I want my car like my women: build for comfort not speed!

2snakes

TDI
2015 Passat tdi 25k
Fellow TDI'ers,

I've reached the point in my life that I want my car like I want my women: build for comfort- rather than speed!!

I have a 96 b4 passat sedan. About a year ago I had rear struts put on by my local mechanic. He put on Monroes. The thing really almost began to "thud" as it would go over expansion joints, and small bumps. The mechanic said the harshness was probably due to wore/hardened bushings and mounts. I think it's the Monroe's.

So I replaced all the front end bushings, strut mounts and rear strut mounts but the poor jolty, bumpy, ride persist.

I"ve heard a lot about better performance from Koni and Blistens, but what about ride? Am I better to just go with stock OEM?

My local foreign car parts guy recommends the low pressure gas Koni and says they give the best ride. I'm unsure who to believe at this point other than someone who actually has tried a OEM vs Koni.

What do you folks suggest???

Marc O.
1996 B4 Sedan
357PP Injectors
Stage 2 Rocketchip

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
I havent been able to compare Koni vs oem shocks struts , but I just put on the Billy TC's with new mounts and love the ride and the power transfer makes it feel more responsive at throttle,,that said I still have the occasional bump/knocks to the body I beleive are the old body mounts which I think Im going to live with as I dont foresee changeing those.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Yup, econo TC are the real deal. Good ride comfort and NO crashing over sharp bumps and at the same time good damping of body roll and nasty stuff when attacking a ramp. I love em. And I've driven everything on the street including Bilstein Race/Rally valved struts and shocks on a gutted A1 Rabbit...don't buy those :D I had a few Konis, don't know what valving, but they were all kinda harsh, especially on compression.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
I havent weeded out my koni yellows but not impressed yet and they do hit bones like a skinny girl in the sack. I mated mine to neuspeed sport springs and replaced my bumper parts as well the rubbers in the tower were quite compressed compared to the new stuff I put in.