VCDS oddity

Rollincoal311

TDI
2001 Golf TDI ALH, 2.5 inch straight pipe
Hey guys and ladies,

I went to a local trusted VW shop not a stealership to have a go over on my golf which is an 01 TDI ALH had a few codes because the previous owner did an engine swap. I used a regular scanner and fixed a ton of easy fix issues MAF, Vac lines, GLow plugs etc.. then came time to verify the timing because the timing belt and pulley was recently done and i dont trust anyone so had her hooked up to VCDS first round we couldnt do the timing check because of a bad fuel temp sensor which gave the bad sensor reading. So went home grabbed a 9/32 socket a small smack with a hammer got the odd ball bolt off changed it up Tickety boo.

Went back to do the timing check and in 1 screen it read 92 for coolant and 46.3 or something for fuel temp, then into the timing graph screen it comes up as fuel temp out of range it claims its 132 and yet states the range is much higher then the reading. And i find it odd it reads it in C then in F in the graph screen.

Any idea *** or what the issue may be?

Secondly i asked him to show me the injectors to see what they are up to, She was all warmed up and at temp the IQ was like 2. something and from research i have read thats overfuelling and i should be inbetween 3-5 5 being more lean ontop of that the injectors are all over the place relatively close but not close as i would expect them to be i believe the numbers not in correct order were 0.14,0.19,0.21.0.17 to me that doesnt seem correct. Furl filter has been replaced within 100 kms and ran some euro product in the filter sorry cant recall the name but it was some German product and topped the rest off with diesel. There is no injector leaks or pump leaks.

I do have a ton of experience with many Diesels from auto to industrial and about 40 different makes

As for the VCDS i suspect either a fault with the software or my ecm is acting up giving an actual reading in C and a fault from the comp.

the injectors appear to be stock to me and havent been removed due to no scarring and what not. She does start a bit rough when its 5c or under sometimes a few hits to the starter which is uncommon and then alot of blue which is fine but the rough rough start leads me to believe the timing is off.

Sorry thats a ton of stuff any input would be sweet and greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

By the way the shop is Precision motors located in Regina sask a known VW audi porsche mercedes shop with 100 years experience between a few of the old guys neat neat shop if you are in Regina or ever intown go have a peak.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
...and if you think VCDS is broken the best bet is to call Ross Tech and talk to them directly... with registered serial number in hand they'll be happy to help you figure out if something is going on with their software.