23O6 Emissions Service Action

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Just get reflashed. :rolleyes: The tuners should do this for free when a TSB or recall is involved.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Hey!! Don't interfere with our birthright to make loads of assumptions about things we don't know enough about! This is AMERICA!! This is the INTERNET!!!

Ok, sarcasm mode off... I agree with you overall, and was only worrying about unlikely new behavior from the dealer, like claiming a new ECU would be a fix for altered programming. Doubtful. The tin hat idea of it being an opportunity to install a new security method, also doubtful, since I'd expect no effort to be made unless tuners have been a money costing problem, haven't heard of that. Still waiting to hear from a tuned someone that has made the cycle. ;)

Whisper

TDI
2010 Jetta
Just had the update done today on my 2010 Jetta (121.5K miles). Within 100 miles, the check engine light flagged.

Sigh. Gotta take it back tomorrow. Like I have nothing else to do.

On the plus side, I managed to badger them into giving me a complete diagnostic print out. They initially refused to give me a copy, saying it was proprietary information and the pages could not leave the dealership, but once I started copying the thirteen pages by hand... they gave up and printed me a copy.

Will report back with what flagged and why once I know.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Whisper said:
Just had the update done today on my 2010 Jetta (121.5K miles). Within 100 miles, the check engine light flagged....................
......Will report back with what flagged and why, once I know.
Oh, please do, for I've had nothing happen with my car since I drove it off the lot. Although I have a super tech, who is the only person I allow to touch the car at the new Norm Reeves dealership in orange county, this ECU modification/update does have me concerned.

Last edited:

Whisper

TDI
2010 Jetta
Oh, please do, for I've had nothing happen with my car since I drove it off the lot. Although I have a super tech, who is the only person I allow to touch the car at the new Norm Reeves dealership in orange county, this ECU modification/update does have me concerned.
Can you let me know the name of your guy over there? I actually live in North OC and, while I like my (non-dealership) mechanic a lot, I want another opinion on pretty much everything now.

-------

Quick driving history:

Gave the car to the dealership at 121,588 miles for the software update. Took them about an hour and a half.

Drove home (15mi)
Car sat for about 20 minutes
Drove to get coffee (1.3 mi)
Car sat for about an hour
Drove home (1.3 mi)
Car sat for about two hours
Drove to UCI (25 mi)
Car sat for about three hours
Went to leave UCI
-surface streets, fine
-got on the freeway, got up to about 65MPH and went .5 - 1 mile and PING

So we're looking at, really, two warm starts and two cold starts (assuming I'm using that phrase correctly-- I'm new to all of this), with a mix of surface streets and highway (non-traffic hours) driving. I'm pegging the estimated traveled mileage between update and CEL at 40 - 50 miles.

I kept on driving after the CEL light went on, radio off, listening to my car and feeling for any deviance in the usual vibrations-- the general rumble of my car (post-service, pre-CEL) was -much- more bass..ier... than usual for the first 20 or so miles after the service, but that was gone by the next day.

Put 5 gallons in my car before parking at my house.

CEL was still on the following morning. Car still sounded and felt normal. Went to get coffee (1.3 miles), was in the shop for about five minutes. Came out, started car, drove about, oh, 20 feet.

And the CEL went off. I have no idea how normal that is. I've never had that happen to me, on any car of any make I've owned.

Drove down to the dealership. The light stayed off. Noticed that, after about 20 miles of highway driving, sitting at the signal at the exit ramp, my car was pulsing. I've noticed that maybe twice ever, and I've had this car for five years.

So the brake pedal is vibrating under my foot with this steady, almost regular heart-rate pulse. But the car isn't pulling forward and the RPMs were steady. I could hear my engine doing it, once I turned off the radio.

Drive to dealership, park... car is still pulsing. Turn off car. Regen was cycling. Don't know if that's what I was feeling.

Go talk to the service adviser. Explain that I had the update done the previous day, what had happened, and that I wanted a scan to see what had set the light off. Told him about the pulsing. He refused to believe that my car wasn't actually pulling forward and that were the RPMs unchanging.

Tells me no problem, will totally scan... for $140. If it wasn't the result of the update, that was the cost. If it WAS the result of the update, they'll apply it to the repair. THE REPAIR FOR WHATEVER MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED DUE TO THE UPDATE.

I think my reply involved some shocked profanity.

