Mr2 tdi

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Thanks ATR,

Nicklockard, I would like to do that, I understand that its a much better ways of making the best of the engine. I will get round to this but for cost reasons I won't do it for while.

I still haven't brimmed it for a proper calculated MPG yet, but this was the figure on the dash when I arrived home from work today. A 45 mile journey, the majority of which is motorway, but 1/3 of it is A roads, with some ques! (there was a bit of lorry chasing on the motorway mind :) )

More to come.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Well I've done well over 500 miles in Mr Two now and I'm falling in love with it. It really is exactly right! Fast, economical, loads of fun, and really quite tolerable on a long run. I love it (did I mention that).

I can now confidently say that I have accurately measured the MPG and compared it to the read out on the dial. Unfortunately the dials are a little optimistic, by 10% in fact. I was a little disappointed, however a 10% error means it was still able to do 80mpg on a long run behind a lorry. Still impressive I feel. The average for that tank of fuel was 70mpg, that's mostly motorway driving (slowly) but perhaps 1/3 of it was A roads. I've since tried driving it like a tool to see if the 10% error still stands in the region of 50mpg. I'll fill the car up again soon to test this.

The gauge suggests that the car can do 63mpg at a steady 70mph and this drops to 54mpg at 80mph (as I said I'll confirm these figures soon), this really makes me want to fit the 6 speed box. I don't know for sure if it'll bolt up to this engine and whether or not I would need new driveshafts again.

I think I can fairly safely confirm that its not as good as I previously suggested on MPG, but is certainly no worse a golf TDI.

Anyway, thats enough about MPG, at 30 to 35p/l fuel is cheap therefore motoring is very cheap! :)

In other news, I've now fitted a very lame stereo, soon to fit some speakers, nothing fancy, just normal stuff. I've messed about with and shortened the little gear lever on top of the gearbox (this has made a very small difference, it still needs a little adjustment) and I've cleaned up and "stone chipped" the rear arches and underside of the car. I feel happy that its weatherproof now :)

I can't get my head round how solid this car is underneath :)

To sum up, its friggin brilliant!! and I love it! :) :) oh and the front brake is binding a bit :(

More to come

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Are these Imperial mpg?

If so, then it means 52.5 US mpg or 4.48l/100km at 70 mpg. Very nice!

Now, please build me one :D

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
yeah UK ones :) 4.546L

Thanks I'm not done building mine yet, let alone the next one :)

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I've not written an update for a while and I've done a few bits over the weeks.

I've been driving in a much more normal way now (not lorry chasing). Like fury early on Sunday mornings :) and at least matching motorway traffic speeds on my long daily commute. The average figure over a few thousand miles has been 54.2mpg. I guess I was hoping for a little more but that has included a lot of of revving and "pressing on" so not too bad.

I've got a list of very small niggles that I've been working through and have recently tackled the one I considered to be the trickiest. The heater light was flashing on the dash board which suggests a the brake pedal switch problem and would not allow the cruise control to work. After much forum reading and head scratching I've finally stopped it and cleared the fault by connecting the MR2 brake lights through the TDI pedal switch. This means when the pedal is not pushed the ECU detects earth via the brake light bulbs and is now happy.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
This means THE CRUISE CONTROL WORKS :) Very pleased :) I've yet to mount the switch properly but the tricky bit is done :)

I've fitted some speakers and a crappy radio for now, so it's been nice having the radio for the daily commute.

I've mounted some mini push switches for the MFA to work, it turns out it's still over estimating the MPG by 10% but all the other function are great.

I've had a play with the "tuning box" and found it's a 2K resistor (which expains why it didn't do much), this is way to much! so I've been messing about with a 69p 1k variable resistor and it seems to work all the way down to 500 ohms. It transforms the performance, in fact I would go as far as to say it makes the 110hp engine in the MR2 at least match the performance of the Fabia VRS which was my target for this car. I'd still like to drag race it and find out the difference with and without the resistor and it would be very interesting to get it on a rolling road and find out the numbers too.

I've "adjusted" the leverage ratio of the throttle pedal to accommodate the TDI throttle pot more suitably. The pedal required quite a bit of force to push and had very little travel. It's funny how much this has transformed the driving experience, I'm very pleased I pursued it and will be trying various things to improve the gear shift next :)

I've now driven the car several thousand miles and I'm still besotted with it! Its a joy to drive. With current fuel prices at around 1.10p locally and my fuel being 28.5p, the car is doing a cost equivalent of 209mpg. Can't complain really :) :)

More to come

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
m1ketdi, thanks very much for the two links you posted in your reply. I read through those pages several times. I tried looking for the pin numbers they talked about but it seems my loom from the Seat Toledo and my ECU from the Octavia (which worked fine together) was different to the Golf Mk4 that was being used in the threads you posted.

