1Z/AHU into 78 Bus

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
If you got a rear mount that was non hydraulic, they are almost identical. I've compared the two rubber ones and I think the only difference are the metal ears of the lower rear mount.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I'm trying to understand which way the water is pumped to the radiator. I'm thinking that the outlet must be at the thermostat cover, right?

Thanks,
Mark

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Coolant flow is out of the cylinder head. Coolant returns to the water pump inlet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks rsxsr, just to clarify, the following pic is the inlet to the engine, right?

I know I'm beating a dead-horse, but I am the guy with his engine mounts backward so I want to be super sure :D

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
The thermostat flange in the picture is the return. The thermostat is dual purpose. When cold the top half of the thermostat controls the engine warm up bypass. Coolant flows out the head into the water pump housing. When the engine warms up, the thermostat closes the bypass and opens the return.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
1Z Turbo inlet question

On the top of the plastic turbo inlet tube is a connection for the PCV, a small port (vacuum?) and an electrical connection.

After dealing with the clogged up manifold and intake ports, I've decided to employ the "elephant hose mod" and connect the PCV to the atmosphere rather than the inlet to the turbo. No more oily vapors!

I'm wondering what the vacuum port and electrical connection at this location are for and whether they effect my elephant hose plans?

Thanks,
Mark

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
The electrical connection is there to "heat" the vapor that was being put back into your turbo inlet pipe.

The vacuum port, I can't seem to remember =(

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Clutch and Brake switches

So I need switches for the clutch and brake...

For the brake, I think I'm going to do something with the existing brake light circuit.

For the clutch I need to figure something out.

Are these switches open when the pedal is at rest and closed when the pedal is pushed down or the opposite?

Thanks,

Mark

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
So I need switches for the clutch and brake...

For the brake, I think I'm going to do something with the existing brake light circuit.

For the clutch I need to figure something out.

Are these switches open when the pedal is at rest and closed when the pedal is pushed down or the opposite?
I did some googling and found the answer:

The switches are normally closed when the pedal is at rest, then open when the pedal is pushed-down.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Pics of the accelerator potentiometer assembly mounted under the floor and connected to the stock bus pedal.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
For those following along.. I'm not using the hanger which would suspend the engine/transmission in the stock 78 bus configuration. This has been removed and I'm only using two large mounts at the rear to hold the engine up.

I had these backwards and they're now correct.

The hydraulic mount is now on the left (rear of the engine)

The non-hydraulic mount is now on the right. (front of the engine). The front mount is actually a non-hydraulic rear-mount. We used this because it can take push and pull and it comes with the metal cup.

Left (rear) mount (hydraulic)

Right (front) mount (non-hydraulic)

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I'm thinking about what to do for an air-filter. Space is an issue and the stock airbox won't fit. I'd like to avoid unnecessary plumbing.

I'm pretty sure I don't want a K&N. From what I read, they don't filter well.

I'm leaning towards getting one of these http://shop.volant.com/PowerCore-Filtration-Technology-61511-61511.htm

They're spendy -- about $80 from a discounter but they promise very good filtration and a long service life. The media is made by Donaldson who are a reputable $4B company. The media is not cleanable.

I'd be hanging this on the end of the MAF. My intake path will be very short.

I know I'll need to add a port (in the rubber portion) for the EGR vent tube.

More info on the Powercore media
http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/059806.pdf

Thoughts?

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Thanks, Jeremy.

The "big" Donaldson is going to need more plumbing and may be hard to fit anyway because it's big.

The AEM filters look like a good alternatives. They're also a bit spendy. I'm thinking if the Volant (Donaldson Powercore based) filter filters better, I should just spring the extra $20 and get that?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Get what fits and is dry, and it seems they both make good filters. Some folks are using the Aem, with an Amsoil Cone filter, that may fit better too. Iniguez made a thread regarding the Aem, I just can't find it based on his name (probably wrong).

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
One issue with the engine mount was that the right side (aka front) hangs on the end of a long ear. We added a reinforcement so that this would not cause the engine bar to tilt forward.