So I called my mechanic (5 miles away), and he said he'd scan it and give me the print-out (he knows I love my print-outs) for $47. Sure.

Additional info: An exhaust sensor went bad two weeks ago or so. Details on that below (just in case there's an impact that needs to be taken into account), then details on the fault that caused my CEL to come on after that.

What flagged two weeks ago:

001146 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2
P047A - 000 - Open Circuit - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 44
Reset Counter: 255
Mileage: 173669 km
Tim Indication: 0

It also caused:

16815 - Warm Up Catalyst; Bank 2
P0431 - 001 - Efficiency Below Threshold - Intermittent - MIL ON

And:

000262 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor )G71) / (F96)
P0106 - 006 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset Counter: 40
Mileage: 198574 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 800 /min
Mass Air / Rev.: 152.6 mg/str
Temperature: 43.5 C
Idle
Voltage: 14.18 V
Speed: 0.0 km/h

So those showed on today's print-out. The new ones?

001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 000 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Frequency: 4
Mileage: 194268km (120712 mi)
Date: 2027.14.03
Time: 23:33:08

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1495 /min
Speed: 47.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.68 V
Load: 85.9%
Load: 100.00%
Mass Air / Rev. : 295.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev. : 440.0 mg/str

001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 001 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 195733 (121623 mi) <---PING
Date: 2027.14.19
Time: 08:14:20

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2323 /min <---DOUBLE CONFIRM
Speed: 118.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.68 V
Load: 96.1 %
Load: 100.0%
Mass Air / Rev.: 475.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 470.0 mg/str

I don't know enough (yet) about this particular sensor and what all of the numbers above mean, but I did have my ash load checked yesterday at the dealership and it's only 120.0mL, so if my DPF is going bad at that load a low and causing some sort of clog, I'm going to be pretty upset.

Not sure if it's related to the update, since it happened 900 miles earlier. What I don't understand is why the same error happened with a higher frequency but my CEL did not come on.

If it could be related to the update, as it looks like it has to do with emissions (pardon my ignore), feel free to chime in. I'm going to make a new thread for this in 2010 Jetta TDI category so it doesn't get lost in the chaos of having so many threads on this software update. Maybe I can get help sorting it out there and soothe your concern.

theguywiththelongestname

TDI
previous TDI owner
I spent a week driving around after my re-flash and failed smog test experience. I revisited the smog test place, and passed with no issues. The car has driven smoothly since the re-flash, same fuel mileage. Went on a road trip to Flagstaff AZ, made it in my best time ever: 420 miles in about 5.25 hours.

brookygstone

TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSR
I posted on another thread a few weeks ago, and I came back to update my problems with a check engine light were all related to this recall.

Brief recap: Bought the car mid-March; the check engine light came on a total of four times; went to the shop 3 times; 1st time, they did a regen cycle, 2nd time they REPLACED the whole DPF under warranty, 3rd time they did software update.

So far, I've been able to drive more than 12 miles without a light reappearing! And, I can't speak to mileage yet.. but I also haven't owned the car longer than 2 months, and most of that time it was in the shop. But, if you were having issues with check engine lights related to the DPF, this software update might be the resolution. Fingers crossed this permanently resolves my car's troubles.

My local dealership has been really great and helpful, so I'm being pretty trustworthy.

grateful nomad

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
Hello everyone, I had this update done on 4-25 on my 2010 sportwagen. I have driven about 1000 miles since and I can say it's definitively an improvement. My work order states

Recall
23602599 install updated glow plugs/perform software update

I don't know that the glow plugs are an issue with this engine, especially since we had a brutally cold winter this year and the car never failed to start.
The engine felt funny at times the first few hundred miles. Regen seem more frequent and feel like an A/C clutch cycling on and off instead of periods of less responsiveness. If it wasn't for the pesky P0401 CEL since my second oil change, this car would get best car ever.

Cheers!

grateful nomad

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
To brookygstone, if you still qualify for lemon law, do it. I waited to long and will be paying for it in the form of $3000 for DPF to fix P0401 CEL since the car had 23K miles on it. It now has 144k miles and probably won't pass emissions inspection since the CEL is almost always on anymore.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Hello everyone, I had this update done on 4-25 on my 2010 sportwagen. I have driven about 1000 miles since and I can say it's definitively an improvement.
Cheers!
.........Hi 'nomad,

Has your MPG remained unchanged (or has it gone up)?

