TDI Conversions: Build Threads and Links to Swap Discussions

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
what i did was take the diagram and start tracing wires removing unnecessary wires labeling all others, once you have that done its really easy to hook up.

also i wasted a few hours before i decided to just cut all the splices on the body side of the harness.. this was a real time saver as you have to redo 90% of these due to unnecessary body stuff.

also why isn't my jeep on this list.. it was quite the success..

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Please help me out I'm adding build threads to the list this week. If there are missing builds please post the links up here or PM them to me.

I like to add threads that are fairly close to being finished or ones that have a lot of knowledge in them.

I like to start with the builder's screen name, the major details (car and engine) and then the link. Help in compiling the thread list will be greatly appreciated. It takes hours to do on my own.

So far I think I have finished updating the Corrado and Audi links.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Its in, perfect format. Thanks :)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please help me out I'm adding build threads to the list this week. If there are missing builds please post the links up here or PM them to me.

I like to add threads that are fairly close to being finished or ones that have a lot of knowledge in them.

I like to start with the builder's screen name, the major details (car and engine) and then the link. Help in compiling the thread list will be greatly appreciated. It takes hours to do on my own.

So far I think I have finished updating the Corrado and Audi links.
Many more additions are out there

Andi-Ina

TDI
1.9TDI BEW
Q7 gas to 3.0 tdi?????????????

Has somebody done a conversion like that?
a tdi is approx 20000$ more in canada (both used)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
3114's samurai swap has been added, I love the work. I'm on the road right now so the link I added is a little crude but I'll clean it up later. If you see any other builds I should add please let me know.

jabcok20

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk1
Anybody know link to r5 TDI swap into golf especially golf mk1 or other vw( mk2, mk3, mk4). I think about r5 like AAT AEL and other like from T4.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
Took me forever to track this down after I saw it once - maybe you have it linked in the OP but I couldn't find it.

Pin map (pin mapping, pinout) for 68 Pin AHU or 1Z ECU:

1998 Jetta
AHU ECU Pin Out
Pin# Colour Function

1 Brown Ground
2 Black/Green Tachometer Signal to Instrument Cluster
3 Not Used
4 Brown/Yellow Quantity Adjuster Pin 6
5 Brown/Yellow Quantity Adjuster Pin 6
6 Black/blue Coolant Glow Plug Relay Single
7 Gray/Green Modulating Piston G149-2
8 White Engine Speed Sensor G28-2
9 Not Used
10 Not Used
11 Blue Needle Lift Sensor G80-2
12 Gray Needle Lift Sensor G80-1
13 Brown/Red Mass Air Flow Sensor Pin 6
14 Blue/Brown Coolant Temperature Sensor G27-1
15 White/Blue Throttle Position Sensor Pin 1
16 Blue/White Oil Pressure .3 Bar F22
17 White/Red Clutch Switch F36-2
18 Yellow/Red ?
19 Red/Green Mass Air Flow Sensor Pin 1
20 White/Yellow Brake Light Switch F47-1
21 Not Used
22 Not Used
23 Black/Yellow Switched B+ from Relay 109 output
24 Brown Ground
25 Brown/White Exhaust Gas Recirculator Valve N18-2
26 Black/Brown Coolant Glow Plug Relay Dual
27 Not Used
28 Brown/Green Air Conditioning Relay
29 Violet/Black Modulating Piston G149-1
30 Green/White Glow Plug Relay J66 Pin 7
31 Blue/Yellow ?
32 Gray ?
33 Brown/Blue Sensor Ground
34 Blue/Gray Cruise Switch E45-2 Resume
35 Red Cruise Switch E45-3 Set
36 Not Used
37 Green/Gray Air Conditioning On (Signal from AC system)
38 Black Ignition from Key switch
39 Red/Black Alternator Load Signal DF Pin 2
40 Not Used
Pin# Colour Function

41 Not Used
42 Black/Violet Power Relay J317 (109)
43 Blue/White Vehicle Speed Signal Cluster Pin 7
44 Black/Red Brake Light
45 Black/Yellow Switched B+ from Relay 109 output
46 Brown Ground
47 Red/Blue Wastegate Control Valve N75-2
48 Blue/Green Glow Plug Light
49 Brown/Yellow Quantity Adjuster Pin 6
50 Yellow/Blue Glow Plug Relay Pin 1
51 Brown/Black Cold Start Injector N108-2
52 White/Green Modulating Piston G149-3
53 White/Black Fuel Cutoff N109
54 Not Used
55 Green/Red Throttle Position Sensor Pin 3
56 Not Used
57 Green/Yellow Throttle Position Sensor Pin 2
58 Not Used
59 Blue/Black ?
60 Yellow/White Malfunction Indicator Light
61 Gray/White On Board Diagnostics Connector Pin 7
62 Green/White Throttle Position Sensor Pin 5
63 Yellow/Black Fuel Temperature Sensor G81-1
64 Blue/Yellow Intake Air Temperature Sensor G81-1
65 Green/Blue Throttle Position Sensor Pin 4
66 Black/White Cruise Switch E45-4 On
67 Not Used
68 Black/Yellow Switched B+ from Relay 109 output

