TDIFest 2010, the location is Portland, OR

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
VW Derf said:
I sure hope so. We need to keep our "Canadian Content" up. Out east it has been the Ontario and Quebec guys doing this job, but this year it falls to us in the west. Hopefully some Canadian neigbours to the east (AB or even SK?) will join us.
Myself, I might head down a bit early and not be able to be part of a convoy.:(

It looks like I'll fly to this one... Air Canada convoy...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
blizzard60 said:
So, like most New Englanders you've obviously never been anywhere else in your life! :D :D :D :D
What Lug_Nut said. I'm Platinum for life on American, with my current lifetime mileage at a bit over 2.7 million. And have close to or over 1 million lifetime miles on United, British Airways, Delta, and US Airways. So I've been a few places and still call MA home. I really like Vancouver, by the way.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
cmitchell said:
Holy crap this is exciting news! I'm certainly going to put it on my schedule. By the way I drove (alone) from the shore of the Pacific to Buffalo, New York in only 4 days this past summer. It's a great drive in a TDI so come on out you Midwesterners & Right Coasters. You can do it in only a few days... each way of course! My sincere thanks to all you organizers. :)
Just over 2700 miles according to google maps. And you took away the "it's a real long drive from Buffalo excuse"! I live about 1/2 hr north of the Nickel City....

Let's see.... about 42 hours. Drive 11 hrs per day and get there in 4 days. :D

cmitchell - Did you drive via Salt Lake City?

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
I'll be there and may be able to help with organizing. I should be on the West Coast (back home) in Seattle by the beginning of 2010 so I'll keep in touch

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf TDI, '00 Jetta TDI(SOLD), '84 Rabbit 5sp NA(SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI(SOLD)
Count me in! any excuse to road trip back to the west coast, I have lots of family in the Portland/ Vancouver/ Battleground areas, as well as on the Island. Always love to get back to Oak Harbor!!
Ben

(Now I just have to sell it to my wife, Maybe as a preasant on her b-day weekend!)

N8, it's only a 3 day ride from the FL panhandle/ south AL.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Selling it to the wife.... Yep, I know how that one goes. Wedding anniversary for us.

Sure maybe I could do it in 3 days - 14 hrs driving each day. :) That is a lot of coffee...

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
And I've started my planning too. 18 hrs. a day driving, average speed (with breaks and all) of 60 mph, close enough to 1000 miles a day. Three days out, three back.
40 mpg is 25 gallons a day, two fill-ups (damned this tiny fuel tank in the Cabrio!), if $3 a gallon will be $450 in fuel round trip.
Then there's my caffeine requirement, 6 hrs a day down time when that effect wears off, tolls,...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I wouldn't be able to handle 18 hours of driving per day for three consecutive days. 14 is about my limit. I know, I'm a wuss. ;)

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
n8ronJ said:
:D

cmitchell - Did you drive via Salt Lake City?
I-84 out of Portland
jump up to I-90 via US 395
I-90 to I-94
I-94 to Fargo, ND
US 10 out of Fargo to State Route 210
SR 210 to I-35 N
I-35 to US 2
US 2 to I-75 S
I-75 S to I-69 E
I-69 E into Canada
in Canada: 402 to 401 to 403
Crossing into New York just north of Niagara Falls
I-190 to I-290 to I-90 to BUF to pick up my wife!

The convention I was attending was in Erie, PA. Here's the return trip:
I-79 S out of Erie to I-64 W
I-64 to St. Louis
I-70 to Kansas City
I-29 N to State route 2
State Route 2 west to Lincoln, NE
I-80 to just north of SLC to I-84 W
I-84 to Ontario, OR
US 20 to I-5 S
I-5 S to SR 38 W
SR 38 W to US 101 S
US 101 S to home in Port Orford

I drove straight home from Rawlins, Wyoming which was just a few minutes more than 20 hours of driving. That was a crazy day, but I just wanted to be home. It was a great trip. Thanks for bring back the memories!

Last edited:

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice route. It took me a minute to figure out that you drove thru the upper peninsula of Michigan there.

