TDIFest 2017 location discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'd love to do a local GTG in Central Texas. Heck, even if we had quarterly or bi-annual GTG's in different parts of Texas, for those of us who live here, that would be quite nice (I know there are lots of us TDI drivers, as previously discussed, but being the big state it is, we're very spread out). GTG's in general, regardless of state/region, could be good - local clubs could have more say in planning out a larger TDIfest and help to captivate more interest in the larger event. Or... my idea could be full of crap. But I'm thinking more of the former.

But going back to Lawson's suggestions, I'm really liking the idea of GTGs, again, possibly by region even. We could have one for New England, Eastern Seaboard, South West, West, Midwest, etc. Just depends on who's interested and obviously making it happen. Maybe have fun outings driving on scenic roads, raffles, short (1-2 hour) seminars.
GTGs are an integral part of the community, and meeting fellow forum members bolsters the sense of membership and belonging, and leads long friendships and resources. They're like going to your neighborhood block party - you end up being more than people who share a common space - you actually get to know each other and put faces to the names.

I highly recommend frequenting the regional/GTG discussion forums and making an effort to reach out to people and participate in activities.

A long time ago it was discussed that Tdifest could be done in regions...ie: eastern one year, central next year, western the following and repeating. That would be great..but as mentioned...it takes work and attendance for that to all happen...we have not had good attendance the last few years and in terms of planning...its always the same people...we will burn them out and have nothing if this continues. In my opinion, there are a few factors contributing to the decline of attendance. One is the lack of GTG's. Without these...we are all essentially internet lurkers with little to connect us outside of the virtual world. As a result...few would be willing to travel to a destination for what is essentially a large gtg. We need the small ones. Those are the fuel that create the fire that drives the club.

Another is that for several years(the commonrail years) many buyers are regular buyers as opposed to enthusiasts. Regular buyers typically have no interest in the car beyond transportation...and as so many owners are now regular buyers...our attendance overall dropped. With the older cars, folks would search out ways to get problems solved, work done more accurately, performance mods done and so on. Once they discovered what is essentially a treasure trove of knowledge and devotion to fellow enthusiasts....they became as crazy as the rest of us. Enter the new owners. Some still come for answers to questions or to have work done or modifications...but mostly...its complaining. And many have no interest in solutions so the whole scene suffers. Older members get jaded by all the shenanigans and stop logging in as much...if at all.

Some of the lack of attendance is simple life...babies, moves, changes in occupations or scheduling...and so on. Life uses up our time...so we dont always have time for a forum. But you know what? We make time for the things we enjoy. How many people religiously watch the walking dead...or game of thrones and such as these? Some binge watch whole seasons. So really, is it lack of time? or lack of interest? Many of the newer owners as I said are not enthusiasts...not much interest. And as the newer cars seem to be the bulk of the wheels on the ground...thats a factor. Along with so many returning their cars for cash....there may be significantly less cars....and less owners...therefor less members(active ones).

How to engage the minds and hearts of diesel loving people again? I'm open to suggestions...I have some ideas, but it takes a concerted effort by all interested parties to remedy this decline. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to attend tdifest this year. It was fun as always...but I did notice a small resurgence of young enthusiasts...and also new faces that were older. So perhaps we will be on he mend if we continue to work at it. Fred also did a couple of Q&A's to feel out the club for ideas on how to improve things. What people would like to see...new..and old...

The level of talent at the typical tdifest is staggering. If we had gtg's like that...we would have way more interest. Once this scandal is on the mend...I think people will be more open to the return of the diesel(star wars pun intended). We however must be ready to receive them in the way we used to...my hope is that more of the newer owners will become enthusiasts due to the love of the car as a tool...and the need to find ways to continue driving them. This is a small seed that can grow into a mighty tree if we could find a way to keep it watered....
Chris, you're right on the money, as usual. GTGs are key to keeping things at a higher level than just an online community. I think once Dieselgate is settled, we will see the enthusiast base grow. Many of the "normies," if you will, will turn their vehicles in and move on to something else, and the enthusiasts will be more interested in keeping their TDIs on the road. The question will be: is that enthusiast base enough to sustain the community for the foreseeable future? I don't know, but we will find out soon enough.

I've talked with organizers about the every other year idea for TDIFest. I know other organizations who do that, and it seems to result in better attendance.

I'm still hoping for one somewhere in the West, hopefully where it's cool on Labor Day.
I think the two year rotation will help reduce pressure on the planners, and allow more time to plan successful events in new locations. On the flip side, is every-other-year often enough to keep people interested? With regular local GTGs, I think so.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I think the two year rotation will help reduce pressure on the planners, and allow more time to plan successful events in new locations. On the flip side, is every-other-year often enough to keep people interested? With regular local GTGs, I think so.
Given what I know about human nature, the first year will go by with nothing happening and then we will be back into the one year period where everything gets pulled together.

