gm synchromesh or synchromesh friction modifier for 01 jetta manual

durdy1

TDI
01 red jetta
Going to change out tranny fluid to gm synchromesh. I have been searching and trying to find which version would be better the regular or the friction modifier. Any advice would help. Thanks.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
I recently changed out my manual oil (2004 BEW 5 speed), and did a lot of reading on these threads before deciding which oil to use.

In general, when I go with anything 'after-market', versus OEM, I end up regretting it. There tend to be nuanced, specific reasons why a particular OEM design was used - whenever you stray from that, you might be making a mistake. Not always - but, unless one is a chemical & mechanical engineer, one likely doesn't have enough understanding to confidently use a non-OEM oil.

Long story short - I went with the G060 OEM oil, bought from the dealer - about $13/liter, takes 2.

I have read some good things on these forums about sycromesh - but have also read syncromesh is designed strictly for transmissions, whereas in TDI's the transmissions share the oil with the differential. So, the oil has to serve different needs. What works well for the transmission may muff up the differential, and vice-versa.

Clearly, VW worked this out, and came up with the OEM oils.

Unless your transmission is very high miles, and grinding away (ie - you are in a position of either try syncromesh, or lay out a fortune for a rebuid) I would stick with OEM.

1heavyfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG
I just bought the two bottles of the standard Syncromesh last night and am planning on dropping my G070. Sorry, can't address your question about the friction modifier but here's what I came across in researching and purchase.

- Labeling says for transmissions and differentials.
- My tuner says he's been using this Pennz Syncromesh in his five and six speed trans for over 5 years with no issues.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
#2 x2.
I don't have direct experience with trying GM oil, but I do have first-hand experience with trying some other aftermarket oil (long ago, I think it might have been Castrol) and I had shifting issues. I'd recommend use the OEM VW oil unless you have specific reason not to.

durdy1

TDI
01 red jetta
I have used amsoil in the tranny. And it shifts notchy 1-2. It dosent grind yet. I have 144000 miles on now. Its been notchy for 20, 000. Didn't know if friction modifier would add better protection on they syncros.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I have read some good things on these forums about sycromesh - but have also read syncromesh is designed strictly for transmissions, whereas in TDI's the transmissions share the oil with the differential. So, the oil has to serve different needs. What works well for the transmission may muff up the differential, and vice-versa.
sorry but this is incorrect...pennzoil snycrhomesh is designed for transmissions and transaxles as per pennzoils website... our cars use transaxles....a differential is just another set of gears not unlike the other gears in the transmission.... I've had very good luck with synchromesh where the OEM fluids (g050, g070) did nothing or made the situation worse!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I have used amsoil in the tranny. And it shifts notchy 1-2. It dosent grind yet. I have 144000 miles on now. Its been notchy for 20, 000. Didn't know if friction modifier would add better protection on they syncros.
I've heard this about amsoil trans oil....try the pennzoil product it's the smoothest shifting when compared to any of the OEM fluids or lubrimoly ....I personally have not tried redline but I've heard it's also "notchy"

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'm using the normal Pensoil branded stuff in my 99.5 right now. It helps with the worn 1st syncro :)

-J

durdy1

TDI
01 red jetta
I plan on using they gm synchromesh just from evrything I have read about it. Only found one guy on here using the gm synchro with the friction modifier. Guess if there are not many people using the friction modifier version, then there is probably no need.

AmIdYfReAk

TDI
93 Passat GL w/AHU Swap, 2003 Jetta 17/22/etc.
The friction modifier is for a clutch type LSD diff, something the 02J does not have.

You can run the friction modified oil without an issue, it just costs a bit more than the non-modified variant.

Been running this stuff for gears across a few of my cars with no issues, and awesome shifting the whole time.

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
I run the FM in both my 5spds and couldn't be happier. It made a night/day difference in my 00 vs brand new VW fluid.

While you're dropping the fluid, drill a couple holes in the case from the 5th gear side for better fluid flow. Search for it on the forum and you'll see the reason why...