98 Jetta TDI suspension question, from a new member

Albert Marks

TDI
1998 Jetta
Hi,

I own a 98 Jetta TDI with about 91,000 miles. All 4 shock absorbers are totally shot, and it's time to replace them.

My objectives are

(1) To replace with something that will not change the original performance of the car too much, and I do NOT wish to lower it or modify in any other way.

(2) I'd like reasonable quality shocks and good workmanship on the installation.

(3) I'd prefer not to do it myself (although if that cannot be achieved without compromising the requirement in (2), I will do it myself. I have done so before on '85 Jetta TD and this one seems a close match.

I am located in NJ.

Any advice on where I should go (Sears? for example, or any place else that does not constitute blasphemy) and what kind of shocks I should ask for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I guess one reason why nobody has posted an answer, yet, is the fact that suspension is as much personal taste as it is technology.
People have put "ordinary" Monroe SensaTracs onto their Jettas and Golfs and could not be happier; others consider this setup to be utter cr%& that is much too soft and do not budge from their Bilstein TCs - which others find unreasonably harsh and no improvement at all.
In short - if a maker of shocks offers a model that fits the TDI, someone will be using it and love it - and others will hate it.

Without intending to start a flame war; I went for the Bilstein HD shocks. I do not share the sentiment that they are "much harsher". I love them and the handling they provide. They leave the ride height stock and most likely you will never have to touch the shocks again, for the lifetime of the car.

Any competent garage should be able to swap shocks in a 1998 Jetta. I would go to a place that sees Jettas on a regular basis; it is not a TDI specific job.

There is tremendous suspension information on this forum; both products and how-to. Just do a search and be prepared for some reading! This could get you started: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=169231&highlight=bilstein+TC

As for prices: This link is an example (and does not constitute any endorsement on my side):
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=179918&highlight=bilstein+TC

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
have you looked at TDIparts.com? they have a nice storefront... you just need to remember your car is an A3 (not an A4) when looking around.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
First, how do you know they are "shot"? When shock absorbers fail, the oil inside leaks out, and they will be wet.

Most A3s original struts (shocks) are still tight and dry after 120k miles or so. The A3's springs are kinda mushy from the factory, and sometimes the control arm bushings are worn out. And almost always the foam bump stops have disintegrated.

Sachs/Boge is a good direct OE replacement. Reasonably priced.

Bilstein TCs are about an equivelent to the Sachs, maybe a bit more durable. Marginally stiffer, but not much.

Blistein HDs, what I recommend, are super durable, have a nicer stiffer firmer ride (gets rid of the Buicky feel) and will likely be the last struts you'd ever buy. There are 30 year old MB products out there that still have their original Billys on them that they left the factory with. HDs are also the most expensive, obviously.

I would NOT recommend the aftermarket cheapo Monroe or Gabriel. They do not fit right and require throwing away all the factory hardware and using their inferior stuff. :rolleyes:

Albert Marks

TDI
1998 Jetta
No shock absorption

Thanks for all the responses!

Unfortunately, I know that they are shot because the car does not provide any shock absorption whatsoever. I used to think that shock absorbers never died (and that was the case in my previous Jetta), and that when people tried to sell you new ones saying that it was dangerous to drive the ones you had, they were just trying to sell you something you did not need. But this car bounces all over the place, and when it hits even the smallest bump, the front end loses control for a brief period.

There is no fluid outside. I bought the car in this condition, and knew that I would have to do this. I assume this happened some time ago. In any case, you have got to believe me that it is quite frightening to drive this car over a bump, and it does not feel safe even in fairly normal turns (the price, however, was excellent, and I have no idea what happened to the shocks. The car is in excellent shape otherwise).

Of course, I can only comapre this car to an 85 Jetta TD which always had very tight hold on the road.

The tires and everything else that I can see are in excellent shape.

Thanks again!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the previous owner drove with blown shocks until the oil actually washed away and dried up, then yeah they'd look dry and be shot.

You will for sure need bump stops, and I'd go ahead and do the dust shields and upper mounts.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Hi Albert and Welcome:) ,

We concur with all of the above opinions. For the record we replaced our original `99 A3's suspension at around 75K (a couple of years ago) with the Bilstein TC's. We love them in the Jetta but somehow are not so happy with them in the B4V.

Scott & Chris

Albert Marks

TDI
1998 Jetta
New suspension report

I ended up buying a set of Bilstein TCs and the installation was pretty straight forward (ignoring one idiotic but recoverable mistake). Now the car actually absorbs a considerable part of road shock, as it is supposed to do :).

All 4 old shocks had zero fluid in them and were not doing anything useful at all.

I find the Bilsteins to be perfectly pleasant and not at all harsh.

Thanks for all the help!