Maintenance history

Tom Brown

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
I've been looking for a TDI wagon for a while now.

A few I've looked at have come with full maintenance records. I'm shocked at how much maintenance has been required for these vehicles.

One of these wagons is on it's fourth steering rack. Turbos. Intercoolers. Everything but the engines have been swapped, at least once.

I've rolled a lot of miles on my Golf and I've certainly had to do some work to it but I'm staggered by the shear volume of work that has been required on these wagons.

Is this the VW reality? My Golf must be an exception. In the 150K kms I've had it, I've done the wheel bearings, rear brakes, coolant sensor, alternator pulley, TB/WP, and a window regulator. That seems like plenty of work but it's nothing compared to other VWs I've found.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
No - it is not a VW Reality! I had 22 VW's in the Past and now I'm on my 23., my first VW Diesel. None of the VW's had a major Problem. My History with every car was only Maintenance and maybe a Belt / Tire or so. Nothing BIG!!!

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
The more complicated,the issues to go wrong. TDI's CR type are very sophisicted machines,mostly because of the emissions requirements that cause a lot of the problems, then there are the electrical issues,windows,pano roofs etc. I must say my 09 TDI has been pretty good so far. Fingers crossed.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Let me guess, the work was done at dealerships?
Exactly what I thought.
Dealership "maintained" vehicles that got parts thrown at it when something was "wrong". Most likely most of the replacements were not needed, especially if it was under warranty service.

Tom Brown

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
I have been focusing on 03 and 06 - 5 speed Wagons.

The issue is, I can pick up a nice 2010 JSW with reasonable miles for $17K. Some of these old cars will cost more than that, all said and done, over the next five years.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
There's a considerable difference in an '03 engine than the engines in the '04 to '06!

Yep! Has to be dealer maintenance or the hand wringers that read stuff here! We do have a lot of hand wringers that need to drive more and worry less. I've seen a number of posts about individuals changing TBs preemptively at about 85k miles that were running a 100k mile TB and components!