Heater vent

Oryx

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a 2003 Golf TDI.
VW did a good job with the rear windshield defroster(The element lines cover the whole window including where the wiper sits so it never gets stuck.). Contrary to my previous vehicle where the element lines didn't cover the wiper area and it would always get stuck under ice/snow. But at least the windshield vent would blow air from the bottom of the windshield all the way to the top and left and right so it would never get covered with ice or the wipers stay stuck. Unfortunately the windshield vent on my Golf 2003 only blows air on the top half of the windshield and not enough to the left. Needless to say i wasn't very impressed when i had the heater full blast on the windshield and i would still get the left and bottom half of my windshield covered with ice while i was driving. I had to pull over because it was getting out of hand !!! I was getting a lot of hot air from the vent but it isn't being directed correctly. My brother has the same problem with his 03 Jetta and he isn't impressed either. Am i the only one that is complaining about this or what ? All that VW has to do is change the direction the windshield vent blows it's air so that it covers the whole wind shield and not just the top half and right. It was pretty mild yesterday at -6'c and i don't even want to think how bad it could be if it goes down to -20'c and then it starts snowing. Does VW have a better vent screen for the windshield vent ? And what about those 2 vents on either side of the dash/console, the round ones that don't do anything, if those 2 would be pointing at the windshield instead of towards the cabin it would probably help a LOT to prevent ice up on the left and right.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
turn on the AC for the first few moments when you defrost. It dehumidifies the interior.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

edit: oh crap, i just realised you're talking about SNOW not moisture from rain. heh stupid californians. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Oryx

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a 2003 Golf TDI.
Hummmmm..... The ice is forming OUTSIDE not inside the car. What would help is if the air vent would direct some of the air to the base of the windshield and not just the top half. All they have to do is modify the pitch from the vent blades or move the vent closer to the windshield. I don't think the vent system was designed for winter weather, funny thing is that the rear defroster is well designed(The whole window gets defrosted and the wiper never gets stuck with ice.).

PS: I replied before reading your PS /images/graemlins/smile.gif

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I wonder if the plastic insert in the defroster vent is installed backwards? /images/graemlins/confused.gif