www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old July 18th, 2007, 04:26   #1
58henjef

Default Purchase 2006 Jetta or wait for 2008 Jetta?

I wanted to get some expert opinions on the 2006 vs. 2008 Jetta Diesel. I would like to get a Diesel Jetta for my work vehicle to save money at the pump, but I am struggling with the 06 vs. 08, should I wait until the 08 is here or go with the 06. I have read the information available online about the changes to the 08 that result in greater efficiency, emissions, and power.

Are the advances in technology for the 08 model substantial enough to wait for that model? I am currently driving a 04 Z71 Chevy that gets about 16mpg for my work vehicle, so if I wait until early 08 I am looking at spending about 1.5K more in fuel over the next 6 months until the 08 is here versus if I went out and picked up an 06 now and started driving that.

Thoughts?
58henjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:20   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Check over some of the other threads. This was just asked about not long ago again. I would buy now. You never know what will happen in the future. If you can find what you want now, buy it. if not wait.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:57   #3
Philcsag16

TDI(s): JETTA

I was in a similar situation, using a F 250 PSD 4 x 4 as a daily driver.
I thought about the 2008 but the # 1 reason I purchased an 06 was I want them to get all the bugs out of the new "engine control" first.
I hate driving a R&D vehicle for any auto manufacture at my expense.
2006 TDI are getting scarce, I had a difficult time finding a PKG zero with a DSG ( I did not want a sun roof)
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:59   #4
02VFR
Veteran Member

I am waiting for the 08. I am going to the dealer in October and putting a order in for a Sportwagon TDI. I drive a 99 Grand Prix GTP right now I am getting about 22-24 MPG so it's not to bad. The car has 120,000 miles on it.
I figure with the extra time I have a will save some more and put down between 10,000 and 15,000 so I will have a small car loan. I am getting the Sportwagon loaded, package 2 with the navigation system so I figure to spend around 30,000 to 34,000 on the car....
02VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:35   #5
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philcsag16
I was in a similar situation, using a F 250 PSD 4 x 4 as a daily driver. I thought about the 2008 but the # 1 reason I purchased an 06 was I want them to get all the bugs out of the new "engine control" first. I hate driving a R&D vehicle for any auto manufacture at my expense.
Holy Smokes, Another happy 6.0 psd owner I know whereof you speak. My fuel savings are paying for the TDI. a no brainer in my sitaution. Bob
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:07   #6
maloosheck
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58henjef
Thoughts?
Wait. All the tdi community including VW R&D and tuners need guinnea pigs of the CRD technology .

But seriously, I have no idea. The only reason I would wait right now is the 6-speed tranny and wagon option. On the other hand 2008 Jettas might end up even more decontented (if it is at all possible).
maloosheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 18:32   #7
andmoon

If you wait you will have more selection as it looks like many other companies are going to bring in their diesels.
andmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 19:07   #8
Eric Cartman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006
Question

Quote:
I wanted to get some expert opinions on the 2006 vs. 2008 Jetta Diesel. I would like to get a Diesel Jetta for my work vehicle to save money at the pump, but I am struggling with the 06 vs. 08, should I wait until the 08 is here or go with the 06. I have read the information available online about the changes to the 08 that result in greater efficiency, emissions, and power.

Are the advances in technology for the 08 model substantial enough to wait for that model? I am currently driving a 04 Z71 Chevy that gets about 16mpg for my work vehicle, so if I wait until early 08 I am looking at spending about 1.5K more in fuel over the next 6 months until the 08 is here versus if I went out and picked up an 06 now and started driving that.

Thoughts?
Expert opinion?
How would a expert know if the 08 model is not even out yet?
Sorry. Could not help myself. Flame away.

Eric Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 19:19   #9
Eric Cartman
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

But, in all truthfulness, it is a hard one.
I like others faced that decision as well.
The thoughts that entered my mind at the time were:
1. It will probably cost more than a 06 (con)
2. It probably wont look all that much different if at all from a 06 (con)
3. IT WILL cost more money than a 06 (con)
4. There are still a lot of 06 models that need to be bought up (pro)
5. Will a 08 be available in a Special Edition like the one I have? (who knows)
6. I like yourself drove a full size GMC 60 miles round trip to work and back. The truck I was spending about $120 a week plus in fuel.
7. Can you afford a new car payment for a 06 let alone a 08? Course you could find a used 06 with miles, but people want more for those cars then if you could just find a new 06 still on a lot.
8. I had a fear of GAS prices climbing at the time. (you never know when gas prices will increase) (pro)
9. IF you wait for a 08, would you regret it and wish you would have settled for a 06?
10. If you want to buy an 08 for the sake of it being "new"
then there will always be a "newer" model out the next year. IE, it will not stay "new" forever. (con)
Those are just a few of the questions I had at the same time.
Bottom line. I have NO regrets not waiting for a 08.
I am COMPLETELY and utterly sold on my 06.
I have had it less than 2k miles and in my opinion, love it as much as any other car I have ever owned. I LOVE IT.

Old July 19th, 2007, 04:56   #10
58henjef

Thanks for the input. I am going to check out the 06s at the local dealership. They had about 7 in stock last Sunday.
58henjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:13   #11
SuperJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: too much fun...

I love my '06, especially now that it is tuned. The BRM engine is very responsive to tuning. 140+ horsepower and 240 lb.ft of torque is very achievable with just a tune.

300,000km and counting
SuperJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:33   #12
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I am going to check out the 06s at the local dealership. They had about 7 in stock last Sunday.
Wow , enjoy the selection.
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:52   #13
bmwM5power
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJ
I love my '06, especially now that it is tuned. The BRM engine is very responsive to tuning. 140+ horsepower and 240 lb.ft of torque is very achievable with just a tune.
how did u tune it, a rocketchip or something else?
bmwM5power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:01   #14
SuperJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: too much fun...

My tune is from TechNine quite a few of us from Ontario are using Tech9 with good results. I'm very happy with my tune. Here is a dyno from another forum members car that should reflect what mine is doing. I think Alligator or Rocketchip would give similar results.
Note that the torque is tuned to a reduce value at lower rpms to save the clutch and drivetrain, but the horsepower keeps going at 4500 rpm it's a huge gain over stock. I had my car tuned over the OBDII port.

300,000km and counting
SuperJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:44   #15
Eric Cartman
Veteran Member

Wink

Quote:
You will absoloutly love that car.
I have refered 3 other people over to VW and they have all bought new 06 models.
Let us know if you need to track down a new 06 model, be glad to help.
I am in texas, and I bought mine at Hiley Mazda VW over in Arlington.
Last time we checked they had a few left from about 38 or so.
There is a thread on that topic as well floating around a couple of places in here.
Once they are gone, they will be gone..