I think the key to making a Fest happen is the "core" group pushing effect on the locals who are hosting the event. I know that it's not the ideal way to do it, but according to what you expressed earlier, it's been the way it has worked in the past.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I attend a couple of non-TDI/non-car events which take place every two years which are successful. One difference here is that these events are based in the same location (Duluth, MN and Twin Cities) every time although specifics of the event do vary. Benefits of using same location over and over is that planning is streamlined once past the first event. As these events are smaller in scale attendance-wise (45 people was the most I've ever seen in the past - and yes, there is a limit on attendees by choice to keep things manageable) it is organized by one person who sometimes has help from a friend or two. What also helps is the organizer works with another group who provides most of the actual personnel/equipment to make the event happen.

I like doing these events as it is often enough to be familiar / in mind yet not so often it becomes boring / routine. Having it in the same location helps for knowing where things are (event location, hotels, restaurants, etc.) for repeat attendees as half of us who attend are regulars who keep coming back.

This is an apples to oranges comparison as these events I attend in Minnesota do not have the attendee numbers, banquet, etc. that the TDI Fests have. I do feel having the Fest every two years instead of annually is a good way to go in the future. Even though the Minnesota events I attend are smaller it is still work to put on and the organizer likes having that break between each one. While I realize there are advantages to having TDI Fest in a different location each time there are also benefits to using the same location such as establishing a strong working relationship with a hotel. Basically you won't please all the people no matter how it is set up. There is a reason most TDI Fests have been held in the East Coast / Midwestern regions plus Toronto and Montreal as there are more members to draw from who are willing to get involved with hosting a Fest.

I think VeeDubTDI is correct in his thinking a year should be taken off from having a TDI Fest and seeing how Dieselgate plays out during 2017. Then plans can be made for another Fest in 2018 assuming a suitable city and core group of organizers for same can be identified if there are still enough dedicated TDI enthusiasts still active then which should still be the case.

Hopefully local GTG's will continue and even make a mini-comeback but I don't think it will equal what we had back in 2002-2009 far as how many local GTG's took place then as that period is starting to look like the Golden Age of GTG's now... Hope I'm wrong here!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
TDIFest in YPSI, one year, Herndon VA the next, and St Louis the year after that, and perhaps out west somewhere the 4th year, then just keep rotating them?

or bounce back and forth between ones that we have done already like Ypsi, MI and Herndon, VA every other year until some other group steps up to add to the rotation?

these fests are the ones I enjoyed the most and were successful venues and I would be willing to go to regularly.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
TDIFest in YPSI, one year, Herndon VA the next, and St Louis the year after that, and perhaps out west somewhere the 4th year, then just keep rotating them?

or bounce back and forth between ones that we have done already like Ypsi, MI and Herndon, VA every other year until some other group steps up to add to the rotation?

these fests are the ones I enjoyed the most and were successful venues and I would be willing to go to regularly.
There should be at least one Canadian location in the rotation, IMO.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
I've talked with organizers about the every other year idea for TDIFest. I know other organizations who do that, and it seems to result in better attendance.

I'm still hoping for one somewhere in the West, hopefully where it's cool on Labor Day.
How about Colorado. Then I could trailer my XR650R & do some awesome riding again.
Preferably: Deadwood , Colo.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
No.
I live in TN.
Besides I am just an idea man, my organization skills are limited .

Why not Fredericksburg TX. That's an awesome place

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
No.
I live in TN.
Besides I am just an idea man, my organization skills are limited .

Too hot in Texas in August/September.

I like that....Idea Man...that's good, maybe you should get into politics? (or maybe you already are):D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How about Colorado. Then I could trailer my XR650R & do some awesome riding again.
Preferably: Deadwood , Colo.
:confused: When did Colorado expand its borders? Last I knew, Deadwood was in South Dakota.

Though maybe you were thinking of Deadwood, California or Deadwood, Oregon? ;)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We have a whole lot of Idea's men here,
that's the problem.....
LOL. It's true. I'd love to see TDIFest go to Colorado, but that's too far for me to even commit to going, let alone planning. The problem with Colorado is that there is a very small TDI population within a day's drive of it. Based on our survey responses over the past several years, the majority of people are looking to make a one-day drive or less to get to TDIFest.

