ALH into 1992 2wd Toyota dually

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Thanks jimbote. Your input is much appreciated.
Rockwell, here is a pic of the exhaust. It's kind of hard to tell from the pic but it comes out of the turbo as a 2.5". I immediately bump it up to 3" and start going downward and toward the bellhousing. The reason for the 'dip' before going up and over the bell is to give a little more clearance on the oil temp sensor wires and the hose I plan to send over to the heater core.

The other couple of exhaust pics can be found here:
http://imgur.com/a/GVYZI
Nice. The 1.6 I originally had in mine before had the exhaust going under the engine, like it crossing over behind the head better. Much cleaner install but was harder to do correctly. I couldnt quite fit 3" comfortably, I went with 2.25" and that gives a little room to wrap it or get it ceramic coated.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Thanks jimbote. Your input is much appreciated.

Rockwell, here is a pic of the exhaust. It's kind of hard to tell from the pic but it comes out of the turbo as a 2.5". I immediately bump it up to 3" and start going downward and toward the bellhousing. The reason for the 'dip' before going up and over the bell is to give a little more clearance on the oil temp sensor wires and the hose I plan to send over to the heater core.

The other couple of exhaust pics can be found here:
http://imgur.com/a/GVYZI
I can't help to think that you are going to run into issues with melting the plastic output flange. Needless to say that you exhaust can get HOT and that's really close to the plastic! I'd be looking at exhaust wrap to try to reduce that risk as much as possible.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't help to think that you are going to run into issues with melting the plastic output flange. Needless to say that you exhaust can get HOT and that's really close to the plastic! I'd be looking at exhaust wrap to try to reduce that risk as much as possible.
If there is no room for wrap, check out the white lightening coating at http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/automotive-coatings/ It's a thick true ceramic coating, not a thin cosmetic coating, and should help keep the temps down.

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Rock, behind the head is a neater looking install IMO. With that 2.25", you were at liberty to run that straight section. With the 3", it's a tight fit with NO room to run straight pipe. It took me quite a while to articulate those pie cuts to clear everything back there. I was pretty hellbent on running 3" though.

I'm very happy with the way it's looking so far.

As far as heat mitigation, I plan to ceramic coat it AND wrap it. DEI has some great wrap heat blocking products. I saw their display at PRI in Indy this year. That ceramic from Swain Tech looks very enticing. Thanks for sharing.

I'm hoping we can block enough heat off of that plastic housing. That 3" exhaust should flow well too. <finger crossed>

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
That 3" looks nice, I think it is overkill for the HP that the TDI can make. 2.5 should be plenty, but the hard work is done now! And it sure looks sweet.

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
That 3" looks nice, I think it is overkill for the HP that the TDI can make. 2.5 should be plenty, but the hard work is done now! And it sure looks sweet.
It IS too much as it's built now. I was hoping it would help keep EGTs down and leave room for further power enhancements down the road :)

I had some 2.5" on hand and tried it. As crazy as it sounds, that extra .5" makes a huge difference in clearance AND, a v-band for 2.5" tubing WILL clear all the way around the back of the head/firewall.

Like I said, I was just hellbent on running 3"

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I have built several old audis and used 3" on all of them (big turbo gassers). There is a very similar pinch point on those cars where the exhaust goes over the rear axle and above the subframe. I did 2.5" on this car because I figured it would never be over 250hp. SOO much easier to fit the 2.5" As you said, v-band clamps fit so much easier too.

That 3" pipe looks good. I like this project, and dream of putting the ALH from my mk4 into a nice clean, early 90's 2wd SRW toyota when the mk4 body gets too rusty. I love the steering modification, I would do something like that if I go through with it.

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
We should be in the 220hp range now. If we go with a 12mm pump, bigger injectors, and bigger turbo, we should be in the range where we would need 3".

That's a bit down the road but eventually, I'd like to get there.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate the compliments.

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
The BHW oil cooler / heat exchanger arrived from the folks at Cascade German (formerly Bora Parts) and I've got it on.

I cut one of the original coolant lines that went to the A/T cooler and this is what we're looking like:

Now, if I can get the coolant flange situated, I can move on to wiring :)

Here's what I'm hoping to do for the coolant flange. A simple, sleek outlet that I can weld whatever I want to. There's only one problem... I need to find someone to machine it. Any takers? LOL

(excuse the crudeness. Getting Google Sketchup to place nice with all the faces is not easy - at least it isn't for me)

It's machined to have a 1.5" OD outlet. Then, I could take a piece of normal aluminum tubing and make whatever I need. I went with 1.5" because that's what our radiator is going to have for an inlet.

I wouldn't want to go too awfully far with my 1.5" tubing. Just enough to clear the back of the head and have a bend in it moving everything away from the exhaust and firewall - I'm thinking 30*-ish.

Once installed, it has a flat on the top. I think that could be drilled and have an aluminum bung welded to it to receive the stock Toyota coolant temp sensor.

