MPG discussion - Sportwagen

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I don’t think it’s the weight that makes the difference unless you are stopping and starting. I think the wider tires have more rolling resistance. More air drag too but not much of the wheel hangs below the car so maybe that difference is small.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I don’t think it’s the weight that makes the difference unless you are stopping and starting. I think the wider tires have more rolling resistance. More air drag too but not much of the wheel hangs below the car so maybe that difference is small.
I think it's small... My 80mile commutes I regularly get "real calculated" 55mpg on my summer setup with 17x8 Konig Oversteer and Continental SureContact 235/45ZR17's. Wheel is 19lb and tire is 21lb and I'd say I have maybe seen slightly better on my 15in factory setup.

The key to getting everything you can out of these cars is speed. Don't hammer it from a stop and of course, try to keep a steady and safe pace and you'll see huge gains. I can still get up to 40mpg in town but I also think driving TDI's for decade has taught me some tricks so I know the very seasoned TDIers could do even better.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Seems to me the consensus on Mk4 cars at least was that going from stock 15" to 17-18" wheels was good for a 3-4 mpg hit. Never tested the theory myself though.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Unsprung weight (like wheels and tires) hits mileage a lot harder than it seems.

I haven't checked the weight differences between the 15 an 17-18" wheel/tire setups on our dubs, but even a mere 5lbs would be about a 10% increase in weight on all four corners and nearly a full size adult in terms of how much unsprung weight "weighs" in use.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
For those with a DSG, has manually shifting at lower RPMs resulted in better fuel mileage?
I drive in S mode all the time (new S shifting program is more like D in the MK5/6) and downshift regularly (as in almost every slow down that simply letting off accelerating can't take care of) but don't typically use just Manual mode. The regular D shifts pretty early as it is, not sure using manual to shift even lower will net much efficiency.

Interested to hear whatever else has to say though.

jmasciulli

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S DSG, 2004 VW Golf GLS TDI (sold 2014)
I drive in S mode all the time (new S shifting program is more like D in the MK5/6) and downshift regularly (as in almost every slow down that simply letting off accelerating can't take care of) but don't typically use just Manual mode. The regular D shifts pretty early as it is, not sure using manual to shift even lower will net much efficiency.
Interested to hear whatever else has to say though.
I find mine shifts from 1st to 2nd at around 3,000 RPMs. In my Mk IV manual, I'd shift at 2,000 for every gear. I was thinking that manually shifting at 2,000 might help fuel economy.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I find mine shifts from 1st to 2nd at around 3,000 RPMs. In my Mk IV manual, I'd shift at 2,000 for every gear. I was thinking that manually shifting at 2,000 might help fuel economy.

In D mine generally would shift at 1800 and in S it shifts at 2200. I'm still on phase 1 so hopefully they don't screw up the DSG shift pattern too much with phase 2. I put on about 35k in a year so need another couple months before I go in for phase 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmasciulli

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S DSG, 2004 VW Golf GLS TDI (sold 2014)
In D mine generally would shift at 1800 and in S it shifts at 2200. I'm still on phase 1 so hopefully they don't screw up the DSG shift pattern too much with phase 2. I put on about 35k in a year so need another couple months before I go in for phase 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I might have misjudged my shift points. In D, the shift points depend on how much throttle. I noticed that the shift points are like you describe if I'm easy on the throttle.

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
My personal best fuel economy is 60.8 mpg--hand calculated. The MFD read as high as 68.8 mpg. I wanted to achieve 700 miles on a tank and did 714.1. Took about 11.774 gallons to fill the tank, so technically I had about 1.7 gallons of fuel left in the tank. My next goal is an 800 mile tank--not sure if the wife is on board with that. We were carrying quite a load and still got over 60 mpgs. I am amazed at how far this car can go on a gallon of fuel.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
My personal best fuel economy is 60.8 mpg--hand calculated. The MFD read as high as 68.8 mpg. I wanted to achieve 700 miles on a tank and did 714.1. Took about 11.774 gallons to fill the tank, so technically I had about 1.7 gallons of fuel left in the tank. My next goal is an 800 mile tank--not sure if the wife is on board with that. We were carrying quite a load and still got over 60 mpgs. I am amazed at how far this car can go on a gallon of fuel.

Nice work! If you top to the brim, you can get 12.8+ gallons in. When I got my 800 mile tank, I ended up going 17 miles past the car telling me zero miles to empty. That tank was 62.6 mpg.