TIA,

ez

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
Yes. The letter is making the rounds. There's 3 or 4 threads going on this board alone.
Californian's are SOL - they need to have the ECU flashed, get a signed confirmation and the workorder from the dealer saying it was done before California will register (or re-register) the car. Could get very interesting for anyone who've made mods to the ECU or the DPF/EGR/Cat/Muffler/Turbo. Other CARB states may also have a registration block if it isn't done.
I don't know. The letter from VW says Calif. will deny registration.......
But, I just got my renewal, and there is not any notice or anything. Just send in my fees. Maybe, those going thru smog check with their registration, have been flagged?
But definitely not me this year. I did have smog check last year though.
Even though a smog check is not hook up to equipment, just a check of exhaust soot when they floor it.
I still have not done the update yet.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Hey ez, sorry for not including such an important detail, but mpg is unchanged.
Cheers!
Roger unchanged............

Mine completed 4/17; fueled 4/27 (46.7); looking good (but need bigger sample - as the MFI - you probably know this well - is REALLY quite optimistic)

Like 8 per cent, amigo.........

best, ez

buzzo

TDI
(sold)'11 JSW ('16 340ix, '07 V70R)
About 600 miles since update. Significantly more torque 1200-1600 rpm. Can hold gears much longer, e.g. 45mph in 6th on a small incline at 1200-1400 rpm.

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
So if WA state doesn't do small diesel emissions then I'm cool yeah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
P0401 EGR insufficient flow is usually a cracked DPF substrate.

Here's the break down - the EGR filter is for one EGR circuit and is feed exhaust after the DPF. Therefore it should always be virtually clean. Something causes the substrate to fracture (too hot during regen, shocked by sudden temp change, etc?). Now soot is able to bypass the substrate, BUT the DPF is neither plugged nor failing to reach appropriate temp differential so ECM fails to see a bad DPF. Soot now collects in the EGR filter, causing a restriction, as seen by the pressure sensor (on timing cover?). Restricted filter causes a EGR flow insufficient DTC.

You could replace just the EGR filter, but it will plug again. Easy check - there should not be any soot in the exhaust tips. Nor in the exhaust fitting when you remove the EGR filter.

Any faults that affect air flow or its control and measurement will play havoc with DPF life. But I suspect that the update MAYBE in response to some operating conditions that are resulting in damaged DPFs. Also maybe proactive in preventing the turbo damage happening to Passats. Just a hunch.

Jason

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Hmmm... Wondering why your car has a recall for glow plugs, while mine (2010 Jetta) I haven't heard a thing. Time to call the dealer?

Hello everyone, I had this update done on 4-25 on my 2010 sportwagen. I have driven about 1000 miles since and I can say it's definitively an improvement. My work order states

Recall
23602599 install updated glow plugs/perform software update

I don't know that the glow plugs are an issue with this engine, especially since we had a brutally cold winter this year and the car never failed to start.
The engine felt funny at times the first few hundred miles. Regen seem more frequent and feel like an A/C clutch cycling on and off instead of periods of less responsiveness. If it wasn't for the pesky P0401 CEL since my second oil change, this car would get best car ever.

Cheers!

Whisper

TDI
2010 Jetta
P0401 EGR insufficient flow is usually a cracked DPF substrate.
Here's the break down - the EGR filter is for one EGR circuit and is feed exhaust after the DPF. Therefore it should always be virtually clean. Something causes the substrate to fracture (too hot during regen, shocked by sudden temp change, etc?). Now soot is able to bypass the substrate, BUT the DPF is neither plugged nor failing to reach appropriate temp differential so ECM fails to see a bad DPF. Soot now collects in the EGR filter, causing a restriction, as seen by the pressure sensor (on timing cover?). Restricted filter causes a EGR flow insufficient DTC.
You could replace just the EGR filter, but it will plug again. Easy check - there should not be any soot in the exhaust tips. Nor in the exhaust fitting when you remove the EGR filter.
Any faults that affect air flow or its control and measurement will play havoc with DPF life. But I suspect that the update MAYBE in response to some operating conditions that are resulting in damaged DPFs. Also maybe proactive in preventing the turbo damage happening to Passats. Just a hunch.
Jason
Quick update on this thread.