Last edited:

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Get what fits and is dry, and it seems they both make good filters. Some folks are using the Aem, with an Amsoil Cone filter, that may fit better too. Iniguez made a thread regarding the Aem, I just can't find it based on his name (probably wrong).
Thanks!

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Connecting the cooling system and some questions...

1. Can someone tell me where the three ends of this tube route to?

2. Also, the flange coming out of the cylinder head is the input for the heater, right?

3. Also is there a general document on how the cooling system is supposed to route?

Thanks,
Mark

(File photo I borrowed somewhere. My engine is installed :)

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I think I've gotten this partly figured out...

Is this correct: the flange that comes out of the end of the cylinder head goes to the EGR Cooler and then from the EGR cooler goes to the heater core?

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
On the top of the plastic turbo inlet tube is a connection for the PCV, a small port (vacuum?) and an electrical connection.

After dealing with the clogged up manifold and intake ports, I've decided to employ the "elephant hose mod" and connect the PCV to the atmosphere rather than the inlet to the turbo. No more oily vapors!

I'm wondering what the vacuum port and electrical connection at this location are for and whether they effect my elephant hose plans?

Thanks,
Mark
the reason for the intake clogging is NOT the pcv but is instead the egr, delete the egr and the egr cooler, this will eliminate the intake clogging and will almost entirely remove part throttle smoke

venting the ccv to the atmosphere is incredibly polluting and does not solve your problem

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
the reason for the intake clogging is NOT the pcv but is instead the egr, delete the egr and the egr cooler, this will eliminate the intake clogging and will almost entirely remove part throttle smoke

venting the ccv to the atmosphere is incredibly polluting and does not solve your problem
I've read a lot of threads on clogging and I came to the conclusion that it's a combination of EGR and PCV which cause it - i.e. dirty particles + oily vapors. I'm planning on having Malone tune my engine with his dynamic EGR which helps with warm-up (and then shuts off the EGR afterwards) so don't want to delete the EGR.

That said, I appreciate your comments and don't want to pollute if I don't have to.. (I'm keeping my Cat, etc for that reason). I could plumb the PCV into the exhaust or use a catch-can rather than the straight vent. I need to get more details on the former as I'll be getting a custom exhaust welded up and can do that at the same time.

Right now I'm focusing on plumbing. I'm also thinking whether I should add a heater now..

Mark

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I'm thinking about setting up a heater. I'm looking to do something under the front floor that blows hot air up into the stock heater vents.

Question on the heater control valve:

When the valve is closed, does it bypass the heater (i.e. coolant still runs to and from the heater without going through the core) or does it just block the coolant so none moves?

I'm thinking that it should do the former. If the water is blocked when the heater is off, then there'd be no flow through the EGR cooler.

Am I wrong?

Mark

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I'm thinking about setting up a heater. I'm looking to do something under the front floor that blows hot air up into the stock heater vents.

Question on the heater control valve:

When the valve is closed, does it bypass the heater (i.e. coolant still runs to and from the heater without going through the core) or does it just block the coolant so none moves?

I'm thinking that it should do the former. If the water is blocked when the heater is off, then there'd be no flow through the EGR cooler.
Here's the heater I bought http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/mojave-heater.html

This is going inside the bus cab at the front. I'm not using a heater control valve. It'll be the fan on it which determines how much heat I'm getting.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Any tips on the coolant level sensor. I'd like to have a dash light if the fluid is low.

I understand that the stock configuration has a special electronic circuit to monitor the resistance in the immersed sensor. I'm hoping for something simpler - a float switch or ?

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Any tips on the coolant level sensor. I'd like to have a dash light if the fluid is low.

I understand that the stock configuration has a special electronic circuit to monitor the resistance in the immersed sensor. I'm hoping for something simpler - a float switch or ?

Why re-invent the wheel? VW used the same coolant reservoirs for so long that they can had for next to nothing and you can integrate the wiring easy enough.