The thing that remains the same every time someone has solved this problem is that Brake light bulb wiring.

It was relatively easy to keep all the wires between the brake pedal switch, the clutch pedal switch and the ECU, but this leaves you missing just one wire. Everyone who does the conversion does the same thing I did and cut out the wiring from the rest of the car. So...

All the cruise control cancelling wires are in place, the power for the brake lights goes to the switch and the 12V feed for the brake light bulbs even goes to the ECU. The signal that ECU does not see if the connection to earth via the brake light bulbs when the pedal is not pushed. This would in effect mean that the all the brake light bulbs have blown.

My first thought was to ground this wire to earth that would give the same result as far the ECU is concerned, but would short the 12v feed when the pedal is pushed. So The only option was to ditch the MR2 brake light switch and use the newly mounted TDI brake light switch.

Anyway. This isn't too bad a job. I guess what I would add is that even if different engine donors use different ECU pin configurations you can just trace them with a multi meter. Basically just connect the brake light bulbs and all should be well.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
After a frustrating morning (set about fixing the missus brakes only to find the locking wheel nut key was missing), I went and fetched Mr Two and had a go at improving the gear shift. On the way back in the MR2 something went wrong for the first time :( One of the gear change cables broke (at my weld). So I repaired and reinforced that then set about improving the gear shift feel.

I've just moved the point at which the gear change cable attached to the gear stick, and it has improved the feel infinitely, I had sort of resigned myself to the fact it would not be a particularly nice shift feel as it was a 'mish-mash' of two different OEMs parts and as the gearbox lever had a big counter-weight mounted on it (that's now gone). But it's lovely, sideways movement is ok, still a little tricky to find 1st and 2nd for a new driver, but forwards and backwards movement is fantastic! A really nice click into gear!

It seems to take a long time cranking over before starting when the engine is up to temperature, from reading about a bit it seems others have had similar problems on the 110hp engines. I had thought that this might be something to do with the EGR and intake throttle solenoids being disconnected (it shows a fault in VAGCom). I connected them up again and they are now sat on the passenger seat clicking away :) I cleared the fault codes and warmed the car up with a spirited drive. I've only started it hot a few times, but 'fingers crossed' I think it is starting normally now. I might get a couple of resistors to replace the redundant solenoids and keep the ECU happy.

More to come

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I might get a couple of resistors to replace the redundant solenoids and keep the ECU happy.

More to come
You could always get the ECU tuned to support the mods you have as well. Might also be able to get some more power out of it and at the same time improve mpg's :D

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I could, but to be honest I'm really happy with the extra power that 500ohms gets me :)

It's cost that's holding me back, I'm a terrible cheap-skate :)

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
You could always get the ECU tuned to support the mods you have as well. Might also be able to get some more power out of it and at the same time improve mpg's :D
If somebody pulled his finger out then something like the above might be done :eek::rolleyes: - I will get on it when I'm back from Devon mate...

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Mike,

I'm really quite pleased with the 500 ohm resistor. Don't worry about messing with that other ECU, I wonder if it might be lots of work for only a small gain over the resistor bodge. The current ECU is now happy too, no flashing light, only one fault code (ABS, what ABS??).

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
After spending several hours fixing the bio machine I finally got round to making some more adjustments to Mr Two. This one is to make the car a little more "get in and drive" when someone else uses it, rather than spending 10 minutes explaining the little nuances of the car.

I wanted the gearshift to work a little like the BMW I used to own. Push left for 1st and 2nd, push hard left for reverse. As it is, it can be difficult to decern between 1st and reverse. So I made this.

And welded it on to the base plate by the gear lever (note that when the gear lever is moved left or right, the lever in the left of the photo moves forwards and backwards).

Then finally got round to reducing the diameter of the Toledo gear stick top, and gluing it into the MR2 gear nob.

The finally test was to lend the car to the missus and see if she could find all the gears with no issues, and...... she can :) Although "it is a bit hard to get reverse"..... I can't b****y win!!! :)

More to come

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Hi folks its been a while, I've done about 12000 miles in Mr Two now and its going very well. I have recently done a few little jobs to try and get it up to scratch.