CEL came on within 40 miles of leaving the dealership (Thursday night). Went back off about 20 miles after that (Friday morning). Took out the EGR valve and intake manifold on Sunday afternoon. Both looked good. Cleaned the EGR valve out anyhow, as we had it out. Valve was working properly. Drove around a bit. Later that evening, CEL came back on. Monday morning, after driving to get coffee, restarted the car and it turned off. Scanned it with a OBD-II after the fact, same error. Took it to the dealership that did the update. They scanned it and tried to diagnose. It might be the update (as they indirectly suggested) or it might be a cracked DPF, as you said. I've cleaned my tailpipes (first time in five and a half years, so they were dirty) and am going to be checking them once a week for build up.

JoshWagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: '15 GSW, '11 A3 Former: '13 JSW, 99.5 Jetta
Had the 2306 completed. I have been driving a week with no noticeable differences.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I had this done this afternoon. I'll have to see how it works long run but so far it seems to be hurting my mpg slightly.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Did the update on my wife's Beetle a little over a week ago and it seems MPG is up a couple points. First trip from Florida to Maine was 51 on the high side. This last trip to Fenway was 53.5 so seems a little improvement. I've been driving it 53 miles to work and average about 55-56 mpg.

Jason

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Hmmm... Wondering why your car has a recall for glow plugs, while mine (2010 Jetta) I haven't heard a thing. Time to call the dealer?
2010 JSW here too. Wonder about this. ^
I am luckily in a rare, smog exempt part of CA. After reading this and the other longer thread, it seems more people are reporting improvements from the update. Some of the theories here about it fixing some inherent problems also make it seem worth taking the time to get it done.
I'm going to wait it out for a while because i can though. Thanks for all the good info here.

DouginNC

TDI
2013 Beetle Convertible
Just had my 2013 Beetle TDI updated today for the Emissions Service Action 2306. Appears to have helped the MPG by 2 - 3 MPG. A longer trip is needed to confirm any MPG change. I don't notice any drivability changes.

DouginNC

TDI
2013 Beetle Convertible
Did the update on my wife's Beetle a little over a week ago and it seems MPG is up a couple points. First trip from Florida to Maine was 51 on the high side. This last trip to Fenway was 53.5 so seems a little improvement. I've been driving it 53 miles to work and average about 55-56 mpg.

Jason
That's fantastic MPG for 2013 Beetle TDI. I've been averaging about 44 MPG.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Any updates as to CEL's, MPG and drivability? I'll be scheduling the fuel neck tsb HPFP warranty extension service soon, and am still wondering about the ecm update.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Any updates as to CEL's, MPG and drivability? I'll be scheduling the fuel neck tsb HPFP warranty extension service soon, and am still wondering about the ecm update.
MPG has been roughly the same as before the update.

My golf has been great so far with not a single CEL *knock on wood* both pre & post update.

Drivability post update seems smoother and the car also seems to have a bit more spunk :D

luftwaffles

TDI
Sold
My drivability is worse. Under light throttle (e.g. flat road, 45mph in 5th), it feels like the car is cutting fuel for a split second. Roughly the same as if I suddenly pulled my foot off the gas pedal. I haven't noticed it at freeway speeds or while accelerating.

I can't speak to fuel mileage since I had new tires put on not too long before the flash. It seems like I'm getting fewer active regens, so I imagine that might help.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
My drivability is worse. Under light throttle (e.g. flat road, 45mph in 5th), it feels like the car is cutting fuel for a split second. Roughly the same as if I suddenly pulled my foot off the gas pedal. I haven't noticed it at freeway speeds or while accelerating.

I can't speak to fuel mileage since I had new tires put on not too long before the flash. It seems like I'm getting fewer active regens, so I imagine that might help.
Is the light throttle issue when the car isn't fully heated up? Like when the temp gauge is between "cold" and "normal" (12o'clock)?

DouginNC

TDI
2013 Beetle Convertible
I still believe that my MPG has increased by approximately 2 MPG. Really no drivability issues to report (either before or after the update). Prior to the update I could tell when the regen. was occurring (higher / rougher idle and odor). I don't notice the regen's. anymore after the update. So far it's been a positive update for me.

luftwaffles

TDI
Sold
Is the light throttle issue when the car isn't fully heated up? Like when the temp gauge is between "cold" and "normal" (12o'clock)?
Good question. I'll have to pay attention and get back to you.

Your question has me wondering. Is that a "normal" thing?