Steering rack programming after replacement

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
2006 Jetta, bought in 2012, it had since the first day a metallic knock while going over bumps or potholes. The inner tie rod was going bad all the time on the affected side (driver), I have diagnosed the rack to have vertical play. Tightening the steering tension nut on the driver side of the rack would improve things, but only for 2 days. I took advantage of the 1 week Christmas vacation and replaced the steering rack with an used one that had the same part number (2nd Generation 1K1 909 144 L), probably with a different software version.
Of course, now I have the red steering warning in the dashboard and no steering assist at all. I got an alignment done yesterday, my question is: can I do some adaptations and a re-set with my VCDS, or I need to take it to the dealer for a software upgrade?
Thanks.

Update 02/21/2023: issue fixed in 2019. The electrical connector to the steering rack was not pressed in enough. After pushing it in the red steering wheel error went away.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
First see what DTC(s) the Steering has. It may simply need the steering angle sensor recalibrated.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Do you have an ABS fault as well...like a bad sensor?
I once found that the steering assist fault could not be recalibrated until the wheel sensor fault was repaired.
The effect was a partial lose of steering assist and the steering wheel would not return to center on its own. You had to un-steer the wheel back.

2 Faults Found:

02546 - Steering Limit Stop
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 - -

The steering was normal until the battery was disconnected and the steering lost its basic setting.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, the A5's electric steering depends on a proper speed signal, which since there is no VSS, is dependent on the ABS' distillation of the 4 wheel speed sensors.

But if no ABS warning lamp is on, I doubt it is related.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
No ABS light on. I have performed other major work at the same time on the car, I would say unrelated to the steering rack (took advantage of the room offered by the removed subframe): upgraded turbo to GTB1749V from Darkside Development, EGR valve deleted and removed (block plate on turbo), EGR cooler removed, new heater hoses, 3 BAR MAP. Installed a stage IV tune from Malone.
When I started the engine the only warning light I got was the red steering. Of course, the steering wheel was off-center as I have also replaced inner and outer tie rods. While driving to the alignment shop, after like 5 miles the ESP warning came on (I assume G85 sensor under the steering wheel, due to the off-center steering wheel). I'll look up the procedure on ross-tech.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: cleared all the codes in the car, some of the modules come back right away with the same error: 01309 Power Steering Control module (J500) 004 No Signal/Communication. At this point, the only error the instrument panel shows is the red steering wheel one. When I try to access the power steering module in VCDS, I get the No response from controller message. Damn, this car is driving me crazy!

Last edited:

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
Check the connections and the rack harness.
It was the main electric connection at the rack (the connector, due to the weird location, was not pushed all the way). Now, instead of the red steering warning and no steering assist, I have the yellow steering warning and I have steering assist. I'll sort out the yellow warning tomorrow, probably some adaptation is needed to be done with VCDS.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Did you drive the car? The steering will re-adapt in about 3 blocks of driving If there are no DTC's set.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
I drove the car for quite a while with the yellow steering warning in the instrument panel. Connected the VCDS, got an error saying the limits adaptation needs to be completed. Performed the adaptation per ROSS TECH:
Engine on, keep the steering wheel centered for 5 seconds than turn it all the way to left and keep it there for 10 seconds than all the way to the right and do the same thing. The yellow warning didn't go away, even after driving the car around the block after the adaptation. Found a posting online that says adaptation needs to be done with the shift lever in drive while pressing the brake, not in parking position. Re-performed the adaptation with the shift lever in drive, the warning light went away right away. I'm happy.

Did you drive the car? The steering will re-adapt in about 3 blocks of driving If there are no DTC's set.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Care to elaborate more on your noise and how you found it? I am trying to trace my noise on my car and only thing left is a shock or maybe the rack? I don't feel any play on the suspension. If the rack is at fault I will try to find a GTi rack from a MkV so it's quicker ratio.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
At some point I took the car to have the DMF replaced (it was driving fine until that point). Got the car back out of alignment with no clunk, took it to Belle Tire for alignment, got the car back with the clunk.
Read online about someone's else experience at a shop where they were trying to separate the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle by going at it with a hammer. By doing so, they have damaged something internally in the steering rack (Tensioner?).
After the alignment, I had to replace the inner and outer tie rods on the driver side every 3-5 months; on one occasion, with the inner tie rod removed, I have wiggled the rack (to which the inner tie rod gets screwed) and noticed vertical play. It was making the typical metal on metal clunk. That was happening while the car was lifted with a jack on the driver side only. While the car was lifted on a hoist, I could not replicate the issue.
At some point, I have replaced the entire suspension with KONI FSD/EIBACH springs, the clunk killed the driver side strut within a week. I thought that maybe the strut was bad from the factory, got a replacement and the clunk got worse, this time spreading towards the passenger side. It got so bad that while I was leaving the parking lot at work, the clunk was so loud that everyone was looking at me concerned that my car will fall apart. The clunk was always happening at low speeds, while going over bumps or potholes. It was clear to me at this point that the steering rack is toast.
I have replaced the steering rack, no more issues. I am not sure what you mean by "quicker ratio", I thought that all the mk5 steering racks have the same ratio.
If you end up replacing it, after you remove the outer tie rod nut and you separate it from the knuckle, remove the 3 nuts from the LCA, and the bolts holding the dog bone. At this point you need to remove the 4 bolts holding the subframe (make sure you have a jack to support it. The electrical connector to the steering rack is prone to breaking (might as well buy one ahead from ECS tunning). The rack, depending if it's 2nd or 3rd generation is held to the subframe by 4 or 3 bolts. Do not buy the remanufactured one from the dealer ($1400). Install a used one, that's what I did.
If you need a used steering rack, I have one extra (I have ended up with two replacements). It's a 2nd generation, part number 1K0909144J, I have tested it (had it on a bench next to the car and connected its harness to the car, verified with VCDS, it works), let me know if you need it, I'll sell it to you for $100 and I will also include a brand new steering rack mount bushing. If your car has a 3rd generation rack, mine would probably not work.
Since the subframe will be lowered, this will be a good opportunity to install a Tyrolsport deadset subframe kit, that will stop subframe shifting in the future and will also ensure the subframe bolts back in place the right way: http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspension/chassis/tyrolsport-deadset-subframe-kit-rear-fwd-mk5/6/7/mqb/
Might also install a dogbone insert kit, to alleviate the other "clunk" that occurs when DSG downshifte from 3rd to second gear. I did install one and it improved things:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/mkv-gti-rabbit-dogbone-mount-insert-kit-red/1k0198000r~3/
This video will help with removal and installation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQM_WWtcoKQ

