ALH TDI pinout.

vdubspeed

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 1984 Rabbit GTI-TDI
AndyBees - I'd love to see your notes though!

I've updated the brown connector to reflect the updates.

I'm also about to tear into this Jetta harness and will make notes that show the difference. Three differences between the New Beetle ALH harness and the Golf/Jetta harness I have noticed are:

1. New Beetle MAP/IAT sensor runs in the car harness and has to be spliced back in.
2. G/J harness has small relay box attached. I plan to use this box to house my 109 relay, glow plug relay and coolant relay
3. T14 on the Beetle is right by the ECU. T14 on the G/J is down by the battery.

Thanks for all the input.

Jason

vdubspeed

TDI
Yes I know. That's what I'm saying. On a new beetle you have to unwrap the passenger side harness to get just the MAP wiring out.

On a G/J...no worries.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Been running my EDC swap for a day, pin 88 is not hooked up to anything and everything seems to run just fine, no extra codes or anything.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Hey guys awesome info here.

I'm swapping a 2000 ALH with a 03 auto harness and EDC15 ecu in to a 2003 Jetta wagon GLX.

I'm trying to use the first post in this thread, unfortunately, I don't appear to have a T14a "a few inches from small ecu connector".
I THINK I have 100% determined that the Golf/ jetta doesn't have that connector, however I am assuming that the same functions still exist on the G/J as the new Beatle, so how how do I find those lines on the Golf/ Jetta harness?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
its by the battery

Once I finalize my ALH harness stuff, I'll post it up.
Is it this one?

Edited to Fix pics totally my bad.
I'd like to send out a GIANT thank you to JFettig for a) taking the time to un-jumble my link and b) so quickly clearing that up.

Last edited:

zukikat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
While reviewing JFettig's '03 G/J bentley diagram link in an effort to assist dremd's '03 G/J 1.8T to ALH swap with an '03 ALH ECU/Harness I noticed several things...

JFettig's link shows T14a/7 and T14a/8 in use, which (the O.P.) vdubspeed's '01NB charts/pics/notes does not. I presume this is an '03 change???

JFettig's link also shows T14a/10 color as "sw/gn" versus vdubspeed's '01NB T14a/10 "gn/sw(Small)", and I noticed both the '03G/J and '01NB show T14a/2 is "sw/gn", same color as the '03G/J diagram also shows on T14a/10. Do pins /10 and /2 of T14a share that same wire in '03?

Any thoughts/suggestions on these things would definitely be helpful and appreciated.

vdubspeed

TDI
I could have just reversed the colors zukkiat. I'm not near the harness but I'll check tonight.

My NB/ALH/Auto harness is definitely a little difference then other harnesses.

Nice to hear another pin 88 confirmation.

Thanks again for the continued input.

zukikat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
Some '03 G/J vs '01 NB wiring info updates...

Based on Jfettig's Bentley pic link, dremd and I have determined that for the '03 G/J the T14a/7 is for G22/3 "VSS Ground" which is a part of the Vehicle Speed Sensor circuit and works in conjunction with T14a/2 G22/1 "VSS Power" and T14a/3 G22/2 "VSS Signal" and is therefore necessary for Vehicle Speed Sensor operation in an '03 G/J. How this may or may not apply to earlier Mk4 G/J we do not know...

We've also seen in Jfettig's Bentley pic link that on a '03 G/J T14a/8 is wired on one side of the T14a connection but doesn't seem to go anywhere on the mating T14a plug/socket, although based on that same Bentley pic link this pin IS POWERED on Fuse S229 10A which also connects to ECU T121/37 via T6/1 for purposes presently unknown by the two of us...

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Gem for sure!
This thread makes me want to put an ALH in something else.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've prepared my notes and schematics from working notes, etc., to "as built" plans. I have some things in Excel and some in WordPerfect. Of course, I've never actually prepared a complete schematic as fas connecting the dots. The labeling is such (connectors identified, color, etc.) that it is fairly straight forward and easy to follow.

If everything goes well (time is the issue), I plan to print everything out and place in a ring binder for the trip to the Fest.

In reference to recent comments in various posts, I did notice several instances where color code did not match what was in the Bentley......... brown tape and pen to identify what I did until the end!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've read thru this Thread again (number of times), unless I missed it, no one answered the qustion(s) about the Load Reduction Relay.

As far as I know, all vehicles have that Relay or one that serves the purpose. In the start mode of the ignition switch, the Load Reduction Relay is deactivated cutting off current to practically everything but the Starter and components necessary to start the engine. (Like, head lights, marker lights, brake lights, power outlets, defroster circuit, AC, etc., are without power during engine cranking.)

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know the answer, but I didn't do anything with the load reduction relay in my car and it works fine. That said, I have a new 90ah battery, heavy cables, and it is hot here.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I think you are correct Andy. I'm not running that, just left it disconnected and everything operates the same as it did when I was running MSA15

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, the Load Reduction Relay in the vehicle that you are setting the TDI engine performs that function (load reduction). The LRR from the donor vehicle is not necessary at all!

If you notice, the "hot wires" involved with the LRR are Black & Yellow ....... that's typical of those circuits!

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
200 Golf, 1974 Westfalia TDI
I have found that a load reduction relay is not necessary in my situation. My vehicle has very limited electronics, and the engine still cranks fine with cooling fans and lighting. I could imagine a car loaded with amp drawing electronics making the starter hard to crank without one.
My swap has about 40 miles(and climbing) on it now thanks in part to this thread. :)

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I just wanted to bump this thread, which I consider to be among the best here on tdiclub.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wanted to bump best thread in the subforum

vdubspeed

TDI
Just wanted to bump best thread in the subforum
Okay....The OP is in the house!!!

My TDI swap is running and I'm so damn glad I built this guide because it was incredibly helpful. There are a few changes and I will be posting them soon but for the most part...it's highly accurate and will get you up and running...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtvuDNxZDxk

mcneil

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr, 2001 Jetta TDI, Jeep TDI project
Glow Plug Relay J52 pin 7, 0.35 gn,
On my bentley diagram it looks like it goes to T121/33 not T121/23. Typo?

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota
Excellent thread and diagrams! Thank you
How much of this stuff is going to be different from an alh To a PD motor, my wiring harness is from an 04 pd jetta, and motor from similar year passat> using jetta cluster

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota
i realize that this is an older thread, I have read it a number of times and wondered if this was ever "Stickied" I always have a hard time finding it and thus it is now in my Favorites.

On a side note is there any noticeable differences between an alh wiring schematic and a PD bhw (from a Passat).

I cannot find the thread that talks about these differences.

Thanks again for all the info.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
ALH and BHW will be very different. They are different engines, AND different chassis.