CJAA in an S10

Tdis10

TDI
CJAA Swap into an s10
Got a good deal on a cummins qsb 4.5. So I'm scrapping the CJAA project. If anyone wants the engine 1000$ takes it complete with the ecu fuel system and turbo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
What is the weight difference between the Chevy, TDI and QSB?
I put an ISB in my Dakota and its pretty heavy. It also has a 2600 RPM limit so your always shifting.
Let us know where you post a build thread, would be interesting to follow.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Cummins site lists the QSB 4.5 at 745lbs wet. CJAA is about 350lbs wet. Sounds like a heavy engine in a S10 but it will have gobs of torque with a tune. :eek:

Now you have a good excuse to buy that performance 4L80e converted to a 6 speed!

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Have you looked into a tune?
I have never found anyone who can tune the ISB 170 but I have not looked in the last year or two.
Aftermarket OBD2 tuners don't work on the industrial engines from my experience.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I'd be throwing that 4.5 into a reg cab 1/2 ton not an s10. Would make for a better matched truck.

Tdis10

TDI
CJAA Swap into an s10
Ok I changed my mind again. I'm going back to the Cjaa in my truck. I sold the one I had to Jimmy but I got another one with a more complete harness from pull a part for a deal.

Some updates on the truck. I'm almost ready to order the adapter plate and mounts from tdconversions but I have a few body wiring tasks to get out of the way.

So far I sand blasted my frame and re coated it, mounted the cab, stuffed an 01' blazer interior into it and moved it out of my yard into my barn ha. Few pics below.

I took an 01' blazer LT and gutted it, my regular cab truck now has power adjusting seats, power sliding sunroof (webasto), factory overhead console, factory fog lights(had to use a Bravada harness), Bravada gauge cluster, rear air(used the blazer under carpet ducts which fit perfect), factory steering wheel radio controls, and auto 4x4. I used a cab from a truck with a 2.2 so I had to completely strip it down to nothing but a shell and change all the harness and HVAC box but hey... I was bored any way.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Does the blazer 4x4 work like the S15 models did? IIRC, that was a bit flaky.

My '95 Jimmy 4WD actuator would occasionally forget what mode it was supposed to be in. On more than one occasion, I was driving 65+ on the freeway and suddenly was switched into 4WD Hi. The issue was a short in the way they designed the S-10/S-15 actuators.

Tdis10

TDI
CJAA Swap into an s10
Does the blazer 4x4 work like the S15 models did? IIRC, that was a bit flaky.

My '95 Jimmy 4WD actuator would occasionally forget what mode it was supposed to be in. On more than one occasion, I was driving 65+ on the freeway and suddenly was switched into 4WD Hi. The issue was a short in the way they designed the S-10/S-15 actuators.

Yeah they work the same. I shouldn't run into that issue though. I did away with the vacuum diaphragm system that engaged the front diff and used a cable. Technically I guess the tccm could freak out if it had an issue and throw it in 4x4 high but it wouldn't engage the front wheels.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I did away with the vacuum diaphragm system that engaged the front diff and used a cable.
Good idea! It was the vacuum diaphragm that caused the problem. Loved that SUV (180K miles in six years) except for the stupid fuel injector design in the engine and the 4X4.

Can't wait for more pics!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Cab off rebuild. Nice! Glad to see you back on here with the TDI conversion. Super happy with mine now...it is worth the effort.

Tdis10

TDI
CJAA Swap into an s10

Few more pics, got the doors on and the rest of the interior less the seats and sunroof. Pic of the Bravada main harness I'm using for fog lights and to piggy back the vortec sensors to the Cjaa so my stock gauges work.

Tdis10

TDI
CJAA Swap into an s10

Few more pics, got the doors on and the rest of the interior less the seats and sunroof. Pic of the Bravada main harness I'm using for fog lights and to piggy back the vortec sensors to the Cjaa so my stock gauges work. And my NV3500 I scooped up for 250$

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Thanks man! I'm stoked! Did you ever come across the ecm pin Outs?

I just have the one for CBEA & CBAB ECU. The motor sensors are pretty much identical between the models (there are some exceptions) but ECU pin outs are a lot different. I am sure you local VW shop would print set off for you if you asked nice. :)

Tdis10

TDI
CJAA Swap into an s10
I just have the one for CBEA & CBAB ECU. The motor sensors are pretty much identical between the models (there are some exceptions) but ECU pin outs are a lot different. I am sure you local VW shop would print set off for you if you asked nice. :)

What did you end up using for a throttle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
My TPS pedal was from an audi a3. Your tuner can calibrate for pretty much any pedal I think. They just have to have information for it on file. The a3 pedal is stupid expensive and mounts funny so try something more common.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
Hello, do anybody heard of such a thing as a 6L80e to TDI adaptor plate? I'm in need to attach my 2.0 TDI CR 240HP to a 6L80e trans.

Let me know!

Thanks

Greg

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
My SB Chevy adapter will bolt up to the belhousing. I'm not sure about the crank pattern. You may have to use a Gen 2 flexplate?
Does anyone know the difference in the Gen 3 cranks?

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Gen 3 ls based has the same pattern but a different snout stick out. Wouldn't take you any time to lengthen your crank spacer. .400" shorter crank snout I think. I'd measure it for you but I just sold the spare 5.3.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
My adapter only uses the 153 tooth flywheel which looks like it would be a problem with the big 6L80 converter.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
What was the reasoning behind the smaller flywheel? Starter positioning or interference?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Universal fit. Some applications require the smaller flywheel so if I built it for the larger one it would not work. Usually if the large wheel works the smaller one will with no problem. Clutch holding power is not an issue even on the smaller wheel considering they are a V8 application to start with and lots of aftermarket clutch options.