Mr2 tdi

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Hi folks, I'm new to TDI's but not to projects. I'll be posting progress on a few forums and thought this would be a great one to join. Both in terms of getting help with my project and hopefully entertaining a few of you with my random project.

Let me explain this strange idea. This summer I have been building a biodiesel plant and am now making fuel at somewhere between 25-28p per liter. I've also taken a new job which is miles away. Joining the dots you can see that I have no choice but to drive a diesel of some kind. After looking at the option, I've found there are some interesting (fast) diesels about. But I could do with an older distributor pump type (90s) to run on "rough" (not 100%) biodiesel.

So this a diesel engine wrapped in a nice car. That's how I'm thinking of it anyway. eventually, I'll tune to near 180hp and it will have plenty of low grunt for boring (or not so boring) commuter type driving.

So here is it:

The first thing I did was have all the rust and dents sorted (I'm not good with rust repairs). This is it after picking up from the bodyshop. (it still needs a polish)).

I've been looking for an engine for months (cheap and lowish miles) and finally found this last week.

I'm really happy with my purchase and think I've got it a at a reasonable price. It's a 1999 seat toledo with a 110hp AHF engine. soon to run out of MOT and Tax but still legal long enough to get it home. It has 89k on the clock and cost £450.

I've not had long on it due to starting a new job that entails rather a lot of commuting, but here is the progress so far. I've just been stripping the loom, and labelling.

I think its one of the very last distributor pump type TDI engine from VAG and can be tuned plenty :)

I want to get it running on the garage floor, then carefully strip away all the parts I don't new leaving the engine loom and instrument cluster, and hopefully adding a cruise control stalk for good measure.

I plan to:
Bin the dual mass flywheel in favour of the G60 solid flywheel and VR6 clutch (can take 300ft.lb)
port the head and regrind the valves for good measure
fit a new water pump and cambelt kit
fit a "tuning box" for 140 + hp

then later when all the problems are ironed out
Fit a PD130 turbo and manifold and larger injectors and a larger intercooler to get it closer to 180hp

I can't wait, its great to get started on a new project.

More to come if you want it?????

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Suggestion: Use the G60 flywheel, VR6 pressure plate, and TDI (eg from a B4 / 35i) friction disk. Using a VR6 friction disk will make the gearbox rattle a ton at idle.

-J

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
compu_85 Thank you very much for the info, that's very helpful :)

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Got some more done last night, nothing major to report other than I set the small target that I set myself and removed the last of the loom from the interior (not yet the engine bay though).

It just needs feeding through the bulkhead when the engine side is disconnected.

I didn't really show a very good pic of the engine before so here it is:

Sorry for the crappo pics, I won't use my phone next time.

Work starts on the engine loom at the weekend.

More to come

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I got some more done this weekend, between jobs on the 106 :(

I've finally got all the loom out and labelled everything up. I've got a nasty feeling there is no speed sensor on the gearbox at all, I imagine it must use one of more of the ABS sensors :( thats a bummer as I've cut them all off.

Anyway, progress so far.

The loom is now completely free from the car and all the bits I need (minus the ABS sensors) are in tact.

The engine is nearly free and ready to come out:

More to come

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Nice project. Suggest you avoid tuning boxes and opt for chip tune instead.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Oooooo, valve guides ay, are they a bit of a weak spot on these??

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I shall be sure to have a good look at the "slop" and will pop some new guides in if they're turd :)

I'm really wrestling with time at the moment, the new job requires 7 more hours a week than my last job and its an hour away where the last job was 11mins. That and making bio has meant a huge reduction in car time :(

I'm working on it though (getting more time and the car)

The engine is finally out :) :) :)

There are a few more bits to harvest from the toledo then its off to the scrap yard in the sky:

There is a nice DOC to sell under there somewhere. There diesel in the tank to extract and some sections of exhaust might come in useful too.

I'm still undecided on which direction to go now. Strip the loom, learn more about the MR2 loom, or just get stuck in stripping and tuning the TDI motor first???

Well I've got to stop the scimitar exhaust tapping on the floor of the car first and fit new track rod ends to the pug. But hopefully in the not too distant future I can get a solid 8 hours on this.

Some questions for you clever people if you'd be so kind:

The sensor on the diff casing is the speed sensor right? so that serves the speedometer and presumably the cruise control should I fit the stalk?

Is the black box with 3 fairly chunky connectors going into it the immobilisers?

Does the AHF limit torque in 1st and 2nd gears?

Is the chunky looking switch on the gear linkage mechanism on top of the box, just the reverse light switch? or does this have something to do with torque limiting?

Is the sensor on the boost pipe by the fuel lines the boost pressure sensor?

Is this the sensor that I should change to a 3 bar version if going for a PD130/PD150 turbo and manifold??

Thanks in advance to anyone answering my questions :)

More to come

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I spent most of this morning pulling the last few bits off the toledo, the first length of exhaust pipe, the gear linkage and a few nuts and bolts. I put the bumper back on, and the bonnet. Drained the tank and put it in the daily driver.

Then out came the Scimitar and in went the MR2. I've taken a few bits off it and had a good look over it. I think I'm going to do something like what I did with the Toledo. Label everything up as I disconnect it, take the engine and box out, then open up the loom and check there is nothing in that stretch of loom that I need.

So this is where I'm at at the moment. It still doesn't look like much progress, but I really have run out of other things to do now :)

This might sound strange, but I really like working on Toyotas, this is the fourth Toyota I've worked on and they just seem to be so well put together. Everything is in a sensible place, well made with dimple topped captive washer bolts, and all rather well thought out.

More to come.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
love the project, should be a fun setup

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Yey! I got more done today :) :) :)

Got the MR2 motor out. I've said it before and will no doubt say it many more times... I love working on Toyotas.

