where you saw it. Deposit must be received by December 31, 2015.

T.W.

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta sedan; 03 Jetta SW
Great service

Gotta give another shout out to Dax for his helpful and professional service in getting Momma's car up and running again. Dax, appreciate your willingness to jump on it and get her done. Thanks much!

TW

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
I called the number. apparently Dax does not have the number any longer.