2005 gasser touareg TDI conversion

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Being in the same generation of VW's as the 2005 Passat TDI does anyone know if a BHW would be a viable swap into the Touareg? I found a Touareg cheap with a blown 3.2 gas motor and 2004-2005 BHW cars are everywhere. I know the V10 TDI was not good so I'm looking at another option for my next swap. I just wonder if there is too much cross talk between modules to make it work. It would still be cool using only 2WD. I probably should talk to Mike at TD Tuning before I step into something bad. I have no doubt a stage 2 tune and some tasteful turbo mods would easily move it around. I wonder if 2005 Euro Touaregs or similar car were offered with any other TDI package beside the V10? The tiguans are just too small for me.

Last edited:

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Besides the V10, the ROW got R-5 TDIs. 175hp. Pretty easy to get a BHW into that territory.

This would be a cool project.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Couple things:

The T'reg is HEAVY. It would be taxing any PD 4cyl to move it, but it could do it. It just won't be particularly fast.

The B6 Passat wagon has more interior volume than a T'reg, so if size matters, there are other choices. The B6 was also available here with AWD.

There were going to be T'regs with blown up VR6 engines as soon as we found out that was going to be the standard engine. Lots of them can barely manage 150k miles pushing a Jetta around before the chain drive tooefs itself, tasking it with pushing a 2.5+ ton SUV with a slushbox and AWD is a recipe for a short life, although the later ones do have a lot of improvements that hopefully will help them. I'd still have chosen one of the 90 degree V6s (based off the V8s) for motivation instead. For whatever reason, VAG chose the VR. :rolleyes:

I'd look into the 2.5L I5 TDI. It is not the same as the other 2.5L TDI like the Crafter, etc. used. The T'reg 2.5L is half of the 5.0L V10, more or less. And those were also available with a manual gearbox. That would probably be an easier swap since someone like Frans could get you the whole drivetrain.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
The 2.5 I5 VE TDI's are not plentiful here if available at all. I had considered one in my 97 F150 swap before I settled on a MB OM606.962 (which has worked out nicely although took some shoe horning). Were they offered in anything in the states? A 2.5 would probably have to be sourced from Frans like you said. I had talked to him a couple years ago about that very engine and he told me he couldn't import them then since they were not available in any car here. Has something changed? I haven't talked to Frans in a couple of years. I know touaregs are heavy but they are definitely cool.

Last edited:

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
The Euro Touareg got the 3.0 V6 TDI as well. That seems to be a decent engine, albeit still not easily available in NA.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Not mechanically compatible. The toureg uses a conventional 4wd system with a transmission tailstock mounted transfer case and a separate front differential.

I'll also add that the toureg is an electrical nightmare, swap wise at least. So many modules, most will have compatibility issues with any engine not supported in module coding. You might get it to run, but the dash would be lit up like a Christmas tree...
Very valid points.

Do you know if the first gen. R-5s had a low range to their gearbox. I've been led to believe they do.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
ROW Touaregs were available with a manual transmission, Google tells me it's 08D and the R5 variant was a PD like the BHW, so maybe an 01E is a challenge, but I politely disagree with the naysayers whether ANY manual tranny can be made to work at all.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
My V6 gasser T-Reg had nearly 190k miles on it when I passed it on. I am tall, and got tired of hitting my head on the door opening as I got in and out. Mine also developed the front diff noise, and I knew my chains were on borrowed time.

I sold mine to Car Max hoping it would be auctioned and not in the hands of someone local, but sure enough it did and ended up right back at Richard's shop 2 months later with dead fuel pumps (still needing a $3500 front diff).

Make sure you do a good inspection on the front diff and all drive shafts if you pick one up cheap for a swap.

We bought an X5 35d to replace the T-Reg and have been VERY happy with it.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I sold my very nice NMS Passat because of leg room issues as I am also tall and my right leg/knee was constantly battling the center housing. I do love the B5.5 cars so maybe I should just stick with them. I do believe all the manufacturers have really screwed over us tall guys by moving the driver seat toward center on the 2012 and newer cars. Thanks for all the input guys and for now i'll just focus on my F150 diesel swap. Lots of leg and headroom in that truck.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
ROW Touaregs were available with a manual transmission, Google tells me it's 08D and the R5 variant was a PD like the BHW, so maybe an 01E is a challenge, but I politely disagree with the naysayers whether ANY manual tranny can be made to work at all.
The Touareg R5 is gear drive like the V10... it is half of the V10. The manual was available on the 5 cylinder, the 10 was automatic only. I believe the V10 and R5 have the same bell housing pattern, which is not the same as the 4 cylinder motors.

-J