Mr2 tdi

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
If it was me, I'd try to find a cheap differtial temp controller for the inter cooler fan.

That egr wasn't terrible, I wouldn't have even bothered pulling it (unless the whine was already out like you), I've seen plenty that had about 1 cm of space remaining, and shockingly the improvement when cleaned wasn't all that huge.

Again super cool project I wish I was on your side of the pond to see it.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I made a bit more progress last night.

Lots of grinding away at the old MR2 dials, trying to get the TDI dials to fit inside. On paper that sounds like very little progress, but.. I did spend a while looking at it and figuring out how it was all going to come together. I'm pretty sure I know how to finish the interior side of things now. The dials are officially in (although the dead space either side of the TDI dials still needs painting black). I'm going to have a number of switches on a panel in the spare space above the radio (its double height), including the MFA, cruise control and perhaps a switch for the little power booster thingy (resistor).

Very pleased with progress I was too.

Forgive the dust all over the clear plastic, I haven't cleaned anything after grinding yet:

More to come

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Thanks Dremd, Not a bad plan with the intercooler fan. I'm kind of ignoring the engine bay at the moment as the interior is finally progressing. I think I might need a different intercooler too as it fits really badly.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Dremd, Not a bad plan with the intercooler fan. I'm kind of ignoring the engine bay at the moment as the interior is finally progressing. I think I might need a different intercooler too as it fits really badly.
I'm sure you have looked at Ebay :) Lots of Intercooler goodness there.

Thought: a stock or upgraded MR2 Intercooler. I can't remember what they look like, but they fit.

Another thought Water -> air intercooler and put the heat exchanger up front.

Cluster looks good.
If you can come up with a Vector of the surround I can CNC plasma you one out of just about anything that conducts electricity for free just to help out a very cool project.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
you will need a bead welded to the intake where you cut the neck off, otherwise it will probably be a source for a boost leak. Awesome project, I love MR2s!

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Right then! A much needed update.

I've got the dials looking how I want them to now, and they're fully wired in, and fully working :) But as I was putting them in for the last time I cracked the Clear plastic (the toyota bit). I'm a little gutted but this can be easily replaced at some point when I have more money to spend. (you can't see it very well in the photo but the crack goes from the top down through the speedo)

The illumination adjuster now serves no purpose so I've blanked it off.

I've reached a point where I really need to get the engine in before any other work can progress. So I cleaned up the garage and lined the engines up to get an idea where the TDI will need to sit in the engine bay.

Then set about making the first engine mount.

I got these bars to the same length and flattened the ends on the lathe:

Drilled them out on the lathe:

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
These will mean I can use the same three bolt holes that VW intended:

Cut a plate to shape:

And welded on the engine mount:

This is ready for a trial fit on Sunday (I'm very excited), if all goes well I'll start looking at the gearbox mount and add some bracing to this mount.

It is with regret that I'm altering the budget of this project, I'm now having to reduce costs as much as possible. This mainly means it'll be on the rather nasty 14" wheels for a bit (the gearing will be 5% down, i.e. more revs for the same speed) and the engine tuning will be in the form of decat, decoke and fit the +35hp "chip" (resistor). it should still match the brothers fabia VRS though :)

More to come

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
The MR2 doesn't have AC or PAS, one of the reasons I chose and early car really. Just to make connecting it all up a bit easier.

scoobysmak

TDI
N/A
I have not posted in a long time, more of a lurker than anything but I logged in to say, that is a dream I would love to have a second gen MR2 with a TDI.

I will have to live through your build until I finally get the nerve to do a TDI swap myself, doubt it will be an MR2 since I really need a small truck but love the swap. As someone mentioned before, wish I could see it in person.

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Depending on how you are with electronics and programming/willingness to learn the ECU stuff there is a handy thread on the PowerEnhancements section on ecu mapping.

Either using the same ecu and socketting it, or getting a 2nd and doing the same maybe looking at £40-70 to tune it yourself.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Cool!!! I might well have a look into that. I'm leaving a few jobs until its MOT'd so can get to work on the car without having to go to my parents. That would certainly be something I'd like to look into.

Thanks for your comments folks, a long overdue update is one its way (maybe sunday night). I left the camera last time I was working on it. (the engine now rest fully in on the MR2 mounts :) :) )

More to come

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Considering the significance of getting the engine mounts done, this is pretty lame update as I forgot to photograph the engine finally sitting in the car with no crane assistance.

Anyway, the engine mounts are now all finished and painted and while I have the stone-chip gun going, i took the opportunity to spray a few little places low down in the engine bay that looked as though they would appreciate some rust prevention.

Still need to drop the tank one more time and remove the gauze, sort the clutch hose while access is easy then pop it in for the last time :) :) :)

More to come.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
The engine is in, hopefully for the last time. All the mounts are firmly fitted.

I did find a problem though. I had made the gearbox mount with the clutch slave not attached and guess what, it didn't fit. But after some adjustment all is well.

This is the third mount that stops the engine rotation, I'm a little concerned that the rubber bush is a bit rigid and might transmit a too much diesel vibration into the car, time will tell!

The clutch hose is all plumbed in, I'm really please with how easy this was (perhaps that temping fate as I've not bled it yet :) )

And a couple of shots of the engine in its new home:

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)

One of the things that was bugging me was how to mount the intercooler. Well that's sorted now :) :)

These are the bits that need holding together (the black plate with the big hole mounts to the car body).

It turns out they fit together quite nicely. Two of the fan mounts line up perfectly with two notches on the intercooler, holding it in place, its like it was meant to happen :)

So I've attached a strap and a bolt to tighten it against.

And painted it.

That's all for now. There are some reducers on the way so I can connect up the boost piping, then I'll put it in place and start the more plumbing or wiring.

Was a good weekend, I felt like I've made some good progress :)

More to come

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
looking good, keep up the good work

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
This weekend I exploded a tractor battery in my face and spent hours in A&E having bits of plastic pulled out out my eye and checking for acid damage! Now I have 11 drops a day :( :( and I owe the parents £130 for a new tractor battery!!!

Brilliant!!!!

Luckily my vision is clearing up, a lucky escape!!

More to come

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm Super glad that your still with us an can see.

I had forgotten that your not American, but was reminded when you complained about the 130 battery not the $5000 ER bill.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
What happened to cause the battery to explode? Over/under charge? Hooked up with polarity reversed?

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Thanks :) Its a bit blurry but its coming back (only the right eye was hit).

Umm..... I was being a complete idiot, it didn't seemt o want to turn the tractor engine over (turns out it was a dirty terminal) so I checked how lively it was with a spanner. It made a good spark!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
ahhh the hindenburg experiment ;)... yes hydrogen is still highly explosive over eighty years later :p.... i know the feeling of raw battery acid meets eyeball ... vision was blurry in my left eye for a couple of days ... eyes heal incredibly fast and glad your able to finish this awesome project !

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't feel bad, I did the same with a MASSIVE 6 volt once. Wrench welded itself between the terminals, I could not kick/ knock it off to save my life. Then it started glowing red at the center, the glowing spread to the ends, then the glowing changed to white an spread. Just as the entire wrench became white hot it exploded and no trace larger and a BB could be found. The battery survived to serve for quite a while longer.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Bl***y hell! I bet that was scary!!!
I was 14 and stupid. It was much more "check that out".

I'd be scared ****less having to have bits pulled from my eye.

Again, glad you are still with us.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I just noticed you're using the linkage from a 99.... you'd be well served to update that to a 2000+ as the 99 linkage sucks and has tons of play.

Hopefully your acid bath turns out to have no lasting damage :eek:

-J