Will in town driving cause more maintenance?

TheRev_JTE

TDI
None
I just recently took a job and moved to Salem, OR. Currently, my wife and I are living in an apartment in Salem, however in 9 months or so when the lease is up, we plan on moving to Portland. Currently I drive a pickup to work, because I only have a few miles. However, once we move, I'll have a 50 or so mile commute to work. I'm planning on selling the truck before we move since it would cost a ridiculous amount of money for gas for that long of a commute. I am seriously considering a TDI to replace the truck, particularly since I'll have a long commute in the near future. I know that a TDI is best for highway commutes, but I was curious if driving it in town would result in additional maintenance. Obviously, i won't be buying anything until I sell the truck, but I just wanted a few opinions in case someone makes me a good offer on my truck. My dad and brother have both owned or currently own TDI's so I know about a lot of the standard maintenance, but they also both have longer, highway commutes.
Basically I want to know if I'm going to incur extra maintenance if it gets used as a daily driver (about 5 miles one way, normal edge of town traffic) with the occasional highway trip to Portland. Or would still be a good idea to go ahead and get a TDI once I get rid of the truck.
Thanks for any opinions.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Sounds like me!

used as a daily driver (about 5 miles one way, normal edge of town traffic) with the occasional highway trip
The above is a perfect description of how my 09 JSW is used, except that since I'm retired the 5 mile one way trip is usually to go shopping.

Nothing except routine maintenance in the 5 1/2 years I've had it, but I only have 40 K miles.

Last edited:

Jim B PEI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5M, (2010 Golf wagon DSG GONE, replaced by a 2014 Subaru Forester)
Buy the TDI as close as possible to the changeover date. TDIs aren't really good for a long steady diet of very short drives where the engine never really warms up. 5 miles one way is about the minimum range...or you can take the longer 'pretty route' home. 50 miles will be very good for it. Never idle a diesel to warm it up--start, give it about 20-30 seconds to get good oil pressure and drive off somewhat gently until the engine is warming up. Keep the interior heat control at 'cold' to allow the engine to warm faster. Its why VW TDI often come with seat heaters so you aren't bleeding off heat from the engine. Full throttle from about 1700-2500 is a 'good thing' from time to time, once the engine gauge is mostly warm/fully warm. No point in revving much above 2500 at the turbo does all the useful form at lower RPMs.--shift early compared to a gasser and full throttle again. It blows the cobwebs out. Don't lug it ever, and when you are underway best to keep engine at 1500 or above, and below 3000 as much as possible. Only exception to 1500 is if coasting with the clutch in, or at idle at a stop. Diesels idle at 900 for a reason. Running the engine slow like a gasoline engine won't save you fuel and it can cause problems. Again, never lug the engine.

If you have an automatic, then its moot because the car will decide when to shift.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Yes and no. Yes, in that maintenance per mile is slightly higher for short-distance driving. No, in that you're talking about so few miles that it really won't matter at all. (10 mi/day x 5 days/wk x 40 wks = 2000 miles = nothing in the life of a TDI.) Buy a TDI when you find a good deal and dump the truck at the same time. Then relax and enjoy the ride.

TheRev_JTE

TDI
None
What about traffic? Say I routinely end up getting stuck in slow moving traffic, how does that affect the engine?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Driving exclusively short distances can thwart the car's attempt to run regens to clean the exhaust, but as long as you take it for longer drives occasionally it'll be fine. I'm assuming you're considering a new TDI. If you're thinking about one that's pre-2009, it'll be fine.

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
Yes, 5-mile commutes are considered to be extreme service for any vehicle, gassers included. Unless you're trying to get a 2014 model, keep the truck until you move, might as well put all those "extreme service" miles on it instead of a TDI.

If you get the TDI, find a longer route to work that gets you more continuous-speed driving, preferably above 40 MPH. My commute is also short, so I often go up over a local "mountain" for the same reason.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Don't worry about traffic. It sucks to sit in, and if you wind up with a MT you'll be working the clutch a lot, but it won't break the car. They're not all that fragile. Particularly not in just 2k miles.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
sounds like you're a good prospect for a hybrid,but you won't have as much fun driving. I am a low mileage driver and have a 09 TDI with no unusual issues so far. I do put several long trips on each yr.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I just recently took a job and moved to Salem, OR. Currently, my wife and I are living in an apartment in Salem, however in 9 months or so when the lease is up, we plan on moving to Portland. Currently I drive a pickup to work, because I only have a few miles. However, once we move, I'll have a 50 or so mile commute to work. I'm planning on selling the truck before we move since it would cost a ridiculous amount of money for gas for that long of a commute. I am seriously considering a TDI to replace the truck, particularly since I'll have a long commute in the near future. I know that a TDI is best for highway commutes, but I was curious if driving it in town would result in additional maintenance. Obviously, i won't be buying anything until I sell the truck, but I just wanted a few opinions in case someone makes me a good offer on my truck. My dad and brother have both owned or currently own TDI's so I know about a lot of the standard maintenance, but they also both have longer, highway commutes.
Basically I want to know if I'm going to incur extra maintenance if it gets used as a daily driver (about 5 miles one way, normal edge of town traffic) with the occasional highway trip to Portland. Or would still be a good idea to go ahead and get a TDI once I get rid of the truck.
Thanks for any opinions.
The maintenance schedule accounts for all driving conditions. Your owner's manual may decrease certain maintenance item intervals based on heavy stop and go usage.

City driving does increase wear and tear (brakes and trans in particular are worked harder).

I would shop for the right tdi and jump on it if it comes up. Especially true if you go the used car route.

good luck

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
If you buy 2015 Golf which has the new EA288 engine. They are designed to get up to operation temp faster.