1998 AHU into MK1 OR MK2

veedabowlu

TDI
1981 Rabbit, 2001 VW Golf
I'm curious to know, if I can swap a 1998 AHU engine in a MK1 OR MK2, WITHOUT swapping instrument clusters... I did do a MK1 1.8t gas swap a few years ago and kept the stock instrument cluster. I used a digital to analog converter to run only the mk1 tachometer. I used an 02J with a mechanical speedo cable. coolant gauge ran fine with mk4 sensor, fuel gauge was left stock and used stock sender...
What other signals, night i be missing (not thinkng of?):confused:

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
You don't need the TDI instrument cluster to run a AHU engine.

veedabowlu

TDI
1981 Rabbit, 2001 VW Golf
Hello David,

So its safe to say that the only thing I need for the AHU engine to run with the stock cluster is the digital to analog converter, like I used before?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Yes, that is unless you want to run cruise control, where you will need a 3 wire VSS and that signal would come from the instrument pod. Check engine and Glow Plug lights are the other items that most MK1/MK2 pods don't support out of the box.

Zed.

TDI
'89 B3 T'die Passat wagon. '95 T4 van (1Z T'die converted). '87 mk2 Golf AHU tdi converted /02a etc. '92 & '95 200tdi Landrover Discovery
I used a mk2 golf td cluster, the tacometer gets its signal from the alternator's 'W' terminal as opposed to the ecu - easy to alter as its adding 1 wire:cool:

as to cruise, the gti clusters commonly have the 'hall-effect' sensor on the rear of the speedo, easily swapped to other clusters & the 'wiring' is already there in the cluster (the ecu gets its vss from the cluster anywaay so that side is easy!)

mk3 golf & B4 Passat tdi engine looms already have the cruise wiring installed (knitted :confused::rolleyes:;) :p ) to the fusebox connections, from the fusebox to the cluster & engine loom to cruise stalk is another connection / sub-loom

this is from experience on my '87 mk2 golf gl (1800petrol & cE1 loom) to ahu tdi conversion from a mk3 golf (cE2 loom)

Rich.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
best cluster to use would be for the late CE2 electrical system, would be the most compatible with the Mk3 factory TDI wiring harness.

Steve