ALH into 1992 2wd Toyota dually

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Welded up my custom aluminum coolant flange out of the back of the head and rolled a bead on the tubing coming off of it. It's ready to go to my X pipe that I'm designing.

Completely welded out my tacked exhaust and have it run all the way from the turbo back to the crossmember that is home to the front torsion bars. I need to fab a new exhaust support that ties the 3" stainless to the bellhousing bolts (like the stock Toyota exhaust was secured).

Got my nozzles (Bosio) installed on my injectors and set. Now, those parts are all installed in the head with new (Wurth) fuel line between the injectors.

I think our next order of business is buying / fabbing all of the parts for the cooling system. I'm going with a custom aluminum Griffin radiator (fill, upper, and lower hoses will all be on the driver's side) and I will have to design & fab a way to mount it. Planning to run a single, Spal e-fan.

After that, 1/2" plumbing for the fuel system - including purchasing the Fuelab lift pump.

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Have any pictures of the exhaust? I'd like to see how you squeezed 3" in there. I was having trouble with 2.25"

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
These pics still are what I went with. Now it's welded up instead of just tacked. I don't have any pics of the tube work outside of the truck or on an engine stand.

Before I send it off for coating, I will take some proper pictures of the parts on the bench. They look great in person. It's a shame that ugly coating will keep pretty much everyone from seeing just how sweet the welds and fitment look. Oh well, it has to be coated to help manage underhood temps.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5225893&postcount=29

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5225904&postcount=30

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
wow looks great! all of that room in there. may need to rethink mine

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Well, after forever it seems, The exhaust is done and I'm getting everything ready to send out to Swain Tech.

About Swain, I was planning to have them coat:
- exhaust manifold
- turbo hot side
- all the stainless you see in the following pics

However, my memory is playing tricks with me. For some reason, I was thinking that I was NOT going to coat the manifold. I was thinking that I had read somewhere that coating the actual manifold was a no-no.

Then, to refresh my memory, I started digging around yesterday and found threads where folks were glad that they did. If anyone can help clear my foggy memory on this (pros vs cons), I'm all ears. Otherwise, it's going to get coated.

BUT... before I cover up my welds for good, I took a picture of my exhaust mocked up on our spare ALH.

Have a look for yourself :)
In these two pics, you can see the double-slip joint (just behind the oil filter) & the bracket I made to attach the exhaust to the bellhousing (bolts into a modified O2 sensor bung).

If you want to zoom in so far as to taste the filler rod, try this link: http://i.imgur.com/AnLz5g3.jpg

Last edited:

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
Well, after forever it seems, The exhaust is done and I'm getting everything ready to send out to Swain Tech.

About Swain, I was planning to have them coat:
- exhaust manifold
- turbo hot side
- all the stainless you see in the following pics

However, my memory is playing tricks with me. For some reason, I was thinking that I was NOT going to coat the manifold. I was thinking that I had read somewhere that coating the actual manifold was a no-no.

Then, to refresh my memory, I started digging around yesterday and found threads where folks were glad that they did. If anyone can help clear my foggy memory on this (pros vs cons), I'm all ears. Otherwise, it's going to get coated.

BUT... before I cover up my welds for good, I took a picture of my exhaust mocked up on our spare ALH.

Have a look for yourself :)
In these two pics, you can see the double-slip joint (just behind the oil filter) & the bracket I made to attach the exhaust to the bellhousing (bolts into a modified O2 sensor bung).

If you want to zoom in so far as to taste the filler rod, try this link: http://i.imgur.com/AnLz5g3.jpg

coat the turbo manifold, hot and cold side of the turbo, intake pipe and intake manifold, and if you have the head off the combustion chamber.

it is very much worth it in the long run

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Thanks for that input.

I can see doing the intake manifold. That would serve as yet another barrier to try to keep that exhaust heat from making its way back to the air flowing through the intake.

However, I'm a little perplexed in that you recommend coating the compressor side of the turbo. From a logical standpoint, wouldn't you want that to be left bare aluminum to help get rid of heat that is being created by pressurizing the atmosphere?

