Special tool to replace front shocks/springs?

PseudoFinn

TDI
Black MKVI Jetta. Premium w/ Nav
I am replacing the coil springs on my A4 TDI Jetta. The rears were a no-brainer- but I can't ge the fronts off. It seems there is a special tool to remove the nut from the top of the shock tower, from inside the hood. Is this true? Anyone know what I need and if it's available from autozone or somewhere that has a tool loan program? A simple search ended fruitlessly.

Thanks for any help!

otbBlaine

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
The only special tool that I know of is to remove the strut at the bottom, and you can use a screwdriver for that. Are you referring to the torx bits you need?

PseudoFinn

TDI
It looks like a 22mm socket with a hex in the middle. It's on top of the shock, accessable from under the hood. Do I not need to mess with this? I can't imagine how I'd get the spring off without removing this.

:confused:

Need to get them changed, I've got the lowered springs in the rear now, and the front end looks like a Touareg!

Alloq

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Blue
I assume this is the same as on my 98 Jetta. You need a wrench that will reach down into the recess and turn the large nut on the shaft, and at the same time be able to keep the shaft from turning by inserting an allen key wrench into the shaft top. This is why a standard socket wrench won't work, no opening for the allen wrench. And most box end wrenches won't reach far enough down into the recess.

I bought an extremely cheap set of air wrench sockets at Menards. I took the one I needed to a local auto shop, where I do business, along with a piece of steel rod (an old cut-off tire lug wrench) and asked if they could weld the iron to the socket at a slight upward angle, leaving the middle of the socket open. Before doing this I ground off the exterior finish on the socket and ground a step in the iron end so the two pieces would mate somewhat and the bare metal would weld easier.

This gave me a nice home made wrench to turn the nut that has a hole in the middle through which I can insert the allen wrench. It worked fine but still took a lot of effort to bust one of the two nuts loose.

If you have some really good air tools try this: hit the strut top nut with good penetrating oil and let work a couple days. Then just try to spin the nut off with an air wrench. In the old days getting the nut off a standard front shock absorber presented the same problem. Turning the nut would turn the shaft and there was no easy way to hold the shaft. An air tool would typically take the nut right off. The shaft has enough inertia that it will allow the nut to come loose with the very fast impacts from an air tool (why penetrating oil would be a must). I've not tried this as I have no air tools, but it might work.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Alloq said:
I assume this is the same as on my 98 Jetta. You need a wrench that will reach down into the recess and turn the large nut on the shaft, and at the same time be able to keep the shaft from turning by inserting an allen key wrench into the shaft top. This is why a standard socket wrench won't work, no opening for the allen wrench. And most box end wrenches won't reach far enough down into the recess.

I bought an extremely cheap set of air wrench sockets at Menards. I took the one I needed to a local auto shop, where I do business, along with a piece of steel rod (an old cut-off tire lug wrench) and asked if they could weld the iron to the socket at a slight upward angle, leaving the middle of the socket open. Before doing this I ground off the exterior finish on the socket and ground a step in the iron end so the two pieces would mate somewhat and the bare metal would weld easier.

This gave me a nice home made wrench to turn the nut that has a hole in the middle through which I can insert the allen wrench. It worked fine but still took a lot of effort to bust one of the two nuts loose.

If you have some really good air tools try this: hit the strut top nut with good penetrating oil and let work a couple days. Then just try to spin the nut off with an air wrench. In the old days getting the nut off a standard front shock absorber presented the same problem. Turning the nut would turn the shaft and there was no easy way to hold the shaft. An air tool would typically take the nut right off. The shaft has enough inertia that it will allow the nut to come loose with the very fast impacts from an air tool (why penetrating oil would be a must). I've not tried this as I have no air tools, but it might work.

It works just fine with an electric impact gun as well!

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Me thinks you should go see Marty Bergel aka jetAAH in Fowlerville.....He has all the tools and would do the work safely!!! (I mention safety as you didn't mention spring compressors which would be necessary)

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
doc m,

Thanks for the link. It should come in handy in a few weeks.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
no worries I used that one but next time will get someone to do it as it's not to fun to do the front struts

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Alloq said:
An air tool would typically take the nut right off. The shaft has enough inertia that it will allow the nut to come loose with the very fast impacts from an air tool (why penetrating oil would be a must). I've not tried this as I have no air tools, but it might work.
Works like a dream! :)

PseudoFinn

TDI
Thanks very much guys! I'm gonna give some of these suggestions a shot asap. Hopefully I should be able to knock it out. BTW... with regards to safety, forunately I have a set of spring compressors. This made my rears a quick and easy job. Also... I have a easy and quick access to a set of air tools- so I'm gonna see if I can get the job done. Otherwise, it's a trip out to Marty's! Gonna have to get a timing belt change very soon anyway. Been dreading that one. At any rate. Thanks all for the support and suggestions.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
otbBlaine said:
The only special tool that I know of is to remove the strut at the bottom, and you can use a screwdriver for that. Are you referring to the torx bits you need?
You're asking for an injury doing that.....

CPL

TDI
2001 Blk Jetta
The impact wrench with penetrating oil sounds like it would work. Snap-on and Mac Tools both sell a rachet call a hi-lock rachet that has the hole required to insert the allen key in order to hold the strut while still using a deep socket. I also like the idea of having the tool made, Its definitly more cost effective if you dont want to purchase another rachet. Either way I feel you cant ever have enough tools

Alloq

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Blue
Don't forget to go for an alignment after doing the front struts. If you leave the original springs, some of the rust spots on the suspension parts will tell you if everything is back about where it was. I'd still get it checked afterward. But, if you put some springs like H&Rs in there, the car will sit a little lower and the strut needs a different position for proper alignment.

I made some adjustments by eyeball and the alignment guys said I had it pretty close.

Al

chrisfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta
You Need Spring Compressors To Safley Remove The Springs, Don't Forget These Springs Are Under A Lot Of Tension From The Weight Of The Car And For Absorbing Bumps They..............do Not........... Slack Off Like The Rears Do.

jasonTDI

TDI
Alloq said:
Don't forget to go for an alignment after doing the front struts. If you leave the original springs, some of the rust spots on the suspension parts will tell you if everything is back about where it was. I'd still get it checked afterward. But, if you put some springs like H&Rs in there, the car will sit a little lower and the strut needs a different position for proper alignment.

I made some adjustments by eyeball and the alignment guys said I had it pretty close.

Al

On an A3/B4 yes. Strut change on an A4 car requires no alignment. There is only one way they fit in place.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Jason,
How far can one get into the front suspension before alignment is needed?

What about if the lower control arm is also removed to install the harder TT bushings?

jasonTDI

TDI
Lower C.A. COULD need an alignment. Paint the bolts and realign them in the same place when done and you will be REALLY close. But technically, it needs to have the alignment done. Firestone offers a $160 lifetime alignment package. I have it because every 7500 miles you can bring the car back for a check.