building a tdi-m with rover pump???

SplitBusVanatic

TDI
'83 Golf 1.6d VAN, BMW '01 e39 530d, '66 Type2 Bus 1.6d.
Haven’t got a clue as to what power I have as is.
I’d like to get it up around the 100bhp mark.
Afn was 110bhp out of the factory.
Longevity and reliability and mpg are main goals.
It’s an old camper after all.
Have lots to do with regard to speedo and rpm and temp gauge and other bits and pieces. So limp mode is one less thing to worry about.

Marzocchi

TDI
Caddy MK1 ALH work in progress
mTDI runs, less power then I hoped for

Hey guys,

I just finished my mtdi build. My configuration:

VW ALH 1.9TDI engine
Land Rover 300TDI pump - timing set to 1,45mm
tuning boost pin (morgan hill)
Land Rover TD5 GT2052 wastegated Turbo
Bosio Race 520 nozzles

My goal was to get 180hp at about 26 psi boost with acceptable smoke.

I've been trying to optimize the pump for several hours now but can't find a setting that will bring me even close to my goal.

I can't dyno the engine but compared to similar cars I think that I got about 130-140hp so far.

I am facing the following situation:

-I don't get too much smoke before turbo bulids up pressure (smoke screw set right)

- As the turbo builds up boost (2800 u/min) I get a lot of smoke. I already turned the star wheel as much anti clockwise as possible, which helped.
To get it right I reduce fuel at the main fuel screw. Now that this is ok I don't get enough fuel in at full boost.

- If I ignore the smoke while building up full boost (turn in main fuel screw further), I recognise that I even get significant amounts of grey to black smoke at full 26 psi - without having near to 180hp.
I have some experience with eTDI - 26psi there always have been enough boost for 180hp.

What do you think is wrong and has to be adjusted?
Other to the lack of power the engine behaves perfect.

Thanks for your thoughts and help!
Bernd

Last edited:

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
did you do the governor mod to your pump? i have not on mine. my smoke seems to clear up allot when the turbo spools but im peaking at like 26psi but the egts are hitting 1400+ at that point and not clearing up which scares me.

also not impressed with real world performance in fifth gear.

im using stock injectors from swap and he2000wg so some of my smoke may be from injectors but i can feel the wall hit without governor mod on my pump.

i haven't touched my pumps settings or fuel screw yet.