1983 Toyota 4x4 AHU Swap

dh13

TDI
1983 Toyota 4x4 AHU, 1994 Cummins, 1991 Jetta TD
Thanks.

Jimbote - I will get a video of it when I start driving it.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Love it. My flatbed is at the powder coater right now and I am working on the cab body work. I should have found a truck that was in better shape like your's. Nice work.

Thanx
Jaysin

dh13

TDI
Love it. My flatbed is at the powder coater right now and I am working on the cab body work. I should have found a truck that was in better shape like your's. Nice work.

Thanx
Jaysin
Thanks Jaysin, I appreciate it. Coming from someone with your fabrication skill is pretty cool. Love your truck as well.

My bed will be sent to the sand blaster, then most likely I will have it shot with LineX or Rhino...

dh13

TDI
Sorry for the late response.

I have not been working on the truck due to going back to school. When I graduated with my bachelor's degree, I thought I was done.... Wrong.

I decided I would go back to school and get a master's degree.

I will be finishing up the truck during the summer. Check back in June and there should be some more progress.

Thank you
Dan

dh13

TDI
Any updates on this awesome project? Also, it's nice to see a fellow Portlander on here.
I finally finished school for the year; however, unfortunately and, well fortunately - I am working out of town. I do however make it back to Portland on the weekends.

Last weekend I have to do a little cleaning up of the shop and shuffling of vehicles around so that I can start working on this project again. If I can kick this cold I will hope to have some updates next Sunday.

The tasks on the list include:

1. Finish the flatbed (add two more tubes, the license plate holder, fender trim, and finally protection for the tail lights)
2. Install the the radio and wiring for (2) speakers
3. Finish interior install
4. Board panels
5. New motor mount design
6. Front bumper

Off the top of my head, those are the major tasks that need to be started/completed.

Over the weekend, should I be able to work on the project, I plan to complete (1) for sure. Might start working on the motor mounts or at least purchase the new mounts that I plan on running and starting cutting the brackets for them.

Check back often.

Thank you
D

DualcertK9

TDI
Wanting to TDi swap a 'yota!
Is there life??? Have you had some time to do some stuff to the 'yota. Pretty damn awesome truck.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I got a 94 pickup I plan to do the Volvo radiator,intercooler and use the Volvo fan..

I plan on putting in a AFN motor euro spec of AHU and can accept vnt turbos ..

Now for ac what could I do? Stock Toyota? Vw ac compressor and use Volvo ac condenser ??? Any ideas

Also what hose to use on the Volvo parts to connect them.. I'm guessing also have to add a vw coolant expansion tank? Those bubble things?

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Quick question: when installing the oilite pilot bushing into crankshaft, do you press it all the way in or flush with the bore?

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
I would do flush with the bore, since the input shaft goes through it.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I wasn't sure how close the tapered part of the input shaft got to crankshaft, don't want the taper up against the bushing but don't want to tap the bushing all the way and reduce the amount of contact it has with the input shaft.

dh13

TDI
Update

So I know it has been a long time since I have posted anything. I have nothing other than bad news... The truck has been moved to our new shop and nothing has been completed.

I went to start the truck a few months back and it would not start. Finally got it running, however, the engine will only idle. I assume that the injection pump or injectors are plugged. Since the truck was originally gasoline, even after steam cleaning the fuel tank out some lacquer was left behind. I think it made it past my fuel filter and into the pump and injectors. My plan is to send them off to Giles for a little work over.

Should have it up an running by the new year.

I am currently finishing up graduate school and I am consumed with moving and my thesis at this moment. Stay tuned for updates.

Thank
DH