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Thanks for that input.
I can see doing the intake manifold. That would serve as yet another barrier to try to keep that exhaust heat from making its way back to the air flowing through the intake.
However, I'm a little perplexed in that you recommend coating the compressor side of the turbo. From a logical standpoint, wouldn't you want that to be left bare aluminum to help get rid of heat that is being created by pressurizing the atmosphere?

man you're in the boro?!? I need to come check this thing out in person I'm in Clarksville

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Yeah, man! Boro resident. Let me know if you're down this way.

I'm in the process of looking for a box to ship all of this stuff off to Swain. Then, I'm moving on to the cooling system.

From there, a Fuelab lift pump. Lastly will be wiring. With my current work schedule, there's no telling how long all of this will take though. Gotta make hay when the sun shines ;)

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
Can't wait to see this running. Everything looks great sho far. Are you gonna stay with the 4:10 rear gears?

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
No, going to change them out in v1.0.

Got to get through this 'beta' testing first (moves under it's own power).

Yesterday I ordered our Fuelab lift pump, custom Griffin radiator, custom aluminum fan shroud, & Spal e-fan!

Today, boxed up the following to go to Swain:
- intake & exhaust manifolds
- all the custom exhaust tubing shown above
- our custom aluminum water-neck out of the back of the head (so close to exhaust over bellhousing)

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
In for updates bud

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Progress is still bumping along. I've changed jobs and work a ton now. Add to that winter chill and short days and not a whole lot has happened.

But, here is what has happened since last updated:
- Engine is in
- Exhaust has been 100% finalized, Swain coated, and installed
- Fuelab lift pump for Duramax ordered, received, and mocked-up
- Powersteering high pressure hose has been fabbed and installed
- clutch line remade and routed better using braided stainless
- intercooler brackets are finalized and installed
- lower radiator brackets (to frame rails) designed, fabbed, and installed
- upper radiator bracket designed, water-jetted and installed
- all air handling plumbing done with the exception of from intercooler to intake (current project)
Here's a pic of the radiator final location and top bracket. I used GM radiator isolators top and bottom.

Once the parts I'm lacking come in to finish the air handling side, I'm moving over to handling the coolant flow.

After that, will be fuel lines - delivery and return.

Then, a plethora of aftermarket gauges to keep tabs on everything.

Lastly, figure out where to put the battery (air filter is where the battery used to be) and wiring.

I'm not sweating the wiring but figure it will be easier to have a real clean look if I wait until all hard parts are where they need to be. Once everything is in place, running wires should be clean, quick, and (relatively) easy.

At my glacial pace, there's no telling when that will be though...

I do appreciate everyone's interest and am still committed to this project 100%. Even after all this time, my love for this TDI powered Toyota has not waned. I STILL think this will be one super cool truck :)

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Looking good! My glacial build started about a month before yours but I haven’t given up either, hoping to get it out of storage and into the garage at the new house. I’m roughly at the same point as yours. In the meantime I finished my harness with only 3-4 wires to hook up into the Toyota, it’s as standalone as it can be and should blend right into the existing harness. I even wrapped it up in harness tape, so my lengths and wiring better be correct or it’s going to be a pain in the butt to fix. How much of your exhaust did you swain coat? I did my exhaust manifold and turbo hot side and am thinking of doing down pipe.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
In for any updates. Started mine again but need some motivation.

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
papasmurf, I can always count on you to hold my feet to the fire :)
Short story:
I wanted to double check all of my coolant routing before getting the "coolant tree" ceramic coated. In checking everything, I couldn't pull a vacuum on the cooling system. Turns out it's leaking somewhere around the headgasket. I got heartbroke. Project got shelved while the coolant tree was getting coated and I licked my wounds.
Everyone likes pics (and vids):

Click the picture for a video.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to hear about the issue. I hope it gets straightened out and you get rolling again. I enjoy reading about your build and can't wait to see more progress and especially pictures.

Now with mine the only issue I'm having with the ahu is fitting the a/c compressor. Im in Florida so I need it. The passat b5 compressor bracket and compressor fits but belt alignment is off. Custom bracketry is required. Either way my ahu or alh will fit perfectly at all costs. Should have just got the center link brackets from yahoo right? Anyways keep up the great work and let's get this thread rolling again. You too Rockwell ;)