Scangauge2/Autometer Gauges questions

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Hey there, I'm new to the forums (been lurking them for a while now though) and had a quick question. I picked up a VAGcom for my TDI already and also wanted to pick up a scan gage to monitor my fuel economy in realtime. My question is, am I better off:

1.) Getting the cheaper scangageE and installing autometer gages to measure things like boost/EGT's etc. If I chose this option I'd want to know whats the best way to mount them (pictures of your setup would be nice) and what I'd want to monitor. Boost and EGT's make sense but is there anything else I should also monitor on these cars?

2.) Just get the more expensive scangage2 and rely on that to monitor everything including boost/EGTs etc? I know it has the ability to monitor 15 functions or something of the sort but it seems to me that the scangage2 might be a little less reliable or at least a little less easy to read alongside the fuel economy readings than the Autometers, plus I like the look of the gages perhaps on the A-piller or mounted somewhere on the dash.

Opinions/pictures of your setups would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
There is no sensor in your engine/turbo for EGTs. Therefore, scangauge cannot display it. Moreover, the boost function lags and is of little use, IMHO. I mount mine on the steering column and monitor coolant temp, air intake temp, corrected speed and MPG per trip.

If you want to monitor your boost and EGT, nothing beats a standard mechanical/analog gauge. I have the scangauge II and an autometer boost gauge. Very happy with both.

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

78 views and no one has any gauges/scangauges in their cars? Kammmm Annnnn!!!! I know how hardcore you TDI guys are!

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Another option if you want all that in one gauge is the aeroforce interceptor. You'll also need their egt and boost sensors.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
There is no sensor in your engine/turbo for EGTs. Therefore, scangauge cannot display it. Moreover, the boost function lags and is of little use, IMHO. I mount mine on the steering column and monitor coolant temp, air intake temp, corrected speed and MPG per trip.

If you want to monitor your boost and EGT, nothing beats a standard mechanical/analog gauge. I have the scangauge II and an autometer boost gauge. Very happy with both.
+1, but like an electronic boost gauge with stand alone sensor - no buzzing.

SG is nearly worthless to monitor the turbo, too slow. I do like my SG II though and use it the same as Lex. For the casual modder a boost gauge and EGT gauge will suffice. If you want to push the envelope add an EMP gauge to help set-up the turbo and tune.

Here is a gauge mounting option:

http://www.newsouthperformance.com/mk4panel.htm

Here is what I use for boost/EGT gauge:

http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/boost_psi_egt.htm