Another bit of good news is that I found the TDI engine is 3 inches shorter than the MR2 engine so there's plenty of room :)

Having had a good look at the two, I think I've now got a design in my head for how to make the toyota engine mounts fit the TDI engine.

More to come.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I took a day off today and was in the garage all day :) It was like old times, a pig in s*** :) :) :)

I made another 150L of bio diesel. I stripped the Toyota engine loom in an attempt to understanding it and see if I could get the engine bay fan to work in the absence of the engine (I couldn't). So the engine loom now consists of just the reverse light wiring :)

Then stripped the loom to the dials and have identified what I need to make the following warning lights work: main beam, fog lights, handbrake, doors open, and indicators. Then took it to pieces and was delighted to find that the VAG dials will fit in the gap where the Toyota dials used to reside. Result!

As well as that, I've done my usual looking at it for ages and figuring things out, got lots of ideas in my head now. What a great day! :)

More to come

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
A little update on my (lack of) progress :)

I've not done a huge amount as the clutch on my cr**y 106 diesel failed in a way that meant it wouldn't disengage. So I've taken the gearbox off that and am waiting for a new clutch plate to arrive.

Spot the piece of metal where it shouldn't be......

On the plus (but rather expensive side) I'm driving the scimitar 90 miles a day, getting plenty of admiring looks and really enjoying the car (at 5 times the cost!!!).

Back to the MR2, I've been doing a bit of loom thinning, this time its the TDI loom, its about halved so far, I need to go get some of the controls to keep going with the job now.

More to come.

riddleyo

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Awesome project. I used to have several MR2s, they were fun cars! My biggest gripe - working on that cramped engine bay!!!!!! Good luck!!!

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Very cool.
I've never had a Mr 2, but have always liked them and spent a lot of time in Supras.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
It Runs!!!!!!

After several weeks of head scratching, a friend at work gave me a circuit diagram from autodata (thanks Mark), and it seems I had an earth connected up to 12v. I changed that and it ran straight away. See the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6V9oazx_HI&feature=youtu.be

Its very nearly in a position to be electrically connected to Mr Two now, I hope to have that done soon, then I'll get started on the mechanical side and physically putting all the wires in the car.

Very happy with that.

More to come.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Thanks everyone, it was quite a relief to get it to run. It still runs a bit rough until I pull one of the fuses out, then it runs smooth but without the dials working. What fun! I'll hopefully get to the bottom of this at some point.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
just checked out the YouTube video.... I think you need some
New motor mounts!!!!!!!

Great work!!! This is going to be a fun conversion when all buttoned up

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Very awesome. Loved seeing that motor startup as it did. You have a good talent for stuff like this it seems.

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Another small update. The rough running is sorted, and I've been working on the tank.

Got it off the car:

Cut off the toyota float, and fixed the swing arm in place, then attached the TDI tank sender to get the right signal to the dials.

Then had to put it back in in a different orientation so it could still move up and down freely:

Then pulled the impella out of the fuel pump so its now effectively a pipe:

And re-assembled it:

I've got a new cam belt, water pump, oil filter, fuel filter and oil to change, then the MFA/cruise switches to wire in then the loom can finally start going into the car.

In a break from MR2 stuff….
The Scimitar ran out of tax yesterday. As a little treat, I took it up to Rhayada for a late night blast. It was a lot of fun, not another car for miles :) :) :)

Hope you like the photos.

And for the grand finale (this shot took a long time and included an 11 min exposure):

redphoenix

TDI
2002 TDI Golf
This is so awesome to see. I currently have a MK4 TDI and a 94 MR2 (gen 3 swapped). Always curious to see what a TDI MR2 would be like.

Keep up the work!

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
Hello again. I've made quite a bit of progress recently but haven't really had time to post about it. Well here is a bit of an update.

I've changed the cambelt, idlers and water pump (but was disappointed to find they were in really good condition so could have saved a load of money)

I've cut of the bits I don't need leaving just the tensioned and alternator:

Next was to sort out the horrendous throttle and EGR situation. The crank case gas recirculation means that oil makes it into the inlet and the EGR means that soot gets in there too, the combination means an epic building up of black crud (you can see it in the photo below). The already small inlet pipe had 8mm of caked on crap so that was cleaned out. The EGR was welded up (using bird poo, check out that weld) and the throttle and EGR valve was binned. In fact I went further than that and cut the elbow of the manifold completely. (The throttle is only used when the engine is switched off, it creates an inlet manifold vacuum, just like in a petrol car. Less gas in the cylinders means less compression and the engine spins gently to a stop, rather than the abrupt shaking you can get with older diesels. I can live with that for more power.)

Imagine the restriction this was giving:

This is after cutting:

I then cleaned and ported the manifold a little and used the rubber hose straight onto the manifold:

All done:

lozzzzzz

TDI
MR2 (AHF engine)
I've found a 760mm belt to drive just the alternator:

Yesterday I started messing about with the intercooler to see if I could get it to fit against the MR2s side duct. The plan being to use a micro switch under the throttle to switch on the fan and pull air through the intercooler on full throttle.

Its still not perfect really, I'll keep pondering this one.

I tested to see if the throttle pedal feel was ok if I just connected up the MR2 pedal to the TDI variable resistor.

It was great, good pressure needed to push it (it just supports the weight of your foot) and a decent amount of travel (a little less than previously but still plenty for accurate control). So I welded a more permanent version into the under bonnet space.

And the last thing I got done yesterday was to attach the clutch pedal switch on to the MR2 clutch pedal (as I plan to have cruise control).

Sorry for the crap images, I was using my phone again. I'll take a better camera next time.

More to come