Suggestions Please

CharlyDD

TDI
2001 Golf
Hi Can you please suggest a reasonably priced OBD scanner which I can use to read and reset the codes on a 2001 Golf TDI (US model - manfd in Brazil) ?
Will I need to order any special adapters with that for the TDI ?

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
If all you need to do is read and clear codes then for a 2001 model you can get by with the shareware version of VAG-COM and a generic OBD interface for your laptop. Of course if you actually intend to do major work on your TDI, such as a timing belt change or changing any of the ECU parameters, you will need a registered VAG-COM system. You can do this incrementally by getting a generic OBD interface that works with the VAG-COM shareware, use it without a license to read and clear codes and then register it when you need the licensed functions.

Of course there are arguments to be made for the VAG-COM product for several reasons, including higher quality and sampling rates. You get full support with a VAG-COM product while there is none with a generic interface on the unlicensed shareware and limited support for the generic interface on the licensed shareware.

So in summary, "you pays your money and you makes your choice."

nomrah20

TDI
2000 New Bug
Defiiinnnnaaaattttlllly get the Genuine Vag-Com, from http://www.Ross-Tech.com I just spent the last two days chasing Vacume leaks, Gloplugs, Gloplug Harness, Tore out the EGR replaced with Race pipe and block off and muffellerectomy, all due to my new Vag-Com, WOW awesome piece of equipment, I had suffered with a regular ODBII scanner to clear codes and diagnose for a couple years and I finnaly said the heck with it and bought One. I documented 17 fault codes that I didnt know were even in the ECU, and repaired a ton of little stuff, and all I can say is WOW. The car has never run this well. The real live data feed Vag-Tach almost killed me though. If you drive with yer lap top and try to watch it,,,, you wont be watching the road. Enough Said. LOL,,, There is so much info the system gives you and is really pretty easy to use. I even found out I had heated mirrors on my car, I had no idea until I found the fault code, I replaced one $10.00 part cleared the code, and now they both have steam coming off them in the mornings. I'm 200 miles from the nearest Trustworth Dealer, and I dont trust to many folks with my baby diesel, so I made the splurge.. again I say its very well worth it.