www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted

TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted VW TDI/Diesel cars for sale and wanted.

Old May 11th, 2019, 12:56   #1
MorganR

Default WTB ALH Jetta Wagon

Trying to see what is out there. I am looking for a alh Jetta Wagon. Engine and transmission I really don't care about condition or what it is. I am mainly looking for a good body. Looking to spend less than 2000$

I am located in North Carolina but don't mind a 5-6 hour drive to get it.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
MorganR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 13:05   #2
torman
Veteran Member

I was going to push you to mine, but less than $2000 is tough. Good luck.
torman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 14:43   #3
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganR View Post
Trying to see what is out there. I am looking for a alh Jetta Wagon.
Who isn't? If a clean body is your primary objective and your budget is that limited I'd suggest you look for a clean 2.slow automatic wagon and swap in an ALH. You could probably find a good gasser with a blown transmission for $2K, but it would cost that much again, most likely, to bring the running gear up to snuff and swap in a TDI. Still, if you're willing to do the work it might be an option.
Old May 11th, 2019, 14:46   #4
MorganR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Who isn't? If a clean body is your primary objective and your budget is that limited I'd suggest you look for a clean 2.slow automatic wagon and swap in an ALH.
To be honest I would not mind a gas car. I like a challenge. My main objective is to replace my Wagon that a tree fell on last winter. So getting all the running gear together is not a problem. I do all of my own work so that's not an issue either.

Last edited by MorganR; May 11th, 2019 at 15:00.
Old May 12th, 2019, 19:18   #5
DIESELMAN3500
Veteran Member

PM sent.
I have something you might be interested in. Or anyone else looking for a clean body with transplant parts
John
DIESELMAN3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 18:42   #6
mrurbina

Thers a 2.0 wagon near Burlington iirc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:51   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Funny thing is, it seems most of the A4 Jetta wagons sold here were diesels. I hardly ever have seen one with a 2.0L, and only ever saw ONE with a VR6 badge on the gate.

LOTS of ALH and BEW wagons, though. I have a 2005 here today with 415k miles on it.
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:54   #8
MorganR

I think I might have found the one I am going to buy. It's an 2003 ALH Silver Wagon that tossed a timing belt off. If any of you have any tips on things to look for when i go to look at it that would be great. I know my way around the driveline pretty well but the body and other things like that not so much.

Old May 15th, 2019, 10:05   #9
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Well, if the timing belt was allowed to tooef, it probably has piles of other neglect. Almost too lengthy to list, LOL.

But I will try and hit the highlights:

cooling fans

alt pulley

control arm bushings

HVAC vent foam

door latches

Chaxles

parking brake cables
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:08   #10
ssaric1.9TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto...883023011.html
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:13   #11
MorganR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Well, if the timing belt was allowed to tooef, it probably has piles of other neglect. Almost too lengthy to list, LOL.

That's something I did not think about Oilhammer. I do have a parts car that has pretty much everything in very good condition except the body. So if something is worn out I do have spares.

How about the body itself?
Common rust spots?
Anything along those lines?

Old May 15th, 2019, 10:14   #12
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Night time photos? Really? Makes me wonder what they're hiding. But even if the body is straight and rust-free, "pretty good shape for a 16 year old car" is a flag. Looks like it needs front seats, headliner, maybe some other interior stuff. Suspension and control arm (and possibly rear axle) bushings, tires (I bet), probably brakes. Clutch should be OK for a while unless it wasn't driven properly. Odds are the original timing belt was never replaced. Like oilhammer said, wonder what else they skipped.

Those are my guesses based on what these cars usually need. Of course this one may be different. But I'm betting not.
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:17   #13
MorganR

Yeah, I had seen the one in Nashville before. The night time photos worried me a little to much and I got no response when I asked for more pictures in the day

Old May 15th, 2019, 10:19   #14
torman
Veteran Member

Everyone wants cheap and agreed, some of the "cheaper" TDIs can definitely have a lot of potential for deferred maintenance and neglect (some known and many unknown). I would rather pay a little more for documented history of care, else you can eat up and exceed any potential savings by going cheap (unless you do most of the work yourself). Not always the case, but more often than not.
torman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:25   #15
ssaric1.9TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Night time photos? Really? Makes me wonder what they're hiding. But even if the body is straight and rust-free, "pretty good shape for a 16 year old car" is a flag. Looks like it needs front seats, headliner, maybe some other interior stuff. Suspension and control arm (and possibly rear axle) bushings, tires (I bet), probably brakes. Clutch should be OK for a while unless it wasn't driven properly. Odds are the original timing belt was never replaced. Like oilhammer said, wonder what else they skipped.

Those are my guesses based on what these cars usually need. Of course this one may be different. But I'm betting not.
Agree with you on everything you said and thats why its negotiable. With all the issues maybe $1500 would be top pay for it. Timing belt receipt would be plus if it was ever done LOL. The only good thing this car has is somewhat low mileage however I would double check it.