Use current oil for lifter break in?

D2000

TDI
1Z engine
I'm going to install a new camshaft and lifters on a 1Z engine (maybe from 1996 Passat TDI). I have 5000 miles on the current oil. Can I use this oil for the lifter break in then put in a new oil filter and oil or, should I use new oil for the break in. (Break in being about 20 minutes 2000-2500 rpm).

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Don’t they sell break in oil, for this? Not sure if it’s snake oil, but also not sure if I’d want to risk the new cam and lifters...

-Todd

TDI-684

TDI
B4TDI
I would not be as worried about your existing oil as I would be of the initial start up - Back in the day (years ago for me) we always used assembly lube on a new cam and lifters - that's it. If I had to do this today, I'd probably also add 1/2 can of Liqui-Moly MoS2 to the existing oil and run it out to 10K. The big question is what happened to your original cam/lifter set ? - if they went toast catastrophically - you may want to change oil before you install anything new.

Last edited:

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf Tdi manual transmission. Wife's car a 2014 toured v6 Tdi
I think I would change the oil before starting. And again after a short run to catch anything from reassembly process. That just me. Could use chevron Dello. Run for twenty minutes then change again.

D2000

TDI
1Z engine
Yes I will use assembly lube for installation and break-in additive. I was going to do the install and break-in just before my next oil change. Old camshaft lobes looks worn.