Firstly I've painted up and cut the holes in spare MR2 dash that someone kindly gave me :) That's now fitted and doesn't have a huge crack across it :)

The sump plug seemed pretty loose last time I changed this oil, so this time I took it off and tapped an M15 thread in there and fitted an oversize plug. I cleaned it out too although I was very pleased to see how clean it was.

It seems to be smoking a little when cold, all clear after a mile or less but idling from fresh cold there is a fair bit of blue smoke. In addition the VNT seems to be getting pretty clogged and producing over-boost limp mode (nearly all the time recently). I took the Turbo off and cleaned it up. I attacked the VNT with oven cleaner then a little time in the ultrasonic cleaner at work, its now totally free. I replace the turbo cartridge with a new one and checked the oil supply.
I also replaced the heaters for cold starting and took the injector nozzles off and ultrasonically cleaned them too.

Finally got it all back together yesterday which was nice as my crappy 106 has given up and the Scimitar still waits patiently for Pre MOT prep in a few months.

Has it cured it.....

It seems not. I just went out to cold start it again and its still smoking away. Oh well, its got lots of new bits and works.

More to come.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
Nice work!

What do you do for the axles? I see a big difference in the diameters.

Any documentation on the axles would be sweet :)

Greg

Yey! I got more done today :) :) :)

Got the MR2 motor out. I've said it before and will no doubt say it many more times... I love working on Toyotas.

Another bit of good news is that I found the TDI engine is 3 inches shorter than the MR2 engine so there's plenty of room :)

Having had a good look at the two, I think I've now got a design in my head for how to make the toyota engine mounts fit the TDI engine.

More to come.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Have a look on page 5 and 6. I cut all four roughly in half, then attached the VW gearbox halfs and the Toyota wheel halfs, then marked them up and cut them a little shorter so they would meet. Them welded them together, removed them and sent them off to a company called CPS Drivelink up in Gateshead way who used my parts as a pattern to make a proper driveshafts from. Well I think they reused the CV joints, cleaned them up and fitted new rubber then friction welded a new length of shaft to the two CV joint ends. You can see the new parts on page 6 of the thread.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Hi everybody.

I’ve done 55000 trouble free miles in the car now. And it seems the time has come for another project. I would like to go electric next, short range but serious acceleration for a nice little commute to work car. The MR2 is an ideal candidate......

However to start this project on my MR2 would mean undoing all of the work I have done turning into this quite unique Toyota/VAG MR2 TDI. As much as I’d love to keep it and add it to the museum of my projects I don’t have the room of time to keep another car. So my options are sell it or convert it to electric.

I’m writing on here to see if there is anyone interested in buying my White MR2 TDI. It will come with a fresh MOT, a full service including cambelt and water pump (stuff I won’t be doing if it is to become electric) and the knowledge that it’s done 55000 reliable miles in its current form.

It is a very well sorted car, I have relied on it as my only insured car for a few years, it’s been very reliable, fun and easy to live with much like an OEM car (Toyota should have made one). I should probably mention at this point that the smoke issue (in my last post) was due to my home made fuel. Anyone interested in the car will be able to see that it doesn’t smoke at all on pump diesel.

Rot free examples of these car’s are beginning to go up in value and the bodywork is in excellent, rust free condition! It’s a good example of early mk2, with a solid VAG TDI engine, it will be fully serviced, ready to be driven or tuned. It has featured in Practical Performance Car magazine and will come with a copy of that issue. I am looking for offers in the region of £3000. I am in a position to wait and see, and will simply start the electric conversion next year if there is no interest. If you are interested you’re welcome to come and view the car, we can go for a drive as it’s insured and taxed for another month or so. If someone wants to secure the car, I will need a non refundable deposit to cover the expense of the service work that I will carry out.

At this point I’m just looking to see if there is any interest. Thanks folks :)

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
You should post in the FS section, also on Brick Yard in the UK. If I was in the UK and had space, I'd love to get your car. I think you'll do better selling it whole/running and starting off your new project with a new shell.

Good luck!
Mark

ADubEleven

TDI
2003 Golf
I am a die hard fan of the TDI and the MR2 and this would be an absolute dream of mine to own (I found this Googling a TDI swap in an MR2). It's really too bad you're not stateside. Really great work!

Last edited:

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Thanks folks, I'm hoping to have some good pics ready this week and the car all prepared so I'll get a post up in the for sale section.