Newbie with a question about 03 and older TDI's

ckrider

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Hey, thanks in advance for checking out my post. I am a newbie to the forum and have one initial question to get me started.

I have been doing a lot of looking at Jetta and Golf TDI's, 2001 and newer, on eBay and Cars.com. Yesterday I found something interesting posted under one of the cars I found on eBay. It said:

2004 VW JETTA GLS TDI TURBO DIESEL ( PUMPE DEUSE )
What is "Pumpe Deuse" you ask? It is why you should only consider buying a 2004 or later TDI. The 2003 and earlier engines were NOT built for the VERY SOON to come ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel), and will require an expensive modification to adapt the injection pumps.

Anyone out there know if there is any truth to this? Any help or knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a link to the auction if you want to check it out for yourself: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=220032131041&ih=012&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Thanks again!

CK

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
What a moronic statement. The Euros have been running ULSD for years.

WOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF....What a load of horse-hockey that is !

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ya. I've run a few tanks of ULSD B99 through my car, no problems.

There have been some problems with leaking seals on older cars, but it's not a mod that's then required, just replacement of the seals.

-Jason

silverstar03

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
that's classic bs marketing... any diesel can run on ULSD, but the new new (2008) diesels can ONLY run ULSD. The 03s are very versatile: biodiesel ok, regular diesel ok, ULSD ok. The 04 PD engines have a bit more horsepower and features, but the fuel is backwards compatible

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Aside from the BS factor, the contrary is probably true: the reason to not buy a 2004-or-later used TDI is that you really must be absolutely sure that only the correct oil (505.01 spec or better) has been used in the car to date... Also, the glow plugs are much more fragile (and expensive) than on the 2003-and-older TDI's...

Of course, it helps if good quality oil has been used in the 2003-and-older TDI as well... and since a car of that vintage is more likely to have had its timing belt replaced, one can only hope that the procedure was performed correctly...

Yuri.

bosox_tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
my 2003 Jetta is "vintage" already :p

an instant classic? I'm applying for antique plates at the registry today!

seriously, classic sales pitch- use fear to get 'em to buy it- this is usually the message from sales people with SUVs- especially on a test drive " this suburban/yukon/navigator/explorer/H2/tank is way safer than most vehicles on the road today- you could run over a Jetta and mistake it for a speed bump"
:)

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Ja sind alle Autos, anders als meine, defekt.
ebay is the great marketplace in which, "Let the buyer beware." really needs to be emphasized... So often things sell for over retail because people started using ebay before google and think it is a search engine returning them "best price" results...LOL

Ainsworth

TDI
`02 Golf GL 1.9 TDI
"slippery chemical compounds"

Its a pretty big misconception. My understanding is that people use to believe that the sulpur was left in the fuel to act as a lubricant. Where as the old process of removing sulphur would actually remove sulphur along with other compounds that did act as a lubricant.

The ULSD that we pump into our TDI's now is produced using a process which ONLY removed the sulphur and leaves all the other good slippery chemical compounds our engines need.

Ainsworth

TDI
`02 Golf GL 1.9 TDI
Did some reading about "pumpe deuse" and it looks like it relates more to bio-diesel than ULSD.

So in other words, this ebay seller dude has no clue what he is talkng about and needs a good slap up-side the head.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Ainsworth said:
Did some reading about "pumpe deuse" and it looks like it relates more to bio-diesel than ULSD.

So in other words, this ebay seller dude has no clue what he is talkng about and needs a good slap up-side the head.
I would agree. Give it to him!

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I think this seller has been taking to much 1960's LSD!

I ran a tank of this ULSD stuff in my 2003 and my engine sounded like a sewing machine, I got 45+ MPGs, it smoked a bit when I floored it and it had great power from 1100 RPMs right on through 4000. Hmm, what could be wrong?

Diesel On!