Completed ALH Toyota swap

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
a couple questions:

-what turbo are you running?

-what are the engine mounts, and how is the vibration?

-how heavy is your flywheel, and would you want it heavier?

Last edited:

Bad_Vision

TDI
1985 Toyota pickup TDI swapped.
Stock ALH engine with a stage 1 tune so it has the VNT 15
Engine mount is a custom triangle brace utilizing two transmission mounts from a older Ford application.

Vibration isn't bad but my "engine" mounts I used are brand new and stiff yet so considering that I think the vibration is minimal.

As for the flywheel it is a stock Toyota flywheel with the VW bolt pattern drilled into it. It doesn't have any issue getting up to speed and maintaining it on 37" tires. The idle is at 850 rpm and has no trouble climbing at all! Watch my test drive video and you can see it rips!

The plan this summer is injectors and a stage 3 tune

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
interesting idea with the mount. Do there are no mounts on the side of the block? Just trans cross member and the a-frame in the front? That certinaly opens up space for the turbo and such.

Bad_Vision

TDI
1985 Toyota pickup TDI swapped.
interesting idea with the mount. Do there are no mounts on the side of the block? Just trans cross member and the a-frame in the front? That certinaly opens up space for the turbo and such.
Correct no side mounts, so the 3 point mount works very well as balance and holding. It does give room for lots of things as you can see in my video the intercooler is mounted in the engine bay also. Lots of room and I like it like that.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I would like to do something like that in my tacoma. Not sure it will work the same in that chassis, but its a good concept. Thanks for sharing.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
are you pleased with the vnt15? If I can make it fit, I think I will go with a vnt15 in my tacoma, and then be able to fit a vnt17 in place in the future, if i need more power.

I am also considering the vnt1749va from a b5.5 passat, but the turbo is more rare, and the lack of a bolt on upgrade is somewhat dissuasive.