Last edited:

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Good information! I used to be a mechanic for a living and hung up my apron 5 years ago to do less messy work... So I am not exactly a novice ;) I sounds like the rack had play in the actual worm gear mechanism/rod that comes out of the rack. Typically on hydraulic racks (prior to mkv) they would piss fluid out of the seals. But electric racks don't have fluid in them hence no leak. I once had one car in for service that exhibited play in the Y axis only.

My car clunks over bumps similar to what you described. Yet I have not been able to replicate it on jack stands (one or both sides). I replaced my destroyed strut bearings, ball joints, sway bar links and bushings (car is heavily modified) and noise is still there...

I have not had the time to look at it due to work/winter weather...

I have a set of KW V3, Passat knuckles and control arms with fresh Whiteline bushings ready to install come nice weather. If that clunk is still there after that.... I will have to tackle that rack.

Not all steering racks are created equal.. So the GTi rack is quicker/tigher than the standard Jetta one. It's a noticeable difference as my wife has a 08 GTi which we've had for 8 years now. In 2011 GTi got the slow rack back, interestingly enough TT also had a slower rack but different knuckles which gave you quick steering.

Perfect combination is a GTi rack and TT knuckles but that requires different inner and outer tie rods. Passat knuckles are the middle of the road knuckles and Gti/Jetta cast iron ones are the "slowest" and heaviest.

My Jetta SportWagen is a 2.0 TSi with double plus the stock power. It's a weird bastardchild with some GTi parts and some Package 2 Jetta parts. If I replace something, it's aftermarket and upgraded every time. I tell the wife it works better ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Seth211111

TDI
Golf 6 tsi 1.4 2011
I have a 2011 golf 6 1.4 tsi i just did a steering rack replacement but now i am having a yellow illuminated steering warning light and (Fault stabilization controller) the steering wheel is hard aswell no more power steering assist any suggestions on how i can sort it out thanks in advance

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
Lift the car up and check the main electrical connection to the steering rack, it might come undone during the installation if it's not properly installed. You can check by squeezing your hand between the sub frame the body of the car. While you're there push hard on the connector to make sure is all the way in. Are you sure that the steering rack you have used was working prior to the installation?

Seth211111

TDI
Golf 6 tsi 1.4 2011
Lift the car up and check the main electrical connection to the steering rack, it might come undone during the installation if it's not properly installed. You can check by squeezing your hand between the sub frame the body of the car. While you're there push hard on the connector to make sure is all the way in. Are you sure that the steering rack you have used was working prior to the installation?
I can't be really certain but the spare shop i bought it from said it was working but the funny part is that the motors are not the same my motore is slightly smaller

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the steering rack was the same for every type of motorization for MKVI Jetta, Golf or Sportwagen (of course different revisions, but definitely interchangeable). We are talking about the 3rd generation of electric steering racks. At this point all you can do is follow the steps I have mentioned here and in the private message I have sent you. Also, check the 100 AMP fuse for the steering rack located by the battery. Let us know if it works.

Seth211111

TDI
Golf 6 tsi 1.4 2011
I think the steering rack was the same for every type of motorization for MKVI Jetta, Golf or Sportwagen (of course different revisions, but definitely interchangeable). We are talking about the 3rd generation of electric steering racks. At this point all you can do is follow the steps I have mentioned here and in the private message I have sent you. Also, check the 100 AMP fuse for the steering rack located by the battery. Let us know if it works.
All right thanks a lot for your time brother

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Check the ground(s) ...... I had a very similar issue with a 2008 VW EOS.... ground strap!

nickgolf

TDI
1.9 Golf mk5
On my golf mk5 1.9:

I have an intermittent problem with the red (and amber) steering light, when the steering telltale isn't red I can connect to the steering rack using VCDS and it tells me that the steering rack isn't receiving signals. When it is red, I can't connect to the VCDS.

I have checked the grounds and connector near the headlight which looks ok but haven't yet checked the connector on the steering rack itself due to not wanting to take the front subframe off yet. Is there an easy way to get to the connector and check for corrosion etc, can someone provide any pictures?