Mr2 tdi

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Thanks again guys :)

Linkage, are we talking about the TDI gear mechanism. The bit attached the gearbox, or the cables, or both???

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yes, the bit attached to the top of the gearbox, the cables, and shifter. It was all markedly improved for 2000. You can get the parts from any model with that type of transmission, gas or diesel.

-J

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Yes, the bit attached to the top of the gearbox, the cables, and shifter. It was all markedly improved for 2000.

-J
I second this.
My early 2000 had the 99 style and I didn't know what I was missing until I got the 6 speed that had the "2000+" style linkage.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Woah! Close call man!
Great to hear all's okay...

I'm in for more updates :D

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Duely noted and I thank you very much. I will for now put it on the list of things to do in continuation of my hobby when the car is on the road. Its all easily accessed on this.

There are a number of things I'm leaving for now as I really need to start being more careful with money and can always do this at a later date. In fact, I quite fancy the whole 6 speed box at a later date to get that extra long 6th gear, it really drops the revs a lot! so I guess I'll get the linkage with that.

Had a good solid day on it yesterday. I was really picking the pace up towards the end of the day as I seem to be approaching the next milestone.... Starting the engine in the car. (not quite there yet mind)

I've got the wires from the engine bay through the bulkhead.

And all of the carpet and trim back in, just the box lids left to attach (well in the back anyway).

The ECU now sits in the cubby hole behind the passenger.

And I've started extending the remaining wires to meet up with the dials in the front.

Jobs left to do before I can start it in the car, are:

Finish extending those wires
Mount the fuel filter and connect up the lines
Put some Bio in the tank

It might go then :) But could still do with:

Air filter, MAF sensor, and boost plumbing finishing
Exhaust connecting up
Coolant hoses connecting up and bleeding.

Exciting!!!!

More to come

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I got the last of the wires connected up and just had to give it a go :)

There are a number of sensors missing, no exhaust, lots of air in the fuel lines and a flat battery, but it soon came to life :)

Two milestones left, Moving under its own power and the MOT :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq8LjXg2SEs

More to come

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)

Yeah there is a plan. If I take the linkage fowards off the gearbox everything is backwards. So I'll use both sets of cables, one will remain in the car attached to the gear stick, the other will remain on the engine attached to the gearbox (and will come off backwards like it did in the Toledo). I'll simply loop the toledo linkage over the engine and connect the cables to the MR2 gear cables.

Hey presto everything works as it should :)

Remains to be seem how nice the gear change will feel but it can be modified if necessary.

redphoenix

TDI
2002 TDI Golf
Congrats on the first start! Also, dont you love SLR video auto focus (all the clicking in the video, lol).

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)

Yeah I should have switched it to manual focus really.

K1Cowboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Audi S4 AFN TDI
I'm interested to see how that hollowed out fuel pump does for you. I'm running a straight hose where the pump was now. I saw that you did the pump hollow out and I was inspired to do the same. I have the modified pump sitting on the shelf but I'm concerned that it's so big and empty that it can starve for fuel, suck air, or drain back after shutdown when the tank gets low.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I've thought about that since, and just adding a pipe would have been fine, I ruined a good pump, but then it would have only ended up with all the other scrap parts so who cares :)

I did make a mistake and have to take the tank off again, the little gauze on the bottom of the pump might eventually block up a bit as I'm putting home made fuel in, so I took the tank off again and put some holes in it. If you're planning on using pump fuel it should be fine.

For the fuel to drain back you have to allow air into the line/pump, as long as the inlet stays below the fuel level you can't get air in.

Put a glass in a bowl of water, turn it upside down and lift it most of the way out, it will remain full of water until you lift it above the water line.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I've been so busy, I've pretty much had two weeks with no garage time :(

But yesterday I got a little done.

I finally made up the drive shafts, that should hold :)

Only kidding, I've sent those off to be made properly, and I'm hoping I should get them back in 3 weeks.

Then I faffed on for quite a while with the Boost plumbing, there are quite a few things that the pipe work has to go around, so its taking a while to get it right. Its go to weave its way between the engine mount, inner wing and the crank and alternator pulley, ensuring that it doesn't touch the drive shaft and suspension bits and has a little room to expand when the pressure increases inside.

Still a work in progress, but getting there.

More to come

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
did you ballance the drive shafts that you made? It looks like the one that runs across the motor is going to wabble.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
He just did that for length.
He is sending them out to have proper ones made.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
That's right, I'm hoping to get the newly made shafts in the next couple of weeks.

I've made some more progress although this post is a little modest in the number of photographs. Sorry about that. I'll try and get back to old habits next time I'm in the garage.

Anyway, I've finally tackled the boost hoses, the outlet from the turbo, makes its way over the drive shaft, past the crank pulley between the alternator pulley and the inner wing and gets to the bottom of the intercooler, then the top hose is much simpler as can be seen here:

I've more or less got the main radiator hoses sorted (in my head anyway) so I should be able to get those fitted soon, and I've made a good start at altering the MR2 turbo exhaust silencer to meet the turbo outlet pipe. I'm hoping to get those two things finished over the next week.

More to come.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
A little update. The exhaust is finished, i'm quite chuffed with how light it is now that its based on the turbo system.

The new drive shafts have arrived and are now fitted:

I had a very frustrating day on the car though, lots of time wasted trying to sort proof of the emgine change, and one of the CV joints arrived in bits!!! very frustrating.

More to come

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
The fact that the exhaust looks a lot like an air cooled VW exhaust makes me quite happy.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Had a whole day on it today. I managed to get all the drive shaft and suspension bolts torqued up, although the bl***y TCA bolt took an hour to locate in the hole :(

I took the EGR blank off and cleaned it up. It is much more visible than I thought it was going to be, so I've ground it back a tad.

Got all the bits of pipe and joiner sections together and connected up the main coolant hoses to the radiator (still got to connect up the heater hoses and mount the tank).

Got the last under-tray mounted (although mainly with cable ties).

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
And finally had a scratch around with the wire brush and applied a good coating of stone chip under the arches.

Just the brakes and clutch to bleed and it can go back on its wheels with all the remaining jobs to be done from above :) :)

More to come :)

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Very cool.
If you had asked I wold have cut you a block off on my plasma cam and posted it to you.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The small coolant line coming off the head is used to get rid of air bubbles in the factory setup. I assume you're going to hook up something similar?

-J

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Dremd, That is tooooooo Cooool. You were referring to the EGR blank I guess.

That looks like an awesome machine, and I too am impressed with the "MR2 TDI" TOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOL

Compu 85, I'll be sticking with the air bleed line, and using the expansion tank from the TDI. I'm fitting a couple of extra manual bleed point in the heater hoses too.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Dremd, That is tooooooo Cooool. You were referring to the EGR blank I guess.

That looks like an awesome machine, and I too am impressed with the "MR2 TDI" TOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOL
Much appreciated.
It's a fantastic machine to have.

Yes, I was offering an EGR block off.
I can still make you a mug weld cover if you want.