Credit Alchemist, download in word file.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
A little tidbit I just wrote up in my thread - if its not fitting for swaps let me know and I'll take it down:

This post gives the manufacturer part number, however Tyco has been purchased by T.E. Connectivity. They distribute through several major suppliers (Newark, Mouser, etc) at fair prices... however shipping can kill you - Mouser wanted $20 to ship 40 pins.

But whats this? Free samples?! Who doesn't love free? I put in for 20/ea of the smallest pins, and will likely go back and get some bigger ones as well just to have some on hand. We had crimpers at work that did the trick perfectly. 20 of each pins is a drop in the bucket for major suppliers like this and 3rd day delivery is a little stingy of them in my experience (try Samtec sudden service for samples if you get a chance, they overnight stuff to you!) You just have to have the time to wait for them.

I highly recommend that anyone tackling a swap come up with a reason to get samples, it can make your life a lot easier to have the on hand just in case!

TrueNorthist

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (Sold) 1992 Passat G60 Syncro wagon (current TDI conversion project) 1990 Jetta GL IDI TD
This thread is an incredible resource! I am in the early stages of planning a conversion and this thread has already answered most, if not all of my questions. I am sure there will be a few that crop up as I go along, but once I pull the pin I will start a build thread of my own.

Cheers very much!

DangerBoy

TDI
2010 BMW X5 35d, 1997 A6 Wagon AEL 2.5L TDI quattro 01E Six Speed Manual (Salvaged 2018)
To Baja:

The post about pins is VERY fitting for swaps, as the wiring is a major part of any TDI project. In my case, I took hours stripping down my extra harnesses and I build some pin extractors by grinding down some allen keys. Using this method I was able to pull the pins without damaging them and reuse them once I matched the wire colors and gauge.

I would have much preffered to have the pins new and a crimper to what I did. That would have saved many hours of time and it also would have made the job that much more professional. Thanks for posting!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DangerBoy's Build has been added, others please post your links here and I will update the list. Time is more and more scarce so please help me help the people doing research.

tbeetham

TDI
85 jetta turbo diesel
I have a 85 Jetta turbo diesel and plan on doing a mtdi swap! I found a 97 tdi motor and plan to send my 1.6 injection pump and the new one off of the 97 and have to find an AAZ pump to send to giles. my question is how will my 1.6 tranny act with the TDI swapI've been told that it will do fine if I am NOT constantly dropping the clutch or racing it but I want to know how it will be at freeway speeds and daily driving?

TDI
none, Passat V soon
Hi,

Great resource! Thank you.

I've read through many of the swap threads, some of them several times and though the three swaps I have in mind are still somewhat far off and not necessarily utilizing the same vehicles, the info here is invaluable.

I clicked on Logdog's 1966 Volvo 122S wagon TDI link, but it directs to Frankendiesel's Chrysler Town & Country Mini Van AHU swap. With a wee bit of searching I found the correct link to Logdog's 122S conversion:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=214626

There is more on his swap at: http://www.ovtuners.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3738&sid=245c9a98d2b8e25f2d1f5a90a6b1a5b1

Both of interest, as far as they go, but far from complete due to other, more pressing matters of his time. Perhaps and hopefully more will follow...

Best to all and happy New Year,

Lance

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I added about 8 links based on links posted in this thread, thanks for the help. If there are completed or near completion swaps that should be added please post them up here. Thanks

SparkyWagon

TDI
02 jetta wagon Tdi
also i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on using a 99.5 ALH swap into an 02 golf 2.0. Just the engine wiring harness between 99.5 and 02-03 ALH being different and the lack of immo in the 99.5. I am on the lookout for my gfs car and knowing that i had 99.5-03 options instead of just 02-03 donor cars to look at would be helpful. her 2.0 has 235k on it and i know it won't last forever, but the body is straight and i redid the whole suspension.

so basically if i were to use a 99.5 donor car.. ecu, wiring harness, cluster would i run into problems aside from probably having to splice the newer style connectors on the old wiring harness. also will there be immo problems in the car itself. i.e. locking and windows etc..

thanks