One thing is for sure - if Jason and I end up on the west coast at some point in the future, we will definitely try to get another western TDIFest off the ground. :cool:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
...no other GTG's have been scheduled in Texas that I know of. One was attempted, but never got off the ground. It appears there are not enough TDI member drivers here and the ones that are, seem to have no interest or are 100's of miles apart.
Which is a shame. Personally, I think the latter reason sounds more like the culprit, since we are in a big state, and people are spread out all over the place. I, for instance, am about 2.5 house from Austin and about an hour from San Anton. Of all the Texas TDI owners, I haven't met a single population in a given area, as everyone is spread all over the place.

There should be at least one Canadian location in the rotation, IMO.
Phoenix, on Labor Day weekend?:eek:
Fredericksburg is beautiful, but very touristy, and there aren't any large convention center hotels there. Granted, we do have lots of nice places to do a group run here in Hill Country, like the Three Twisted Sisters (FM337 which starts here in Medina and the other roads I can't recall the numbers of now).

I don't think Phoenix is a good idea; too hot. Labor Day in Fredericksburg is still pretty hot. I agree that something should be down somewhere in the Western US. CA would be more conducive for me, as opposed to something on the East Coast (New England) or WAAAAAY up north (Wisconsin is too far north).

I still agree with those of us passionate about something going on trying to organize local GTGs, although local, especially here in Texas, seems to translate more to regional.

Also, I too have noticed the same - that the bulk of CR owners are average drivers rather than enthusiasts. To them, it's just another mode of transportation that just happens to compete on the fuel economy side with hybrids. I keep hearing that the number of enthusiast CR owners keeps dwindling since the advent of dieselgate.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally Posted by ottomatic

Fredericksburg is beautiful, but very touristy, and there aren't any large convention center hotels there. Granted, we do have lots of nice places to do a group run here in Hill Country, like the Three Twisted Sisters (FM337 which starts here in Medina and the other roads I can't recall the numbers of now).

I don't think Phoenix is a good idea; too hot. Labor Day in Fredericksburg is still pretty hot. I agree that something should be down somewhere in the Western US. CA would be more conducive for me, as opposed to something on the East Coast (New England) or WAAAAAY up north (Wisconsin is too far north).

Too bad it is too late to "...go to Luckenbach... with Waylon and Willie..."

We should probably use "Calif." as the "California" abbreviation since "CA" is also used to abbreviate "Canada" as this is a Canada-based site. Alternately we could use "CR" (short for "California Republic").

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Too bad it is too late to "...go to Luckenbach... with Waylon and Willie..."

We should probably use "Calif." as the "California" abbreviation since "CA" is also used to abbreviate "Canada" as this is a Canada-based site. Alternately we could use "CR" (short for "California Republic").
Luckenbach isn't far from Fredericksburg. It's either in Gillespie or Kendall County.

And "CR" is already being used for common rail. ;-)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Luckenbach isn't far from Fredericksburg. It's either in Gillespie or Kendall County.

And "CR" is already being used for common rail. ;-)
Then "Calif." it is.

I drove through Luckenbach back in '78 or '79 when I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB in Austin. BTW, what is now the Hilton we called "The Doughnut" since it was a circular building with the center courtyard open to the sky. I understand it is now glassed in.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I've never been to a TDI fest. I have always wanted too, but haven't have the opportunity to go. Would love to see one near or around NC.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Then "Calif." it is.

I drove through Luckenbach back in '78 or '79 when I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB in Austin. BTW, what is now the Hilton we called "The Doughnut" since it was a circular building with the center courtyard open to the sky. I understand it is now glassed in.
It's a nice building, but the rooms aren't exciting at all. I stayed there one night and attended a convention for a week in October for this year's American Dairy Goat Association convention (which is why I wasn't able to attend TDIfest 2016) that was situated in this Hilton.

Actually, it would've probably been a perfect place for a TDIfest, but I think we've already decided it won't happen in Texas.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a nice building, but the rooms aren't exciting at all.
Well, what did you expect from converted office spaces! :D

It looks like they tore down the Base Chapel where my wife & I were married. The building where I worked was located in southwest of what is now the parking lot.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Well, what did you expect from converted office spaces! :D

It looks like they tore down the Base Chapel where my wife & I were married. The building where I worked was located in southwest of what is now the parking lot.
What was cool, is that they did allow goats brought into the ballroom on the stage for our annual auction (absolutely gorgeous bucks and does, I might add). I don't know if it would've been possible to bring a TDI downstairs or not.

Back on topic - I still wonder about the possibility of organizing regional TDIfests for those of us interested in having it, but also delegating planning to multiple people. I'd totally want to help, but I've done things like this in the past where everyone else flaked out and nothing ended up coming to fruition.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Aspen. It not ski season so prices may be less. "Colorado Rocky Mountain High, I've seen it rainin fire across the sky." -- John Denver

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've been posting that for a while. I like Aspen a lot. Haven't been there in the summer, but I bet it's nice then, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.