I can't believe I'm really considering a cross country trek... :)

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I would consider driving out, though I don't think I could get 2 weeks vacation time. So I probably fly in for weekend, then fly up the Fairbanks, AK to visit family for a week. Then return home.

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
Sounds awesome! I'll be there! :D

Keli, Philip, Pierre Bigras, Justin and Michele thank you for putting in the work on this! I remember you all chatting about it at the last GTG this summer! Let me know if I can be of any help!

- Tom

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
bugget said:
Sounds awesome! I'll be there! :D
Keli, Philip, Pierre Bigras, Justin and Michele thank you for putting in the work on this! I remember you all chatting about it at the last GTG this summer! Let me know if I can be of any help!
- Tom
You got it Tom.
I'm in charge of volunteers.....:D
-Keli

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Zippy_car said:
Chris, Thanks for the offer of help! don't worry, we'll be callin' on you and others to step up to volunteer for helping out at fest. As planning gets ramped up we'll start posting more about what's happening, so keep you're eyes peeled.

It's never to early to get a convoy thread going. Work up the excitement level for people to attend! the more the merrier. It's always awesome to see a large crew of TDI's pulling into the parking lot together and traveling on the highway together! Go for it! :)
Done and done! Linky

Let me know what I can do to help when the time comes!
-Chris

agdtec

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 2000 blk
Congrats on getting the fest

I would have loved it being in Chicago,
but as I always say the best parties are at somebody else's house, no dishes to clean and no broken funiture.:D

31 hours 16 minutes / 2124.15 miles 3.5 tanks of fuel approx numbers as I did not set the addresses in mapquest just the city state info.
I love to drive and as long as I can find 7/11's to refill my 60 oz diet cokes, I'll be fine.

Now just have to call my cousin and see if he will still be living in Portland by the time the of fest, he is trying to move to Tx where his wifes family is. Otherwise I lose my free sofa bed.:D And my cheap a$$ hates to pay when i get it for free:rolleyes:

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lug_Nut said:
And I've started my planning too. 18 hrs. a day driving, average speed (with breaks and all) of 60 mph, close enough to 1000 miles a day. Three days out, three back.
40 mpg is 25 gallons a day, two fill-ups (damned this tiny fuel tank in the Cabrio!), if $3 a gallon will be $450 in fuel round trip.
Then there's my caffeine requirement, 6 hrs a day down time when that effect wears off, tolls,...
This is about how I thought of it. Wisconsin day one, Montana (brother's house) day two, destination day three. If I bring the dog he may rebel, however. And I try to keep my average at 65-70, including stops. 75-85 driving speeds.

And if I drive the B4V I could do it on three tanks. Easy. Probably 4-5 in the wagon.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
This thread is going to be a mile long by the time September 2010 gets here... :)
If there is enough contingent from the east then it would be quite cool to convoy.
IBW - That wagon of yours is awesome. Haven't seen the B4V.

This means I have about 10 months to get RC and some nozzles. And 10 months to try and convince my lovely wife that she'd like to spend 84+ hrs driving in the car with me. (You want me to go to a car show for 3 days? wouldn't you be better of flying??)
I like flying - I'd much rather drive...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I was considering driving the Mercedes out... but $670 in fuel costs alone is putting a damper on that idea :( Plus the thing will probably break down on the way setting me back another couple hundred.

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
compu_85 said:
I was considering driving the Mercedes out... but $670 in fuel costs alone is putting a damper on that idea :( Plus the thing will probably break down on the way setting me back another couple hundred.

-J
It's definitely not going to be a cheap trip.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I plan to drive, have a co-worker that wants to tag team. Anyone wanna be a third in my golf for the trip? makes splitting fuel & the hotel room that much cheaper for all of us.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Growler said:
I plan to drive, have a co-worker that wants to tag team. Anyone wanna be a third in my golf for the trip? makes splitting fuel & the hotel room that much cheaper for all of us.
Might caravan witcha if you'sn have me. (been watching Jar Jar too much)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I dont think we plan on stopping at any hotels along the way, you gonna have a co-driver bob?