Ranch

TDI
ALH
If there is no room for wrap, check out the white lightening coating at http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/automotive-coatings/ It's a thick true ceramic coating, not a thin cosmetic coating, and should help keep the temps down.
I see you are in NH.. which may be beneficial to using Swain. (close to you) I used WWW.jcmmachineandcoating.com for several large engine piston coating jobs. They are south of St. Louis Mo. (closer to me)

Slightly better pricing, but the main reason I used Jcm is they got it done quickly. At the time, Swain told me it was going to be a month lead time. Jcm had my pistons back to me at end of that week.
Keep in mind this time of year (March onwards) is racer prep, and everybody is busy.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Swain did take awhile, but so is my project. I looked at JCM, they seem to do good work too

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
Did you use the toyota brackets on the frame? I was about to cut mine out and start over from scratch with them. Do you have any pics of them?

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
I did leave the brackets on the frame. From there, I replicated the factory, engine side, mounts' pad and built out from there. I'll leave this tab open on my computer and supply pictures when I get back home.

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Hopefully these will help you see what I did.
This is the drivers side looking from the front toward the back:

& this is the passenger side. Again, looking from the front to the back.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
Wow! Some of the nicest I have seen. Great job. Is there enough room on the passenger side for an a/c compressor?

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Thanks for the compliment.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough room to mount the VW A/C compressor down low on either side.

For that reason, I've ditched the stock U.S.A. injection pump bracket in favor of an imported, non-A/C bracket.

I'd really like to have A/C & plan to try to figure something out at some point down the road.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah i was hoping with the passat/audi a/c compressor bracket would work. Being in Florida I'll have to see how to make it all fit

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Yeah i was hoping with the passat/audi a/c compressor bracket would work. Being in Florida I'll have to see how to make it all fit
I'm in for more info on this if you get to it before me. I've made sure to not disturb the condenser or any of it's mounting points or lines when mocking up our intercooler (which I put behind it - in the location of the stock radiator).

I plan to put the radiator on custom mounts that actually bolt to the frame rails (and not the core support or intercooler) back behind the intercooler.

I used our Sprinter for reference on what order the atmosphere should hit: condenser, intercooler, & lastly, the radiator.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Would still love to see a side shot of your truck bud. I've seen a 4 door tacoma dually just not an extended cab

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Here's how it's sitting in the shop. The front is on jack stands since I'm working above and below to get the exhaust routed out of the engine bay and down the inside of the driver's side framerail.

Other items in the pic:
- factory VW Jetta radiator
- my sweet Femi bandsaw (for cutting the exhaust tubing so perfectly)
- the wiring harness (hanging - look just behind the cab and up. It's suspended from above to chase wires and remove nonessentials.)
- 3VZ sitting on the rear of the frame rails

Last edited:

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking great man!

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I am enjoying following your project. I am planning on building a 2wd single rear wheel pickup with extended cab and an ALH when the body on my jetta gets bad, so this is a great resource. I've been wanting to build one of these for several years, but keep talking myself out of it for some reason, or I end up building other projects. I may have said this a few pages back, but your solution for the dropped steering link is great. Something that is totally achievable in a home shop. Thanks for sharing that.

Do you know if a stock ALH vnt15/manifold would fit in the truck engine bay? I would like to swap over my ALH from the jetta in as-close as possible to stock form.

Again, great fab work.

Last edited:

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
Do you know if a stock ALH vnt15/manifold would fit in the truck engine bay? I would like to swap over my ALH from the jetta in as-close as possible to stock form.
Getting the VNT15 into the engine bay does not appear to be the problem. However, getting the starter bolted up is the issue. The starter hugs close to the TDI's block - right where the turbo resides. Perhaps a 4cyl Toyota's starter location is different but I don't think it is.? I started with a V6 truck and stuck with the R150 (2wd, V6 manual 5spd) trans for our swap.

vtpsd said:
Again, great fab work.
Thanks!

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Getting the VNT15 into the engine bay does not appear to be the problem. However, getting the starter bolted up is the issue. The starter hugs close to the TDI's block - right where the turbo resides. Perhaps a 4cyl Toyota's starter location is different but I don't think it is.? I started with a V6 truck and stuck with the R150 (2wd, V6 manual 5spd) trans for our swap.
Ahh, that makes sense. Looks like I would have to re-work the turbo to a more top mount configuration. I would likely start with a v6 truck as well since the trucks I am trying to buy are the optioned out versions with extended cabs, and it seems like most of those are v6 powered.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Bhw turbo manifold from a b5.5 passat if you're willing takes care of the space issue

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
That's the manifold I'm using as well.

However, looking from the rear forward, my turbo is shaped like a 'p' whereas yours is shaped like a '9' which gives you way more clearance than my setup.

baggedmazda

TDI
2001 golf tdi 5 speed
Wow cool build I happened on trying to research swapping a alh into my little b2200 look forward to following progress

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Any more updates? Can't wait to see this running!