tdi-sterndrive fishing boat engine options

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk4, touareg 2.5, octavia 2.0 8v, boats x2
I have a 7m fishing boat into which i am installing a BKD 16v 2.0 and volvo stern leg. Using a gastodiesel adapter plate for a v8 chev which should hopefully mean only front mounts will need to be fabricated(just waiting on a bellhousing to arrive so i can confirm it all goes together)

I have however spotted a damaged touareg with 3.0 v6 tdi engine coming up at auction in a few days which i am contemplating using instead just have a few questions hopefully someone can help with.

1. From what i have read it seems the v6 uses the same bellhousing pattern as the 4 cyl but would the crank pattern likely be the same also? same crank depth? i would prefer not to have to have a new adapter machined up to allow use of the v8 flywheel

2. I have a pd engine in a jetboat also so i am confident with the wiring for one of these, however have no idea how involved it would be for a cr? Would i have any issues which couldn't be tuned out due to the lack of speed sensor etc?

Original engine had 170hp, similar to a tuned up BKD so not entirely sure i need to go to the 3.0 anyway, but it would be less stressed than the 2.0 and not have any of the driveline shock issues 4 cyl diesels can give. So i think worth doing if its not a major headache.

yes i realise this engine can be bought already marinized but i do not have 20k to spend on one when the touareg will likely go for around 2k complete.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
Upon further research it appears the v6 actually uses the 5cyl bellhousing pattern so looks like i will be sticking with the 2.0 for the boat. Can anybody confirm? If the touareg goes cheap enough the v6 just might have to be put aside for a future project! Will post again once i have started bolting things together

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Cool idea. I have a similar sized fishing boat. I like the idea of swapping in a TDI. What are you doing for turbo and exhaust log cooling?

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
A CR can be adapted to run standalone. I put one in a old Beetle. You will definitely have to have a few things tuned away, but it can be done. I used Kerma TDI for that task, You may find someone over there too.

For cooling, you didn't say, but in these parts for riverboats even though it is freshwater the smart people use a closed system with radiator and coolant and stuff. Diesels like heat and you don't fill the engine with sand and corrosive water.

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
In the jetboat i used a larger watercooled gtb2260vklr and made my own water jacketed manifold but it was super fiddly on a tdi. This time im just going to try using the factory turbo/exhaust and having a couple of big fans on the engine box. Only time will tell how this works! i will certainly be running closed cooling using the heat exchanger from the old engine which is a decent size so hopefully will be up to the job. As the boat will be used exclusively in salt water i have also found a large intercooler from a marine diesel

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Are you going to use the DPF? On our Beetle swap we went just straight pipe and it wasn't too noisy. How close to flammables will it be? You might get by with heat shields and a fan. I would thermostatically control the fan too with a temp sensor.

For reference, in my car with a CR and DPF and everything I see an EGT of 1200F or 650C on a long hill at 8% grade, 8 miles long (13 km). On a normal highway run I see half that temp.

For cooling in the Beetle swap we are running a Honda Civic single row radiator with a thermostatic controlled fan, 88c thermostat in engine. We rarely see the fan run even on low speed during normal driving. The CR seems to run pretty cool compared to the last engine in the same car. It was a AHU with a mechanical pump.

We are running an intercooler from a Mk7 Jetta gasser and it is very good for cooling the charge. I feel it often after driving and it is barely warmer than the ambient temp on the cold end of it. In the car the radiator and cooler were in a compact sandwich together and we almost went with that setup but it was too heavy for our wants. The cooler alone is pretty light though, and our goal was to keep car weight down.

Hope some of these real world values helps your planning.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Im going a similar set up with a bhw in a 26 ft flybridge cabin boat. Running a water cooled manifold will negatively affect the performance of the turbo. I will heat wrap and turbo blanket anything i can and put a thermostat controlled intake fan plus dual bildge fans to both take in cool air down low and suck the hot out the top. I've toyed with the idea of making the entire engine hatch a raised teak platform with steps down to swim platform. Maybe put in some mounts for swivel chairs for sitting at the dock or a leisurely cruise. The heat would dissipate up out of what used to be an enclosed engine hatch. Might be louder but you drive the boat from inside the cabin (ac running) or up on the flybridge so noise level should not be bad vs a sbc. Inside the cabin i doubt it could be heard over the ac.

The only water i plan on injecting is post turbo. Was considering a T with a valve to adjust just how much water i put into the exhaust but i think stepping up to 4 inch exhaust exiting above water line below swim platform...less than 5 ft....i should have zero back pressure issues

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thought i would put a few pics up of progress so far in case anyone is interested. Have had to make a couple of minor modifications to allow use of the evguy adapter but nothing major. First issue was the volvo coupler spigot did not quite mate into the crank adapter but this was easily solved with 2 minutes on a lathe and it is now a tight fit. Did not take any pics of this though sorry.

second problem was the flywheel i used did not fit inside the volvo flywheel cover so i had to space the cover out 20mm with longer dowels. Proper marine flywheels may well be thinner but i needed one with the new chev crank pattern but older 12 3/4" size (only used in certain camaro's i think) Hoping i don't run into any spline depth issues due to this spacer but the sterndrive spline looks quite long so should hopefully be ok.

Otherwise all seems to be going together ok. Trying to mount as much as possible to the engine itself like a proper marine setup. I have used an intercooler from a 6cyl marine diesel(modified for my use). The coolant heat exchanger from a 3.7L 4cyl mercruiser and exhaust box(?) from the same engine. Exhaust is dry until this point and i will try exhaust wrap and a couple of 12" fans to keep the engine box cool.

Stuffed up and bought a raw water pump on ebay assuming the serpentine pulley meant i would just be able to fabricate a suitable bracket and drive it off the accesory belt. Turns out this pulley is actually supposed to be bolted to the crank so doesnt have suitable mounting points to be mounted independantly and would be running backwards as i had intended. Have hopefully solved this by leaving the AC compressor in place and bolting the water pump to it( any reason the bearings in the pump wont like running without gas in the system? could i just fill it with oil?)

I have used 2 adjustable front engine mounts attached to a structure bolted to the existing engine side mount from the car(any reason this shouldn't be ok?) Still have some gusseting to complete on the front mount i have made.
Have been searching for an ecu pinout for a edc16 2.0 16v BKD engine with no success. Would greatly appreciate any help with this. This particular engine came out of a golf. I am hoping wiring is similar to PD130's i have done i just need to know which wire is which!

Happy to answer any questions and would appreciate any advice!

Last edited:

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
In Boat mock up, the 7m glass over ply Hartley design it's all going in and my solution for getting the engine in and out of the boat. I will remove the heavy intercooler and heat exchanger before it goes back in as it may be stretching my engine hoist's capabilities with the extension on...

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking sweet. I have not touched mine yet. I just got my bhw wiring schematic last week, had not wanted to remove the engine without that first.

If the BHW schematic is simlar id gladly share it with you, pm your email addy.

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks what age is the BHW? If it's edc16 it may be similar but north American could be different if that's where you are? We get the European versions I believe as we are RHD

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The BHW is from the 2004 and 2005 Passat. I believe it's a north American exclusive model but that would have to be verifed by others with more vw back ground. I just like the vw's because of the power to weight raitos, plus they are cheap. Im tired of over priced transmisson eating 3.9 liter turbo diesels that are 700 plus lbs.