BEW / Cherokee swap

A-man930

Veteran Member
TDI
Planning Stages: ALH Jeep MJ
The OEM pedal for 1997-2001 is part number 52079206. It looks like it crosses to a couple other Chrysler vehicles as well according to google. Chances are that the mounting point is the same across a long range, with only cable length changing. I have had lots of XJs, a 1992, several 1998's and a 2000, and the firewalls all look the same to me.
I'll be working with a 1990...

calbertson

TDI
96 cherokee tdi
Got some pictures with measurements today. Turns out I was wrong about the space I had between radiator and pulley.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

calbertson

TDI
96 cherokee tdi
That's great Randy. Glad to see is running good.

I do question the use of the egr port for the pyrometer prove though. I doubt it'll get an adequate reading around the bend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Super clean install!

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
nice job man, i need to score another trip to vancouver island and come up and check your place out

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Just an update on the Jeep.
LOVE IT!
On the highway its turning about 2200RPM at 100km/hr in 4th which it holds nicely.
Shifting to 5th and it drops too far and cant pull. Its fine over 120km/hr but not many roads are 120 around here.
With the current tune it has very little torque below 2000 rpm.
We are going to change that though and hopefully it will pull better below 2K.
Maybe a gear change is in my future. :(
You have to be careful on wet roads if you have your foot in it. The boost comes up real quick over 2000 RPM and it will break the tires loose in second.
It's turned out to be a great little rig and we should have it in the family for many years.

A-man930

Veteran Member
TDI
Planning Stages: ALH Jeep MJ
I was wondering how it would drive with those gears. Seems like you'd want at least 3.54s

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Just an update on the Jeep.
LOVE IT!
On the highway its turning about 2200RPM at 100km/hr in 4th which it holds nicely.
Shifting to 5th and it drops too far and cant pull. Its fine over 120km/hr but not many roads are 120 around here.
With the current tune it has very little torque below 2000 rpm.
We are going to change that though and hopefully it will pull better below 2K.
Maybe a gear change is in my future. :(
You have to be careful on wet roads if you have your foot in it. The boost comes up real quick over 2000 RPM and it will break the tires loose in second.
It's turned out to be a great little rig and we should have it in the family for many years.
I would say the same is true with the Ranger conversion. I am dumping the 3.73 ratio for 4.10 this spring when I do the 4x4 conversion. What ratio is your Jeep? Going that one bit lower gearing would help the off-road a lot too! I find my idle speed in 1st is too fast of a crawl speed.

In my Volkswagen Vanagon Syncro I am pushing close to 2700 rpm on the highway - you can do that rpm all day long!

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Jeep has 3.07 gears now so 3.5x would be a good change for me.
Great, even easier to break the tires loose when shifting!

David, I sent you a Christmas present today. :)

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
What would you say the ideal RPM would be at, say 70, in 5th on the highway. I'm starting to think about gearing

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I would agree with Jimbote, 2500-2700 should still give you good power on hills without having to downshift right away.
Most of our highways are all 100kmph/60mph so I never get out of 4th.

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, BHW Jeep XJ
I'm on 3.73's, my ax15 in 5th turns 2k at 60mph. Sounds like you are looking for 4.56's?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I would agree with Jimbote, 2500-2700 should still give you good power on hills without having to downshift right away.
Most of our highways are all 100kmph/60mph so I never get out of 4th.
Truck currently has 3.73 with stock 25" tires
3.73=2800 @ 70
3.42=2550 @ 70
3.07=2300 @ 70
The 3.73 and 3.42 are both 7.5" so I would just have to swap in a 3rd. The 3.07 is an 8", I have the axle but it needs a rebuild. Hmmm...

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
Great work.

I didnt even realize that you're on the island. Ill have to come have a chat next time im up that way. Maybe sometime this spring. :)

Nice to see some more jeeps on the forum

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Sounds like you have the best setup now unless your going larger tires and then you may want to go something in the 4.xx range.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Jeep has been running very well and I have ordered 4.10 gears to get my RPM up.
Very seldom ever use 5th gear so I can afford the lower gears.

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
One of these days I'll have to see that awesome XJ of yours in person! I occasionally make it up north. On your adapter plate, you include a starter. Is there an off the shelf starter that will fit? Let's say it goes out in the middle of nowhere, can I go to just any parts store to buy a replacement?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Yes the kits all come with a starter.
Its an aftermarket Mini High Torque unit which is very common.
We machine the end housing to fit our adapter but it just bolts to the end of the starter and would swap to the replacement starter.
Its a Hitachi style starter so pretty common.
My experience now days is that parts stores don't stock much and have to order larger parts in. Maybe that's just a Canadian thing.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Just a quick update.
Jeep is off the road for the summer so its getting some finishing touches like nicer seats and the gears.
Not back on the road till Oct for the winter.
I have been building adapters to try and keep up with orders but as a spare time job I have slipped behind at times. Just did a run of 6 of each model, Jeep, Ranger, Chevy and my first V6/V8 Dodge which should get me some stock on the shelves for a change.
Bought an older Ram 3500 so all my time has been going into it.:)

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to hear business is well, I can't wait for my adapter! Did you ever get your gears swapped?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
WOW!
That sort of sums up the driveability after we got the gears changed to the 4:11's.
I don't have the speedo gear changed so no real idea what sort of RPM its turning in the highway but it sure goes.
We can now actually use 5th gear and no more stalling when taking off.
Once I get a speedo gear I'll post some more info but I would say if your doing a TDI swap you want at least 3:55 but preferably 4:11 gears with 31" tires.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Good to know. I am hoping the 3.55s in my Dakota will be enough. Im probably not to much more heavy than your Jeep.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Had it out on the highway today. With the new gears the RPM is 2400 @ 70 MPH which is pretty good and lots of passing power.
Most of our highways are 90km/hr-55mph so RPM is under 2,000 most of the time.
No more stalling at stop signs and much less black smoke when shifting.
Definitely worth the cost to do the gears.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Had it out on the highway today. With the new gears the RPM is 2400 @ 70 MPH which is pretty good and lots of passing power.
Good to read this. Think my 86 Jeep Comanche factory diesel has 4.10 gears stock. Got the AX15 transmission and TDI engine. Just finalizing the adapter order with you.

Ranch

TDI
ALH
Good to hear! I've been frettin' over what to do on my Toyo, with it's 4.10's. From what I can gather, I can go with similar tire as you, (31X10.5) w/o lifiting the body, or suspension. That should get me what I want, (2260 rpm @ 60mph) I put in an actual 31 tall tire, I should've put in probably 30.5 'actual', as they tend to run shy of printed size.. so add another 50 rpm?? LOL

Mine has the IFS front, and didn't want to go SAS just to get lower gears. I just found the online calculator, and confirmed what you are seeing for revs. http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.php
Right now, my lil gas 22re is buzzing @ 60 mph ~3000 rpm. (28 inch tire) i
My 5th gear is .85:1 I believe your AX15 is .79:1
Side note, I see most guys are running cross-flow IC's... and a LOT of plumbing to get the air back to the intake.... why isn't there more 'same side' (inlet and outlet) used in these swaps? fitment? not enough capacity?

Last edited: