BEW / Cherokee swap

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Not much to report when things just keep running.
We have had more snow this winter than in the last 25 years and the Jeep has been a real trooper.
Finally did a MPG test last weekend on a family road trip. Good mix of highway and city driving.
29MPG US gallons.
I'm pretty pleased with that considering the way I drive.

I do want to get it over to Malone tuning and see what we can do about the "rolling coal" issue and that should also help increase fuel economy.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Today my wife calls to say the Jeep made a really bad knocking sound when she started it up. She shut it off right away. Her dad came out of his shop after hearing the knocking. They fired it up again and it did the same thing and she turned it right off. My father in law said he thought it was a rod hammering the block and it was shaking the whole Jeep.
I left work and drove the 1/2hr into town to arrange a tow home. I wanted to hear the noise so I fired it up. NO NOISE!
Took it for a burn around the block and still no noise. Drove it the 1/2hr home (not gently) and still no noise.
Whats up?? Injector issue?
This is a PD engine so not a pump problem.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Maybe take a quick look at the pressure plate & flywheel? That can make a horrid knocking sound if it happens to be a bit loose. Doubt that's the problem but its worth a shot before you go digging into the engine.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Injector wire connector? Was there a check engine light when it was knocking? Probably shut it down before looking.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
very good thread! i found your website off of a FB group and sent you an email about a harness.

what have you been getting for MPGs in this lately?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Right around 27-30mpg.
Its off the road for the summer as we drive our electric car till the weather turns bad in Nov.
I'm going to haul the engine back out and install the Centerforce 45lb flywheel and clean up some loose ends.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Slower rpm drop and smoother operation. Went for a spin in it when Randy was over on the mainland on his current flywheel. Motor felt right at home, didn't notice any abnormalities and a lot of swapped cars are far less clean than his.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
that's nice to hear.
i am going to need to start doing research on AX15 clutch options that will handle up to 400tq if i decide to go all out with a tdi swap

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
The heavy flywheel also really helps to reduce stalling at stop lights when you have bigger tires.
I'm going to second this one - I wish I had a heavier flywheel on my Ranger conversion.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
Hmm, I think I might bite the bullet and use the LCE heavy flywheel for my tacoma TDI swap. It has 31" tires.

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, BHW Jeep XJ
I'm going to haul the engine back out and install the Centerforce 45lb flywheel and clean up some loose ends.
What are your thoughts on clutches while you have it apart? I'm debating a LuK vs LuK Gold, not sure if the gold's additional petal effort, and shorter engagement window is worth the extra "clamping power". Afterall, the OEM clutch in XJs was a LuK, with many reaching 200K+ miles!

Nozzleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Ford Ranger ALH
I'm going to second this one - I wish I had a heavier flywheel on my Ranger conversion.

I used a NV3550, flywheel and clutch out of a 2WD Jeep Cherokee (yes they actually made a few) for the larger clutch in my Ranger. I really like the heavy flywheel. It really doesn't like it but it will take off in second without pressing the throttle. The big clutch ought to handle bigger power if I get crazy and swap rods, add studs and girdle it and go to a Malone 5.

xjjeeper

TDI
99.5 golf, soon to be Tdi Xj
I'm going with the pro gold. Hopefully it's good with the gtb1756vk alh
What are your thoughts on clutches while you have it apart? I'm debating a LuK vs LuK Gold, not sure if the gold's additional petal effort, and shorter engagement window is worth the extra "clamping power". Afterall, the OEM clutch in XJs was a LuK, with many reaching 200K+ miles!

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I'm now a Centerforce dealer and have some of the High inertia (heavy) flywheels coming.
Want to get one into my XJ before it goes back on the road for the fall.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I'm now a Centerforce dealer and have some of the High inertia (heavy) flywheels coming.
Will you have any offerings for the toyota stuff? My current plan is to get a 22re LCE heavy flywheel and machine it to fit the toyota v6 clutch. I havent purchased anything yet, and would be interested if you had anything available.

A-man930

Veteran Member
TDI
Planning Stages: ALH Jeep MJ
This is good news! Gonna have to let the wallet recover from the adapter first though :p

xjjeeper

TDI
99.5 golf, soon to be Tdi Xj
Grabbed one of EvGuy's high inertia flywheel for the 4.0 and installed it tonight. Should be awesome!