timing belt damage

Nando

I am in a bind. Saturday my timing belt goes and it is a dealership that claims I need a new engine for 7500.00
I changed my first belt at 45,000 and thought I could make it to 60,000 on my second one. Well it broke when my odometer was reading just over 100,000 (so I got just over 55000). Does the engine usually get destroyed beyond repair when this happens and if so is 7500 reasonable?
Needing a car bad. (wife works and we have an infant)

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Hi there.
The bare minimum you'll be looking at is that the pistons have stroked the valves and the valves will need to be replaced. This is very unlikely and more likely is that the camshaft and related gear is destroyed. This means a new or rebuilt head. However, the pistons and con rods will also have suffered to some extent in a worst case scenario and in this situation, a dealer will specify a new engine rather than trying to rebuild. Dealers also shy away from second user parts so they can mark up the bits they do sell.

There are a couple of threads going at the moment about folk who (for one reason or another ) have found the need to replace engines. Have a look and get some ideas.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
what condition was the car in during the failure? If it was idleing you might get away with no damage at all, I've seen it first hand.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
As stated above, will definately need head work, but maybe not block work. It depends on how fast it was running when it snapped. A used or rebuilt head can be found for around $500. There may even be one for sale in the forum classifieds. There was a member named Smog. who had one a while ago. there is also one on e-bay right now for $500 new. Add about $1000 in labor & other parts and you should be back in bussiness. But if the block components were damaged (piston or connecting rods), then your best bet might be to find a used motor. Try www.car-part.com for one in your area. You can probably find one for a couple thousand $. Much cheaper than $7500.

Good luck.

m_hac

TDI
Golf, 2000, Blue
I know of a Beetle TDI engine with 6000 kms on it for sale, well as far as I know I know it's still for sale. It's at Stones Auto (709)364-6365. The car it was in was being towed behind an RV when the hitch let go. Engine apparenly wasn't damaged. He quoted me $4500 CDN for it, but shipping to you would be expensive seeing it's in Newfoundland, Canada. But still less than $7500, and you'll get a practically new engine.